1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Of Crows And Men -- Flash Fiction

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by ojaantrik, May 19, 2017.

1. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

Nice one Oj' da

Well defines the term an "act of kindness" - why is it an act? we feel sorry for an occurance for that happens beyond our boundary and if that happens within, then we are upset - the last line. This emphasizes "freedom and the nose" saying.

Doree and ojaantrik like this.
  2. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

Naughty old man!! After assuring the community that you had nothing more to add over what had already been said, you managed to slip in the final word on the subject. :nut:

oj

3. ojaantrik

Dear GG,

Most impressive comment. I am wondering now whose freedom you are talking about. I suppose it is the crow's. I fought for its life beyond the boundaries of my balcony. And then I questioned its right to visit the balcony itself. On the other hand, it could have been my own freedom as well. I am free to fight for living beings away from home, but back home, the tip of my nose insists on rigid discipline!

oj-da

Doree, satchitananda and GoogleGlass like this.
  4. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Crow trying to attack you when you are with your camera is to protect her babies
    Dear Oj sir,
    The crow is protecting her babies, motherly instinct...once she trusts you it would be friendly with you.
    Syamala

ojaantrik likes this.
  5. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Oj-da,

You made me look up everything about crows - heir nests, their habits which led me to remember "kakah krishnah, pkah krishnah!" I have been myself surprised with the presence of a couple of crows n our neighborhood. Come winter, they usually disappear but with a mild winter, they seem to be enjoying!

Anyways, my intent of coming here was to tell you how much enjoyed this writing, not to speak of crows in our neighborhood! With spring, all I hear is the chirping of birds around me and the cawing disappears like it never existed. I was in fact surprised waking up to the delightful squeals of children today only to realize that I have slept in longer than usual but that made me realize how delightful that is!

ojaantrik and satchitananda like this.
  6. ojaantrik

Dear Syamala,

That is no doubt the case. And remember that the world's most dangerous animal is MAN/WOMAN !!

oj

7. ojaantrik

Dear Srama,

It's not exactly springtime here now. But the full throated cry of a koel wakes me up every morning. What on earth is the koel crying for in the middle of summer? I need to inquire about this. Has it lost its mate? Or is it calling out for the monsoons to arrive?

Liked your reference to
    Do you really believe that the crow is a useless bird? I don't. After all, it is a scavenger, which the koel is not!! Worse, it lays its eggs in the crow's nest. Doesn't even care for its own offsprings. :weary:

Btw, your quote काकः कृष्णः ... reminded me of a Bengali song sung long, long, long ago by Hemanta Mukherjee. It goes Loosely translated, the first two lines say: Krishna is dark, so is darkness itself. Why then did you not fall in love with me?

oj-da

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  8. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Oja,

After going through your writing, this is what I feel about you! If you had not been in the present profession, I strongly believe that you could have been a talented cameraman, whose lens doesn't fail to capture even the minute details,something which even the human eyes fail to recognise. Crows have been my best friends, a bunch of them always waiting for my hot fluffy phulkas which I feed them fondly. Among them, I had a soft corner for a disabled crow, which I would feed after all the crows had left. Kudos for your expertise in bringing life to ordinary incidents through your extraordinary writing power!

Agatha83

ojaantrik likes this.
  9. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Agatha83
    You hit the proverbial nail on its customary head! OJ has a golden touch. Whatever he does, he puts his heart and soul into it. He is an ace photographer, as good as the best in the field. His quest for perfection in anything that he chooses to do never leaves him in peace. My admiration for him knows no bounds.
    Sri

shyamala1234 and ojaantrik like this.
  10. ojaantrik

Dear Agatha,

Thank you for your kind words. Coincidentally enough, I did try out photography several years ago, between 1980 and 1990 I think. I realized that it was a challenging job. One needed to understand the camera in two different ways. The physics of it and the artistry that it demands.

I read up the necessary books covering the physics of the camera, but then I needed to figure out the art of the camera. The most important thing that I saw in the process was that one must understand how the camera is viewing the object being photographed as opposed to the way the human eye tends to view it. There is a world of difference. I think Satchi in IL knows all about the matter. I needed to train my eyes to turn into a pair of camera lens. Yet, this was the not the end of the struggle. The question of composition came up. Not much different from writing. You can describe the same object in totally different ways to express completely divergent sentiments.

There is a story that I heard when I was very young. I think my mother told me the tale. On observing a dried up log of wood lying on the wayside, two poets described it in two different ways in Sanskrit. One said: shushkam kashtham tishthat agre, while the other one said, neerasa taruvara purtah bhaati. Some ascribe the second of the descriptions to Kalidasa, but I am not learned enough to verify the authenticity of such claims. Also, I can't exactly remember who was the first of the poets. I don't see anything wrong in the first description though, since it all depends on the sentiment you are trying to arouse.

In any case, composition, in the case of photography, is comparable to such stories. There is little point in clicking a camera shutter unless one doesn't know what story he is trying to capture. Of course, you can dress up things later on while you are developing and printing the photograph. That brings in the chemistry of photography, on which again I had to spend a good deal of time.

Now that photography has gone digital, a robot works for you as far as the chemistry goes. But the physics part is still most important, so is the composition part. I lost interest in photography and got involved in writing a few years later. They are both art forms as far as I can see.

And of course, a crow is an interesting bird in my opinion. I once wrote a haiku involving a pair of crows. I called

Intriguing Silence — A Haiku

One doesn't associate silence with crows, but it all depends on the point of view. It is a very short composition.

Like you, I think I am interested in crows!!

Thanks again.

oja

Last edited: May 21, 2017
    shyamala1234 and Doree like this.