1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Now And Then, I Think Of Then And Now!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Feb 13, 2018.

1. SCSusila

SCSusila Gold IL'ite

Nice thoughts shared here by all.
    Everything always keeps changing . No change means world is stagnating .
    Ganesh chaturthi was a small poojai once . Because of some freedom fighters idea, it has become big dhoom dhaam event. There was no akshaya tritiyai celebratiin when i was young . Now its called an “Indian Tradition “ :)

In my case , then or now , sivaratri or no sivaratri , my sleeptime has always been 11pm. So i dont really know what older people did in those days .
    Nowadays Fivestar Godmen are promoting full night hungama as sivaratri Which we can later see on Youtube .
    So long as people enjoy without harming others , chalta hai !

sindmani, MonikaSG and Thyagarajan like this.
  2. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:THEN - in the yore of days, people had enough productive work nourishing the body and mind as well and after day's hard work from 4 am to 6 pm excepting a nap under the shade of canopy of trees after finishing lunch with nutritious porridge and or buttermilk. evening they gone to bed early by 7. yes there chief entertainment excepting festival days was sound sleep and of course having two many children. all of them at home were healthy with everything produced nearby organically and whatever waste generated it was put into conscious healthy usage. it was high thinking and simple living they had time for everything. in short we had nothing but had everything essential.
    NOW - everyday is almost siva rathri. all in relation ship hush hush - multiple gadgets - each at home sitting looking in different direction as seen in group of navagraha Gods - during off office hours - vee hours, prefer to eat untimely circadian affecting hybrid-packed non organic food items - watching channels turning couch potatoes, avoid hobnobbing, social calling and eventually feel depressed with too much of everything but nothing gives inner happiness or satisfaction. generous bonding among siblings diminishing; in the name of the comfort, things produced wasted or more waste generated that lands in tonnes into the ocean. they claim world is becoming warmer and blaming the weather changes over the globe and sit in summit to minimize the dangers of consumerism. Now we have everything but nothing essential.
    the world is to be set right. here is an anecdote.
    A retired Army General was seriously browsing through morning News Paper. His hyper active bubbly grand daughter was making noise around with her toys. He stood up, took out a paper world map printed on it on one side - tore into large pieces. he handed over the torn pieces to the young vibrant girl telling her to join the pieces so that world would appear on the sheet. the girl started working on it and disappeared from his vicinity. the man had a sigh of relief. but alas she returned in a jiffy with the pieces joined already but the pieces aligned in a collage on another sheet of paper. The nonplussed General wondered how she could do it so soon. When asked, the girl said,
    she saw on the other side of torn pieces printed hand head face etc. and when I set the man all-right, the world became all-right.
    Regards.
    God Bless Us All Always.

MonikaSG likes this.
  3. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Srama
    My dear Sabi
    I never understand about this phrase 'good old days'. In an ever progressing world, how can we keep on talking about good old days? Perhaps they mean 'very old days' when they talk of good old days. At well over mid seventies, I am often being mentioned as good old man by my juniors. What they mean is 'very old man' because I know that there is nothing good about me that people can discuss about! But as you say, people who keep bragging about 'good old days' are instantly avoided by others!
    When I was young, my aunt would keep enthralling us with stories of yore. But today children are more interested in fantasies about future. Kids line up for buying Harry Potter and novels like that. I was just going through the ten best sellers of all times. Da Vinci Code of Dan Brown leads the pack with over 5 million copies. Of the remaining nine, Harry Potter novels take the next 7 places! They are all labelled as 'Children's Fiction'!
    For several years, I had no clue about the significance of Shivaratri. There was no Wikipedia those days! I came to know about the significance of this day much later in my life. This was the day when Lord Shiva drank the poison that came out when the Ocean of Milk was churned.
    I too would have remained totally ignorant about the life of Sri Raghavendra had I not seen Rajinikanth's movie on the saint in the mid 80's. After seeing the movie, I visited the birthplace of the Saint at Bhuvanagiri in Tamilnadu and his Samadhi at Mantralaya.
    When you mentioned 'Shiva Shiva', my mind went back to the Tyagaraja Kriti 'Shiva Shiva Shiva ena radha' The song means, 'Why do you not say, "Shiva Shiva Shiva", crushing off the cycle of rebirth, fear and suffering?'
    I must catch you early morning for all my new posts for such a high quality response! A big thank you for that!
    Sri

Srama likes this.
  4. Cheeniya

@Viswamitra
    You should rephrase it as 'chanting in between dancing'. Jaggi appears to be a good dancer as some of his jigs would have gladdened the heart of guys like Fred Astaire!
    That too with tickets for admission ranging between Rs.500 and Rs.50000. And actress Tamanna sitting in the first row smiling coquettishly! Siva, Siva!
    When I was your age, I too spent the night like that in the holy shrines of Vaitheeswaran Koil, Tiruvannamalai and Kapaleeswarar Temple until this man Jaggi spoiled me. Jaggi's brochure says 'Explosive guided meditations accompanied by Dance and Music'. That's the modern version of Shivratri!

5. Cheeniya

@joylokhi
    Oh, don't spoil me with that kind of praise! You know I am a rambler. I always hope that nothing I write will make any sense!

6. Cheeniya

@jayasala42
    Dear jayasala
    It's always nice to see you gracing my thread with your response.
    For the information of others, here is a short view of Jaggi's thoughts on Yugas
    We also had an ancient 'Saligramam' at home which required very austere living style. My mother wanted it to be sent to some Temple considering the level of 'aacharam' in the modern times. This was done accordingly.
    Sri

7. Cheeniya

@iyerviji
    My dear Viji
    Nobody can beat you when it comes to youthful fan following. You have a unique style of writing that attracts youngsters. I am really happy for you.
    Sri

iyerviji likes this.
  8. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Anna , I was thinking whether what I wrote is ok or not

9. Cheeniya

@Vandhuamma
    I am very happy to have made you happy but don't put me on such an elevated position to feel happy even to get a Feedback from me! I am like any other member of this wonderful community. I have no other mentionable attribute other than that I have been here for well over a decade. We are all on the level in this community.
    Sri

Vandhuamma and Thyagarajan like this.
  10. Cheeniya

@Thyagarajan
    My dear Thyagu
    Thanks for stepping in with your typical FB. I find that you take as much an active part in any thread as if it is your own. This feeling of kinship is really heartening. Marina is vastly different now from what we have seen of it decades back. Today people have become so health conscious that they consume anything that is branded as health-giving. Bermuda Grass Juice (Arugampullu juice) is one example. It is funny that the consumers of such health-giving juices counter the effect of the same by consuming a couple of 'stiff' drinks in the club by nightfall!
    Sri

sindmani and Thyagarajan like this.