1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Not getting milk :-(

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by ssubhasr, Jul 19, 2008.

1. ssubhasr

ssubhasr Silver IL'ite

Hi

I recently delivered - 14th July. I want to do breast feeding. but am not getting milk. I tried pumping also. But still no milk. My breasts are paining a lot and today am unable to pump. Pl help me getting milk..... :-(

2. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Hi Subha,
    Sometimes breast milk takes 6-7 days to come in - for me atleast it came in only at the end of Day 4. The best thing is to put the baby to breast every 2 hours BEFORE giving any formula, not using a bottle for formula (I used a cup/spoon) and relaxing yourself as well as taking lots of fluids. Its normal physiology for your breasts to secrete milk and believe me you will - persistence and patience are key. As long as your baby is sucking (even if there is not much milk) you dont need to pump - dont hurt yourself or stress yourself out - it will happen , probably this weekend!

Vanathi.

PS - Just make sure your LO is wetting 5-6 diapers atleast so you know that he isnt getting dehydrated.

3. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    I would like to suggest what my gynac did for me.Instead of the baby do all the sucking,first try to pull out our nipples and try to squeeze by yourself..it hurts though.. and later let your baby nurse.Do this every time before you feed.Once they get used to bottlefeeding for some kids..they may not like BF..
    If more help I think there will be lactation consultants in your hospital.Seek their help.

4. lakshmy

lakshmy Senior IL'ite

hi subha,

eat garlic fried in ghee...... you will get sufficent milk for the baby

5. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

6. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

Is u'r breast very hard ?Sometimes too much engorgement can cause no milk flow.

7. ssubhasr

ssubhasr Silver IL'ite

Thank you for the suggestions & soothing words. Will try & let you know :)

8. mangaii

Hi ssubhasr,
    Since your in US is it possible for you to meet LC at your hospital and talk about your concerns.
    How frequently do you put your baby to breast ?
    Do you feel the sucking ?Sometimes the baby might have a week suck.Can you manually try to squeeze. Are u'r breast soft/hard?
    Try eating oatmeal for breakfast and also fenugreek capsules.Drink as much as water. Genereally hospitals in US give a manual pump for free or you can rent a hospital grade pump .Try pumping maybe few seconds before putting baby to breast.It will help in milk production.
    I hope you have a successful breastfeeding relationship.
    Thanks
    Mangai

9. ssubhasr

ssubhasr Silver IL'ite

Hi Magai
    The LC at my hospital didn't give any valid suggestions.
    I use to breast feed every 6hrs only, as am having a sever pain in my breast due to the usage of Brest Pump. I rented a breast pump from the hospital for a week. And am also taking lot of fluids like apple juice, vitamin water etc.,

Will follow you suggestion of pumping few seconds befor putting baby to breast. What is Fenugreek capsules ? Shall we take that without doctor's prescription ? Pl let me know....

10. mangaii

Hi ssubhasr,
    Can you ask your pediatrician to refer to some other LC .You need to pay seperately for them.The LC's who visit after labour don't help much.But if you can afford to see one in private they will try to correct latch and help you diagonise the issue.
    Is it possible for you try putting baby every 2 hours ?
    Initially the baby and mom both are in learning phase so its kind of difficult.But after a week you both will get a hang of it.Do you have any elders with you who can give some suggestions.
    If your hospital has maternity store then they will sell fenugreek tablets.Its nothing but methi seeds in form of capsules easier to eat. It will surely help in milk production.
    Don't pump too much.Just pump to stimulate the breast.What is the speed u'r keeping for pump ?Maybe just do for few minutes.
    Sometimes milk take some time to come.Do you think the baby is getting colostrum from you?
    Just air dry your nipples for sometime after pumping.If you feel pumping is painful maybe try hand expressing.
    Can you try sns method feeding.You attach a small tube in the breast with bottle hanging over.So just when baby is swallowing you can control the flow of milk from bottle.This way baby thinks its getting milk from breast and start sucking them actively. I don't know why your hospital did'nt provide all those kits when you got discharged.Can you call them and ask them that you want a breastfeeding kit.
    Let me know if you any questions.
    Thanks
    Mangai