Normal delivery Vs C-Section

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by dsrini, Apr 26, 2007.

1. dubbi

dubbi Bronze IL'ite

Hi I am a childbirth educator and I just want to find out if this is your first baby and have you been offered an elective C-section choice.

The first thing to do would be to get yourself enroled in a childbirth class where you will understand how fear of labor itself comes in the way of a natural birth. try to list your fears and figure out how you and every woman can cope with labor with the right kind of support and natural and medical pain relief options.

I have 2 kids , both normal deliveries with episiotomies, so I know what the pain is about and how to come over it. C-section should be only for medical purposes and no other personal reasons.

Try to find an OB who beleives in a more natural birth and will hold back on induction, episiotomy and will encourage movement and different positions in labor.

Your husband can play a great role in encouraging and motivating you during labor. YOu can also maybe look out for doula ( labor support person) and your insurance I think will pay for both childbirth class and doula( pls check)

First step is to put away fear. Labor is painful but it is something you will not even remember once you see your baby and thats why so many of us have more children.

If you need more info do write in.

Best Wishes
    Deepa

Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
    sindmani likes this.
  2. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

I forgot to mention earlier (until dubbi mentioned it) we had hired a Doula and she was an immense help. We didn't go for any childbirth classes, but the Doula helped me with breathing, pain management and emotional support and the best part was during all this support she didn't take my husband's place. He was still there for me all through the labor, pushing and delivery cheering me on, and standing by me and telling me that I can do it. She arrived at 6 am to our house and was with me until the baby was born around 8 pm, and a little after that. We are now really good friends.

If thinking of hiring a Doula, make sure that she's registered by the Doulas of North America (DONA) International. I found mine through the website.

Raj

3. diyaa

diyaa New IL'ite

hello all, thanks for your responses.

dubbi/deepa, yes this is my first child. i would be going to india for delivery. i have attended childbirth classes. i'm not scared of the actual labor pain. i think i can manage that. i'm only scared of the episiotomy or tear. i have heard horror stories from my cousins and friends who have had episiotomies. they had to go through so much pain and their sex life is yet to return to normal. they still feel the pain even after so many years. most of them opted for c-section for their second babies and they felt it was much better. they feel they should have opted for c-section even for the first one so that they didnt have to go through so much pain. may be some women are simply not meant for vaginal delivery. that is why i asked that question. luckily, in india, at least we have the option to choose c-section if we want to unlike countries like US or canada where normal delivery is forced on you whether u like it or not. of course, i agree, there are lots of risks and disadvantages in c-section. but there are disadvantages in normal delivery too....!

riyasmommy, yes i agree with you. doula is a very good option. thanks for suggesting it! but im not sure if doulas are available in india. it is relatively a new concept there.

Mery likes this.
  4. dubbi

dubbi Bronze IL'ite

Hi diya

Where in India would you come to? I can suggest some options for you. YOu have to find a doc does not do an epi as a rountine and in the west with doula support there are ways to manage that.

Also the GYN ( who does the epi )needs to be recommended for her skills and she does the epi. Also pain from the epi can be managed with cushioning, sitz bath, cold napkin, pain killers. Yes it is bad and I am absolutely not for it. But try and find out doctors who can be willing to handle without epi.

Give me more details. I will try to recommend through my network.

Deepa

5. diyaa

diyaa New IL'ite

Thanks Dubbi.
    I would be coming to Bangalore for delivery. If you could pass on any leads to me that would be great.

Thanks for your help!

6. dubbi

dubbi Bronze IL'ite

Hi Diya

Its nice to know you are coming to B'lore. There are some doulas there and I am sure you will get some wonderful support and will be be able to confidently deliver normally and naturally with doctors who are supportive and encouraging. give me more details like which stage you are in and when will you come here and where in b'lore. you can email me at deepasanthosh(at)gmail(dot)com

Cheers
    Deepa

7. diyaa

diyaa New IL'ite

Thanks deepa. I have made a note of your email id..I will drop you a mail soon.

8. harisur

harisur New IL'ite

Normal or c-section is sometimes decided at the last moment only. I wish to talk about what I went thru. My first son was born in India in '99. When I went for a check-up 5 days after my due date the doctor said that the baby hadn't turned at all and had to do emergency c-section. He was born with me not experiencing any labour pain and fully sedated. I din't see my baby for a long time after his birth. I din't know if it was a girl or a boy!
    The second one was born in '01 in US. I had wanted to do a normal and my doctor encouraged me and I went thru the whole process of childbirth classes and water breaking and pain inducing and the whole lot. After 4 hours of pushing the doctor finally said there was a problem with my internal body structure and I can't ever have a vaginal delivery. I was not fully sedated and I got to see my second son the minute he was born. Every thing depends on how the baby decides to come out! Definitely normal is the best.

sindmani likes this.
  9. healthy-mother

healthy-mother New IL'ite

Hi Diyaa,

I am a childbirth educator and physical therapist and come across many expectant moms who have the similar queries such as yours. As you have pointed out, you have already taken childbirth education classes and feel you can handle the labor pain itself. This is a major thing in itself. As regards episiotomy, yes, it is rampant in most hospitals in India. We are trying to do our part in bringing about a change in the community that I practice in. I think your first task is to find a good doctor and a practice which supports your vision of natural birth.

As regards C-Section is concerned, no matter how safe it seems to be, the recovery is much longer. Breast feeding is more difficult post C-section delivery, because it bypasses the natural hormones of childbirth. And, in India, in most hospitals, mothers are not allowed to nurse immediately post-surgery, either because they are sedated, or because they just keep the baby seperated from mom in a nursery. C-section is a major abdominal surgery. I come across post-natal moms who have to deal with everything from back pain to abdominal diastasis (seperation of the fibers that join the rectus abdominis -which is basically your topmost layer of abdominal muscles). On top of that, research is now showing a host of other long term complications ranging from increased incidence of stillbirth at subsequent births, to placenta attaching to the previous c-section scar in the uterus, or even growing through it. I do not mean to scare you, but I am passionate about natural childbirth, and have seen first hand the consequences of many C-section deliveries. I would urge you to go to Childbirth Connection: helping women and families make decisions for pregnancy, childbirth, labor pain relief, the postpartum period, and other maternity care issues. and click on the link to a .pdf document which is titled "What every woman should know about C-Section". Once you have read this, I think the choice will become very clear to you.

Now, on a personal note. I have been in clinical practice for 19 years, 14 of them in the US. Both my children were born in the US, where the system of checks and bablnces is far better. My first one was born by an emergency C-Section at 35 weeks and 6 days. The recovery was slow and painful. I was determined to have a natural chidbirth the next time around, and with the help of a wonderful obstetrician, was able to have a normal delivery. The recovery was remarkable. I was walking within 2 hours of birth, and could drive on the 4th day post-delivery. And, the feeling of giving birth naturally, gives you such a high, that few experineces in your life can come close to that.

In some areas of India, doula support is now available. They may not be called doulas, but you can ask for labor support persons.

Hope this helps ... If you have any other questions or would like help finding a good doctor in your area, please do write in.

Dr. Vijaya Krishnan

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2009
    sindmani likes this.
  10. enlightened

enlightened Bronze IL'ite

VBAC In India?

Dear Friends,
    I needed some info...have any of you heard or experienced VBAC(Vaginal Birth After Cesearean) in India?
    Please let me know..