Normal delivery Vs C-Section

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by dsrini, Apr 26, 2007.

1. sathyasai

sathyasai New IL'ite

Re: Some exercises and stretches to ease aches and help with labor

thanks for the post.

2. pav_3

pav_3 Senior IL'ite

Inducing labor

Hi everyone,

i am 38 weeks pregnant n at my last OB appt, my dr said she is planning to induce me next week due to my high BP(not very high,it was in the border) my cervix is still closed up tight and i am not dilated at all.
    i am really scared as i read pitocin induced contractions are stronger and more painful and lot of inductions end up in c-section.is that true?what is the actual procedure like? i am now looking for some reassurance and opinions about inducing labor.thanks in advance

3. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Re: Inducing labor

Hi Pav,

I delivered my girl just last thursday after inducing. I exactly don't know what was given to induce but i was given a gel first and when that didn't help a solution all vaginal. Yes the pain is sudden and unbearable but with epidural IT IS manageable. I could even manage to take a nap. I had my first one via c-section but this one was normal. So I think if the doctors are well experienced it's not necessary that an induced labor should end in c-section.

Latha

4. manjulats

manjulats Silver IL'ite

Re: Inducing labor

Hi Pav,

Mine was a pitocin induced labor too and a normal delivery.I was able to manage with epidural.

Not all pitocin induced goes to C-section.So i think you need not worry about that.

5. diyaa

diyaa New IL'ite

Hello ladies,

I have read a lot about both Normal delivery and C-section delivery in many books. I understand there are advantages and disadvantages of both procedures.

I would like to hear from experienced ladies on which procedure is better. Is it worth to undergo so much pain (and also most likely an episiotomy :spin) during normal delivery or is it better to go for C-section even though it has its own set of disadvantages?

Please advise!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2008
  6. radhee

radhee Bronze IL'ite

Both has its own pros and cons. Normal delivery, the pain is only for one day and you are back to your normal self immediately, but it will take around 3 months to recover from a c-sec. It will be difficult to breastfeed the baby, reach out for things etc with a c-sec. One can choose pain management options like epidural anesthesia for normal delivery wherein you don't feel any contraction, but I heard it will be difficult to push the baby since you dont feel anything.

7. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

I personally believe that this should be a decision that should be made by your doctor taking into account your individual medical situation and not your own convenience/preference.

In general, if you are fairly healthy and do not have any complications, you should try to go for a normal delivery. Things could change during the delivery process and the doctor may decide to do a C/S if the situation warrants it (baby is in distress, labor not progressing well, anything else...)

A C/S is, a surgery while a vaginal delivery is a very natural and norlmal process. However these days medical technology has evolved where the C/S is fairly routine - I was fully awake during the procedure and it just took maybe 20-30 minutes. Also, healing time varies and depends from person to person. For me it was about 2 weeks... For a normal delivery healing time would be less, I believe.

Hope that helps!

8. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Hello Diyaa,

My first delivery was a c-section (my boy is now 3.5 yrs old). After about 10 hrs in pain i had to be cut open. Fortunately for me after the operation i didn't have any pain, injections and recovered fairly quick. My second delivery i wished to have a normal one. And it was one (my girl is now 4 months old). I was induced (since past due-date) so experienced sudden contractions and huge pain but then after epidural the whole process was smooth. It was the most beautiful thing... me pushing, the baby landing etc., And i didn't have any tear.

Both has pros and cons but I would suggest that if a normal delivery is possible please wait and go ahead. While i was at the hospital i have seen c-section cases who had infections and suffered a lot. Also i talked to women who delivered vaginally but had a tough labour and with tear, stitches etc.,

Personally i feel if your body is ready for a vaginal one then why unnecessary go for a surgery. You have to experience pain either way. There are so many pain-killing methods available today. So you need not be really afraid of the labor pain. Talk to your doctor for sure. Mine encouraged me a lot despite the first one being a c-section. I'm grateful to her for that.

Latha

9. kolli143

kolli143 Senior IL'ite

I vote for normal delivery. The need for C-section is purely depend on the individual's situation though. I had a normal delivery with 3rd degree tears. The recovery process is fast though. I was back to full time work in the 6 week after delivery. With C-section I would not have been able to do that.
    Good luck.

10. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

I had the same and it wasn't fun at all either, but I still vote for normal delivery unless there's some kind of threat to you or your baby.

Diyaa, like Latha says, there are so many pain management options out there, if you are worried about the pain go for them.

Raj