Normal delivery Vs C-Section

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by dsrini, Apr 26, 2007.

1. shrutidunwoody

shrutidunwoody Bronze IL'ite

Vaginal or ceserian delivery

Hi Friends

My doctor suggested that i go for ceserian delivery.Intially the doctor said a few days back that i can try vaginal delivery and if if the situation is difficult then change to cesarian. But then in the next visit she said that since i had a fibroid operation last year so its risky to go for vaginal delivery. Have any ladies gone through vaginal delivery after fibroid operation. Also can i know how much it costs for ceserian. Does insurance cover it. And how long have to be at the hospital after ceserian .

2. pridelady

pridelady New IL'ite

C-section or vaginal delivery.

Which is better. I have heard than in vaginal delivery recovery time is less but after that your sex life will be effected as your vagina will become loose. And in c-section recovery time is much more but your vagina will be same as before.
    But knowing this fact also why people say that vaginal delivery is better. Doesn't the more recovery time in c-section worth as after that your body will me same as before delivery for lifetime.
    I am 30 weeks pregnant and just want to know pros and cons of both deliveries. Please experienced mummies share your experience with me and guide me.
    And also tell me if I cant bear the pain then should I take epidural in normal delivery also or does it have side effects like lifetime back pain.

3. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

Re: C-section or vaginal delivery.

The mode of delivery can't be decided by you. It all depends on baby growth and position at the time of delivery. There is nothing like vagina will become loose, soon after delivery you will be adviced Kegal excersise which will stimulate the nerves of vagina and they become contracted.
    So dont worry, Pregnancy is not a disese but a whole life's wish and dream. Just trust your gynic and go ahead.

4. rosenav

rosenav Silver IL'ite

I second Priya on this, you cant decide normal or section , its all upto the baby.

I gave birth 3weeks ago , I went for normal to section, was pushing fr 3hrs still unable to deliver , later when DS arrived we was a big baby so even if i wanted, he would not come out normal.

I had epidural as soon as i went into labour and which continued thru my section, I dnt have any back pain... though i'm still recovering frm aces n pains of the c-section, its painful.

5. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Caesarean should be a delivery based on medical need NOT the convenience of the doctor or the patient. You will have a big scar and a little weakness in that area lifelong. My mom had three ceasareans and I observed her problems through life.

As to the vagina part, a slow labor will gradually stretch this out which is good as it goes back after delivery. Use of medicines to produce labor makes a stronger quicker labor (convenient for doctor) which increases your chance of tearing. Don't refuse an episiotomy if the doctor thinks it necessary as it can relieve the tension and reduce chance of tears. Tears are harder to fix. Epidurals can be a real boon to women but since you have less feeling, you run a greater chance of tears.

My advice is have a heart to heart talk with your doctor on your concerns and what series of events will give you the outcome that you want.

By the way, if the vagina gets loosened (this is usually after a number of pregnancies) there is a surgery to tighten that up.

6. ramtulasi

ramtulasi New IL'ite

Re: About Delivery!

Hai friends can you make me clear what is C-Section

7. simply_doubtful

simply_doubtful Gold IL'ite

Hi tulasi
    c-section is cesarean operation to take out the baby from the tummy. the baby won't be vaginal delivery.
    Hansika

8. csmom

csmom New IL'ite

Re: About Delivery!

Having a c-section is removing the baby through surgery. It's typically done because there may be a medical risk to delivering vaginally.

Having a c-section is relatively easy on the mom and the baby, it's the recovery that can be difficult.

If you know you'll be having a c-section, plan for it. In other words you will be tired and sore when arriving home with baby so plan your first few weeks at home by having supplies close by. Have meals planned out and allow others to help you. Avoid using the stairs and I highly recommend using an abdominal binder, it will help minimize the pain of movement and help you enjoy those first few weeks with baby a little more.

Hope that helps :)

9. csmom

csmom New IL'ite

Re: Vaginal or ceserian delivery

Hi, Most doctors don't want to risk a vaginal delivery after having had abdominal surgery. The incisions are vulnerable to rupture so they prefer a c-section, but I would suggest getting a second opinion on that.

A cesarean is roughly double the cost of a vaginal delivery, but this may vary depending on the area you live in. In the U.S. if your c-section is medically needed, or if your doctor orders it, it will be covered by your insurance. Hope that helps :)

10. Pritirach

Pritirach Silver IL'ite

Hi Friends,

I am pregnant with our second kid due in Jan 2011.My first one is vaginal.I want the second one to be vaginal too.I had been to Doctor yesterday and expressed the same to her.I am seeing so many c-sections offlate.People alwyas say that doctors deliberatly do c-section for more money.They dont wait and put entire blame on them.

While i was talking to my gynec, she said you can have Normal one,until you dont get into last minute complications as i dont have health issues at all.She said Nowadays Ladies are impatient,relatives are impatient,husbands are impatient and also doctors are also impatient.So we see large number of C-sections.

Now i have heard this before also,Doctors blaming the patients and vice versa.This kept me thinking,who could be right.

I know Normal delivery is painful and unbearable.Even When i went to labor first time,I was unable to bear it and asked my parents to talk to doctor for C-section.My parents consoled me and gave courage and face it and be patient.

So i am wondering whether it is doctors or the patients responsible for large number of c-sections nowadays????????????The balme game continues.

Priti