1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

New To Usa.. Need Suggestions For Playschool

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by gknew, Oct 18, 2016.

1. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Hi all,
    I have recently moved to US and have a 3 year old son. I am planning to put him in playschool. I have no idea about the education system here. When should I start sending him to preschool and when does the pre-k starts? And how does the process work? Is it based on lottery? Please explain...experienced mommies, pls share in your thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

2. deepthivinayak1

deepthivinayak1 Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    Your son is eligible for pre k as he is 3. Google and find the nearest public school for your place. Register ur son. As schools are already started ,u may get school immediately or they will send letter when u get. When u register, they will allot a date for screening ur son. Don't have to worry about or prepare anything for it like prepare ur son to speak in English. They just check whether ur son can understand what they are saying and acting according to that. After screening, they wil inform whether ur son is qualified for public school pre-k. After screening, u will get letter if he got placed in public school and date of joining.

3. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Thanks for the reply deepthivinayak1. Will check it out.

4. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

Alternate, or till you get the process done with a public school, you can consider sending him to a private school/Montessori type school.

(to get him used to school/new country environment/to get him to know other kids etc),

two days per week, half day etc options also available, go to near by private schools and talk to them, you get lot of information by talking with them,

5. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Thanks Kashmir flower.. That's a better option too.. Will check it out.

KashmirFlower likes this.