Never Mind.....

Discussion in 'Community Chit-Chat' started by Amulet, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Brexit Happy !!
    I've been following all the political shenanigans of the Brexit (United Kingdom leaving the European Union) fiasco. And feeling that finally the British had done to themselves what they had done (leave a divided country at the end of colonial rule) to all their former colonies. Many in the British Press think the same too... Here is one column from the Guardian newspaper:

The immediate upshot is that “global Britain” is now the basket case of the world. Karma, surely. All around our former dominions, people are shrieking with laughter as they say: “Isn’t it terrible what they’re doing to themselves?” I guess we were always very strong at cocking up a country. When the British were just beginning to get their claws into India around 1700, the Mughal empire accounted for a quarter of the world’s economy. By the time we were forced to leave them to undo all our good work, India was punching at just over 3%. The UK taking back control of the UK may well turn out to be a similar success story.

• Marina Hyde is a Guardian columnist
    <full column>

2. Blinky

Blinky Bronze IL'ite

Hehe! I loved that 'charming lunatic'. Often, I think about you too, something you have written in the past that pops in the present. Hmm, I should tell this to Lady Mullet.

Then I accrue more things to tell you, piles up, and collapses on its weight.

Like:

upload_2018-11-26_10-48-16.png

Van cats are a distinctive landrace of domestic cat, found in the Lake Van region of eastern Turkey. They are relatively large, have a chalky white coat, sometimes with ruddy coloration on the head and hindquarters, and have blue or amber eyes or are odd-eyed (having one eye of each colour).The variety has been referred to as "the swimming cat", and observed to swim in Lake Van.

Swimming odd-eyed cat! An inquiry is raised: Why are people so vain and catty? I prompt: You should read up about van cats. How will reading about van cats (what the heck are they?!) resolve my issue. I clarify: It won't but it will help you transcend the world's van catty-ness.

Then I recall, I should tell this to Lady Umlaut. Only she would apprehend the trick.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    Amulet likes this.
  3. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

4. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Verdict: NOT GUILTY
    We often hear the advice:
    "Let It Run. Flush taps before using water from them for drinking or cooking. Waterthat stands idle in pipes for long periods of time-such as overnight or during the day when people are gone to work and school-is more likely to absorb materials from the plumbing system."

American parents ought to teach children to have this practice as well:
    Let it run...and get the lead out! Fact Sheet - EH: Minnesota Department of Health

5. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

hahaha... you took your mum's advice, and got a husband before that tatoo. good, good, good....

When you are researching, pay heed to both hygiene (hepatitis infections from specific locations), and components, especially dyes, used in the tattoo.

Metallic dyes (containing Fe (iron), Cobalt, and a few others) are often magnetic, and that would result in interference with Magnetic Resonance Imaging. The radiological procedure for detecting various internal abnormalities in our body.... especially Tumors, as well as muscle/tendon related issues. We use X-rays, and computerized tomography (CT scan) for bones.
    <link:https://www.livescience.com/32801-do-mri-machines-affect-tattoos.html>

Non metallic dyes in tattoos tend to creep a lot more. Creep means a slow dithering of fine lines. The tattoo would look terrible with runny borders. Imagine water colors instead of oil painting.

If you are working on trying to convince your husband, get various temporary tattoos, and have him put it on your body, and see how that goes.

Visible tattoos are usually not an advantage in job interviews. It is looked down upon in many cultures of Asia, as something that insecure persons (armed forces, organized crime gangs) would want -- like an emotional crutch.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    BhumiBabe and GeetaKashyap like this.
  6. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

We were very inconsistent in "celebrating" thanksgiving thursdays. More often than not, we simply didn’t. It was just a lazy Thursday. A few years ago, dS went to volunteer at a local (presbyterian) church on that day. Food service work, i.e., to set up dining area, and to serve the Thanksgiving meal to the homeless and the needy. Then cleanup. Giving up watching college football on TV was the bigger sacrifice. Anyhow... there was no waiting list. Volunteers were asked to come to the back door and queue up.

When he went there, there were already 20+ people in line. He felt weird, because many of those in line were "older" people. However, he waited, until the door opened. The priest asked in only about 15 or so, and the rest of the people were thanked for coming out on a cold morning, and asked to come back later... around 3 0'clock or so. For cleaning work. Some volunteers were miffed. Others just shrugged and wandered off. Ours decided to innovate.

He went around, and joined the line in front of the church, at the side door that lead direct to the basement hall where they served the Thanksgiving lunch. There were more than 50 of them, sitting on the sidewalk on flattened cardboard boxes (like stadium mats) they had brought along. And he got one of those cardboard pieces to sit on, and some very valuable advice from a man who was ahead of him on that line.

"...cold towns that ain't too big are the best for the holidays...people are rich, nice, they give you the best food, sometimes also give you some money, and blankets. And not too crowded with people like us.... Don't ever go to Milwaukee or Chicago..d'ya hear?".
    When he came back home, around 2 PM, I asked him about the work he was asked to do in the church. And heard this story about joining the homeless-line for a church lunch. :facepalm::facepalm:

Why is dressing clean, and looking neat for going out, such an anathema to the young ? Why do they want to wear things that look like an ensemble from a thrift shop ? On the positive side, we have survived with minimal piercings, and no tattoos.

Rihana likes this.
  7. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Don't you go and elon-musk now, said @Rihana on the matter of getting me a red ribbon:
    upload_2018-12-4_14-36-47.png

That could be a NY resolution, couldn't it?
    Never Mind....

Rihana likes this.
  8. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Repurposing Cooking Gadgets
    I am given to watching youtube videos of cooking demonstrations. Recently I watched a video where a chef is using a rice cooker -- a simple one button thing -- for making a vegetable stirfry, something we'd normally think of doing in a skillet, a wok, a kadai.

The chef poured a couple of tablespoons of oil into the inner pot of the rice cooker, and started with a Tadka, of frying spice-seeds in the hot oil. I never knew that a rice cooker can be repurposed like this, especially for cooking vegetable stir fry dishes with a Tadka.

Check it out:

9. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

I am always remembering snippets from movies and TV shows while reading comments on IL posts. Here is one, where the ghost of Humphrey Bogart is encouraging Allen, who is shy, and all thumbs when it comes to romancing the lady. Bogart convinces Allen to tell the girl that " ...she is something really special" Movie: Play it again, Sam

Rihana likes this.
  10. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame