1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Need Urgent Suggestions Please

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by tanmayi, Aug 23, 2017.

1. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

@Shreema86 ,I respect ur views, EVERY MOM HAS THIS FEELING(MY MOM TOO). BUT We need to tell them with out CRUSHING their dreams. Little with examples, little with saying for a bigger purpose let go smaller ones. For example we can say we need to go to family tour so no costly toys now. I know they can't understand but little by little in their way WE NEED TO CONVEY.THIS HELPS THE PARENTS IN FUTURE AND THE CHILDREN TOO.

Sandycandy, Shreema86 and SunPa like this.
  2. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

OP,
    It is very important lifeskill for children to know the value of things /experiences. If we dont show them when young, dont except them to understand when they are older.

Also, Emotional affordability is a term I learnt as I struggled to decide how much to spend on kids. When I spent a large amount , my expectation of them valuing and preserving it was equally high. This often lead to pent up irritation. Do read up on it and you can take decisions that feels right for you without guilt.

Sorry I cannot agree with this, totally cannot .
    My financial constraints are just that constraints - not problems. Every one has financial constraints just the level varies. And yes my financial constraints are hers too till she becomes financially independent.

I will bend backwards to meet my child's needs. Not wants . If I do that, that will be the greatest disservice to him/her.

sheztheone, jskls, Laks09 and 6 others like this.
  3. Shreema86

Shreema86 Platinum IL'ite

@SunPa if all of us were happy by only having our needs met and not wants, how great would life be . But thats not reality . Having your Childs needs met( food, clothing,education) is your duty ,after all you bring them into this world. But going a little out of your way to meet some of their wants is what creates special memories. Your child will not remember what you fed him for 364 days a year, but will remember that one birthday party thrown for him that year. School trips are for teenagers what birthday parties are for children . It might not be essential for their survival, but it adds to their emotional bank of happiness. Don't we all want something that might not be essential but just makes us happy .

4. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

True.

5. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Parenting is more than just providing .
    A family's financial constraints is the problem of the family including the kids.
    Sending a kid on a trip one can ill afford is bad parenting.
    It makes children live in a false pretence of financial wellness.
    Giving children things or experiences that makes them happy is good but not when it is putting a burden on the family including the other kids .

What if you manage to send one kid some how but can' t send the others.
    Then what.....you expect that one child to grow ,earn and then spend the lifetime making it up for the other siblings and the sacrificing parents?

Keeping children oblivious of your financial constraints is bad parenting.

Laks09, sokanasanah, Gauri03 and 5 others like this.
  6. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

| NASA
    I suggest a party for all the Not going kids. Watch online with vadapaav, and other munchies. Talk about ISRO how we went to Mars and watched it on monitors without actually going there.
    What is the cost for this school trip?

Sandycandy and sindmani like this.
  7. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

Exactly. Desire (little extras) for a CHILD should be with in our finances. This will make them more acceptable to the situation. They should learn to deal with NO FROM PARENTS. LITTLE EXTRAS LIKE BIRTHDAY PARTY IS GOOD . BUT UNAFFORDABLE SHOULD BE CONVEYED IN A GOOD WAY.

Sandycandy likes this.
  8. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

A trip to USA for a single person from india to n fro will be around 1000 dollars , then place of stay. Schools will get a higher sum. It is what i infer. Sorry Op , if it iswrong quotation of cost :blush:

9. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

You misunderstood me, I did not say only needs of a child are to be met and each and every want to be ignored. I am talking about bending backward or out of comfort zone to meet the wants . To me that is a marked different scenario.

Clearly the OP feels while she can meet the expense, it will be a stretch. And she also she thinks it might be good experience, it is not essential. And added to that it is not like the child is one of the few who is unable to, making her feel left. As parents, we want to fulfil every wish for our LOs, especially when it is a once in a way trip like this one and our LO is excited about it. It can be heartache to refuse.

If life is about enriching experiences, it is also about learning the value of money and how to be money-wise and setting priorities. This is a good learning opportunity, hard though it seems. Children are far more resilient than we think.

A trip to ISRO facilities in India will be far cheaper and worth it if the interest is purely space research.

sindmani, Laks09, sokanasanah and 3 others like this.
  10. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Which NASA center did you visit?