1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Need Suggestions To Deal Over-interfiering, Anti Social And Very Judgemental Mil

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by firefoxash, May 8, 2016.

1. firefoxash

firefoxash New IL'ite

Hello everybody. I did love marriage. MIL was in favour of but my parents were against the marriage. Initially they tried to explain me about the economical and cultural differences among our families but later they agreed and got us married finding no other way out. In begining she was nice towards with me but slowly she started commenting me and my parents for not giving her proper respect. My parents were not very excited about my relationship but never misbehaved with them. And followed every custom they told, invited, greeted or served her in all possible ways. Slowly she started commenting for each and everything not happening acc.to her wish like Bade ghar ke beti might have said and proudy people and all. During my younger BIL's alliance search I came to know why she was agree for my relationship when she said that she dsn't want to Marry her younger son to a middle class family. And my parents were from affluent background so she found me suitable. In normal daily life also she would find excuses to curse me or my parents. Though neither they ever interfered or even knew what's going on in my life. If my husband will search a maid or will buy a mat for kids to play on floor she'll start saying ya we are so poor that we arn't providing your wife and kids the life they want to live and all. Overall whatever new happening in house was because of me and my parents. She is extremely anti social have fights with neighbours, vegetable sellers, grocers and milkman every now and then and hates us for being nice or friendly with any body. Is so interfering that I can't even talk to my kids without her knowledge and interference , can't cook evn one chapati without her expert guidance evn after 12 yrs of my marriage. Luckily she dsn't stay with us and is financially independent due to my FIL's pension. I talk with her very less ( face to face or on phone )and visit her with husband and kids on festivals. She comes to us every now and then and stats for around a week or ten days and even if single argument happens (never with me) she rushes back in anger. I used to call her frequently but she used to manipulate all talks acc. to her thoughts and would blame me for her imaginary interpretations. Would find out fault in each and everything and is always full of suggestions, feels no one is able to evn breathe without her guidance. I had been an independent and educated grl but now have become very depressed with my house maid kind of life. Serving her her son and kids is all left my life. I don't know how I can make her happy. My husband usually cooperates but gets mad every time her mother says anything bad about me or my parents. He gets angry on me for not keeping her happy. I don't want to discuss this with my parents as don't want to hurt them more. I just wish that I find a way to make her happy may be then I can live the life I wish to. Easy, tension free and respectable. Now I would admit my faults that I still aspire to be an independent person and want to wrk outside . am qualified enough. Have worked as assistant professor and school wise principal and both times left job due to husband's transfer. Plz. Suggest ways to keep her and her son pleased so that I along with kids can have a peaceful life.

2. blossomingbud

blossomingbud Silver IL'ite

I don't know abt your MIL happiness but I do have one suggestion for your happiness. Accept that you can not satisfy her no matter what you do. Simply do your best and not bother abt MIL/DH approval or appreciation. If they have any complains just tell them that that is the best you can do. I am sure things will worsen before they improve. You need to stay strong during that. And please find a job suitable to you. You can't make others happy while you are not happy.

whitedaisy and firefoxash like this.
  3. firefoxash

firefoxash New IL'ite

Thanks for ur reply. Am trying hard to believe that whatever I do can't make her happy but my husband's complaining eyes and her constant comments do bother me. I know it's stupidity but I feel like a looser and evn a bad DIL and wife many times. Anyways I HV found few ways which keep situations peaceful most of the time. I am still in search of any new funda I can apply to make her please. U rightly caught am very sad and depressed at present and don' t want to transfer same negativeness to kids as well. Will try my best to keep my self engaged to avoid those irrelevant complaints.

4. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

You can't make her happy. Full stop. She is determined to whine and whinge and ruin your peace as many many Mils are wont to do.

Now that you've been married for a substantial period of time, back off. Let barking dogs bark. Tell your husband very calmly that he needs to think it over if he thinks his mum's behaviour is reasonable. Just disengage. Be polite but firm.

Whenever your husband complains, oblique state something like, "calm down and think it over." Or "you surely can't blame me for that outburst. Dont get worked up unecessarily and ruin your mood." Or some such and change the topic. Have some stock replies to deal with your husband. And live your life thanking your lucky stars she doesn't live with you full time.

When my mil gets ridiculously critical, I don't react to her; I just say, "I'll take care of it. You go and sit there." whether it is how to cook or what to buy or how to raise my child. Since I neither listen or engage, there's nothing she can do...

Marriages and Iamagoodgirl like this.
  5. Marriages

Marriages Junior IL'ite

Hey Beautiful girls.... Kudos for your decision to marry. I also got recently married, and my ils were nice to me initially but soon my mil realised that her son preferred me over her , she ruined my and my H 's relation ( staying overseas)so you see the strength of a mother who cannot beat her son build a life and have a family and they want to marry their sons . FOR WHAT DO THEY MARRY FHEIR SONS ??? To SPOIL AN INNOCENT GIRLS ENTIRE LIFE????

Girls take a chill pill .listen from one ear and throw out from another. That is the main function of our precious sets of ears, who have these CRUEL mil . Mine is even worse . Anyways .

Financial independence and a chilled attitude will help us sail through.( today I have no money and no house ) but I believe in God and in myself . Hope you too live a happy life .

Anusuya likes this.
  6. Anusuya

Anusuya Silver IL'ite

@Marriages
    things will turn out good over a period of time.
    @ Financial independence and a chilled attitude will help us sail through.
    what u said is absolutely true.
    @ believe in God and in myself - That is hope.

:)

7. Marriages

Marriages Junior IL'ite

@Anusuya
    Today Its been 3 weeks Havnt heard from my H, my father is waiting for the day I leave his house, I have no money no job no house No relatives no friends . The only thing that will help me sail is hunt a job and believe in God and in myself . Thanks for your post

8. Anusuya

Anusuya Silver IL'ite

im really sorry to hear that, pl do have patience, meanwhile keep looking for the job, but never loose your hope.
    Good time awaits. i don know whether these ppl will realize or not. only time will tell us.
    keep up ur hope n spirits. i pray the god be with u.
    :) :)

Last edited: May 13, 2016
  9. Marriages

Marriages Junior IL'ite

Thanku Anusuya:)

Anusuya likes this.
  10. Anusuya

Anusuya Silver IL'ite

you are welcome :) :)
    cheers:)