1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Need Some Suggestions And Peace!!

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by ssainv, Nov 30, 2016.

1. ssainv

ssainv New IL'ite

Hii

i am pregnant and getting induced tonight as i crossed my due date. I am already stressed and nervous about the delivery and on top of it i am also super stressed about my husband behaving with my parents. My parents came to usa for my delivery 3 weeks back. My brother also stays in usa and his wife is pregnant too and expecting in february. My parents want to go there for 10 days after her delivery and meanwhile they will be here taking care of me and my baby.

My husband who is a good person but is very orthodox and very male dominated kind of mentality. His family is also like that ( all old beliefs and superstitions along with stupid kind of male dominated mentality) which i hate to the core. They have a feeling that son has to look after their parents but not daughter. According to them, a daughter once married, is not suppose to give their parents any money. I dont know how can people be so cruel about daughters like this. Whats wrong in todays society- everyone is equally treated and if a son has a responsibility why cant a daughter have. This is my personal opinion.

My husband is generally good at caring and all but i dont like him when it comes to these kind of topics. But still i am getting adjusted to his mentality right from our marriage. My parents are educated and they treated me and my brother equally and has given everything we asked for. So i dont feel anything bad when giving them money or buying them something from my pocket. I am working as a software engineer. Whats wrong if i spend my own earned money on my parents? My husband dont like these kind of things which i do generally and always asks why u have to give your parents and why cant your brother give anything. I felt very bad and explained him its my hapiness to give my parents. But he never understands a single word i explain to him. He has his own version.

So today i am getting induced for my delivery and yesterday when we went for our doctor checkup and did paperwork for today we paid for delivery. And immediately my husband sarcastically said to my father we paid this amount which you and your son has to give. Iam so pissed off and was crying on my own in bathroom. He lost all respect in front of my parents. My parents silently bearing all his stupid words not saying anything because of my hapiness. I dont know what to do. Not only this incidence, each and every time he wants my brother to do something. He says to my father - uncle ask your son to buy this for you, ask your son to give money to spend in usa for 4 months. My father once tried to explain that he doesnt like to ask anyone anything regardless of son or daughter. But my husband will not stop arguing and it will end up with my father being silent for my hapiness.

I dont know how to deal all these. But i am in super stressed mode now. Controlling myself. I am praying to god that my baby is coming in to this world and i have to happily welcome him. I know i am thinking too much but all his stupid words are hurting me a lot.

Any suggestions to help me ease? Thanks for reading this long post.

2. curiousgals78

curiousgals78 Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    this is time for you to concentrate on the arrival of your baby. these kinda of men will never understand those emotions. sometimes i feel men should become women and experience the pain both physically and mentally what a women goes through in this stage.
    physically in pain because of labor and mentally with all the brutal words from hubby and in laws. whats wrong with these people? and to think they are all educated. sorry i can very well understand what you are going through. that foolishness from hubby will always be there. but the child birth and happy precious moments will not be there. my husband wanted my parents to pay for everything regardless of the insurance paying everything
    for now concentrate on the baby. Happy and safe delivery.

3. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

Dear ssainv,
    sorry to read of your situation, and i know how helpless it feels when we have to deal with such attitudes. Sad part is that, it is very common and the few where no differentiation is made are lucky. At this time, it is not worth worrying about all this. Such attitudes are inborn and very difficult to change overnight. The best thing for you is not to react over all this. You can explain to your father similarly not to consider all this but to just go ahead and do what he would normally do. Just concentrate on your baby and i wish you a safe and happy delivery. For future since you are earning , ensure you have some extent of financial independence and not at the beck and call of your husband for everything.

sindmani and KashmirFlower like this.
  4. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Focus on your baby for now. Your parents have seen how your husband behaves and they understand the situation. He is one losing respect in front of them, not you. All this business of the girl's family paying for delivery belongs in the old ages. Tell your parents to ignore him and don't allow them to actually pay. If your husband tells your dad to ask money from your brother your father should politely but firmly reply that he is capable of taking care of his own expenses.
    And keep your finances at least partially separate. Don't just hand over your paycheck.

sindmani, dc24, guesshoo and 3 others like this.
  5. dnormx01

dnormx01 Gold IL'ite

For now chill. A new life is on its way and it's time to pray and celebrate:)

Don't say anything to your husband as long as your parents are around for saving their dignity. Once they leave you take the guy to task. Anything he wants, tell him to ask his kid. When he can tell your dad to, he should also follow that. Whatever you pay for, taunt him that as per age old traditions , husband has to earn and take care of all expenses, but here I am managing this for you.

Give back however you want to, but wait for the right time. Now he and his stupid behavior are the last things you need to think about.

Congratulations in advance and a happy delivery:) is it pinky or bluey? :)

6. Lakshmi6197

Lakshmi6197 Gold IL'ite

Absolutely correct.

Further as per traditions deliveries took place at home where expenses were minimal.

And people did not go to the US of A to work...

OP please dont get stressed because of silly people. people cherry pick traditions as per their convenience and take high moral ground selectively. i know it is easier said than done to ignore things at such times but thats the only way of dealing with it.

Wish you a healthy and happy baby and hugs to you.

7. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

His parents/family probably say stuff like this to him and have expectations to match. Not a battle that is easily won.
    Good Luck with your baby!:beer-toast1:

8. YoGirl

YoGirl Gold IL'ite

Op,
    Next time when you wash dishes, laundry, house cleaning, cooking, etc.. tell ur H that he would have paid money in india to get it done. N that he owes u his lifetime for this.
    On a serious note, our parents gen understands this kind of behaviour, male chauvenism, sarcasims.. u r stressing too much. Ur parents might be feeling ok n used to it(which is not ok in another sense)

9. Vennella

Vennella Gold IL'ite

Congratulations! In another few hours you couldn't care less about all this...believe me! Your world will become so small which will just be filled with you and your baby.

As far as delivery expense is concerned, yes, I have also learnt that there are some people who believe it should be borne by the girl's parents. Of course, that is their orthodox mentality. Just ignore him and ask your parents to ignore. The more you react, the worse the situation will get. Maybe after a while you can enact a scene with your friend or somebody in front of your husband.

You: Friend...how nice your parents paid for your delivery
    Friend: no! Why would my parents pay for my delivery? These days nobody does these archaic and uncivilized formalities. My husband and i paid gor everything like we should. Of course...it's our baby!

Maybe that will knock some sense into his head. But of course, this might and will get washed out by the constant brainwashing that will be dished out by ILs of course!

10. dnormx01

dnormx01 Gold IL'ite

[QUOTE="Vennella, post: 3914106, Maybe after a while you can enact a scene with your friend or somebody in front of your husband.

You: Friend...how nice your parents paid for your delivery
    Friend: no! Why would my parents pay for my delivery? These days nobody does these archaic and uncivilized formalities. My husband and i paid gor everything like we should. Of course...it's our baby[/QUOTE]

Please don't do this. It can backfire. He can say, look your friends also find it good that your parents pay! And more importantly, never bring a 3rd person in between husband and wife issues, however big or trivial they are. The more direct you are the better for your relationship. Friends can always lend an ear, suggest and support but don't bring them into the quarrel ever.

JMO

Lakshmi6197, beautifullife30 and dc24 like this.