1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Need some advice on traveling to Tirupathi

Discussion in 'Infants' started by vmtaurus, Mar 14, 2013.

1. vmtaurus

vmtaurus Bronze IL'ite

My son is now 10 months, and I was planning to take him to Tirupathi next month for shaving his head...but am very conflicted about it.
    - LO is at his peak of stranger anxiety, and does NOT enjoy crowds or noise. He is very, very wary around strangers, and if the noise gets too much will just start crying.
    - He likes going in a car, as long as the car is moving, and starts whining/ becoming restless the moment it stops. I plan to travel by car only, as it is about 5-6 hour journey. Rule out trains, because of the noise/crowded railway stations.
    - He has never stayed anywhere apart from home, we will need to stay atleast for 2 days
    - He is on solid feeds, but only pureed foods, and a mix of formula and BF. How will I manage to make such foods? I tried Gerber foods, and he did have them but with a LOT of coaxing. He will have a few spoons, and then just refuse to open his mouth.
    - For formula, how to make sure I get boiled water? Probably have to see a place to stay where I can use a gas stove.
    - How stressful is it really for a baby to go through the whole process? I heard that the babies are made to sit on their father's lap during the process, but I'm not sure if he will.
    These are some thoughts running in my head, due to which I am double thinking. Will I be stressing him out unnecessarily, and maybe can push this to when he is older?
    Experienced mommies, please help with your suggestions and thoughts.
    Regards and Thanks in advance
    VM

2. ashwinid01

ashwinid01 Gold IL'ite

Am not a mother but here is my advice to you regarding managing food. If you are planning to stay up in hotel, you can carry induction stove with you.. I highly recomend it to everyone who are travelling with kids. So boiling water or making boiled stuffs will be easier.
    Tirupati is always crowded and a lottt.. So if your kid has stranger anxiety problem it would be tough to manage. I dont know how big the queue would be for shaving head but i would recomend that go to the first service i think it begins at 5 am or so, so that you dont have to spend a day in queue. But for that you'll to book your hotel near to temple as the gate to tirumala from tirupati is closed from midnight to 3 or 4 am..

3. Harithag

Harithag Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    Dont worry.We have done head tonsuring when my DD was 9 months old.we managed mostly with pongal,bananas and BM.i remember my SIL carried a small electric rice cooker to boil milk and water for her kids.if possible you can try that.
    Regarding travel,You can book a AC compartment.There it wont be that noisy.Afternoon at 1.30,there is a train called seshadri from majestic.we often travel in that,as my hometown is nearby tirupathi.Since you BF him,you can check for side lower seat.If you can climb,side upper will be really comfortable.

For infants, there is a special queue for parents and it takes max 40- 50 mins(depends on the day of the darshan though).this queue is on specific timings at 10AM and 3PM only.better to go by 10AM,it takes less time.You can carry his favourite foods,toys,so that you can divert him for a while.

And yes its a stress for them.Me and Dh went by walk with DD.She enjoyed the walk, but we got tired of carrying her.:).Its your brother who has to put her in his lap not your DH.And for head shave,you dont need to be in queue.You can take a token of 100 bucks,he will come to your room and do that.else you can go the place nearest to your room.check with the tea vendors there, they will give lot of info.

for DD head shave,FIL got a muhurtham at 4AM.We did that time only.she cried a lot.but it was just 5 mins.later she calmed down.

And Yes, you can push this to when he is much older and when you think she is ready for it.

Hope this helps..

4. chotabheem

chotabheem Gold IL'ite

Carry a big flask with boiling water.
    Have a big can of boiled cooled water. While making formula, mix both and prepare. So the formula will be warm. Also its summer time, DS might drink cold formula as well(in case u run out of hot water). A big flask and a can of water (around 4-5 ltrs of wtaer) should be more than sufficent for the formula and porridge.
    Ensure you carry sufficient water from home. Donot give him outside water..be it bisleri or any other mineral water. Its ok to give boiled and cooled home water than giving outside hot water.

I also carry a mini rice cooker. I use it for sterilizing the bottles and making food for him. Its very very handy.
    1.With the rice cooker, u can make sath mavu kanji/raagi porridge and rice porridge.
    You would be having thepowder for sathmavu kanji.
    2.For rice porridge- clean the rice and moongdal. dry it. Roast it and powder it.U can also add jeer-peeper to this if DS is used to it. prepare it the same way u prepare raagi porridge.
    Ensure you carry ghee and salt.
    3.Carry some chiroti rava; u can make rava porridge. If DS likes it sweet, also carry grated jaggery/sugar to make sweet rava porridge.
    4.Curd Poha/Avalakki. You can buy yogurt there and and soak pre-cleaned & powdered avalakki in curd. You can powder the avalakki at home
    5. If DS eats mashed banana ; that can be given for snacks.
    6. Cooked apple. Its easy to mash cooked apple.

Have a happy trip! Enjoy.

1 person likes this.
  5. vmtaurus

vmtaurus Bronze IL'ite

Thank you all, and chotabheem! for your tips. Will take them into consideration, before making a decision!

6. chotabheem

chotabheem Gold IL'ite

:) After few travels and expereinces, i came up with this list as my DS doesnt eat outside food and at arnd the same age as your DS we did a lot of travelling to pilgirm centres.
    Plus the hotel rice is too dry and hard for kids. !!

7. sanvi5

sanvi5 Silver IL'ite

If you prayed to god that you will do it at certain time then go now or if u can wait then do it later close to 2 years....it being summer and long waits huge crowds ,food problems will all be hectic.....at 2 years kids can eat pretty much outside food and easy to get boiled or warm regular milk at any hotels....curd rice pongal and all they can easily eat

8. karanu

karanu Gold IL'ite

for head tonsuring, we went to Chikka Tirupathi which is around 45-50 kms from Bangalore. It was hassle-free and we got it done quickly for my DD when she was a year old.

9. nemesis

nemesis Platinum IL'ite

Some good guesthouses(like NGGH) in Tirumala(i) have attached tonsure booths. The men who does the job are much more accommodating than the restless guys at Kalyana Katta.

However, some greasing the hands of the security of the guesthouse is needed, because this is a service meant for those staying in the guest house only.

The location:

http://maps.google.co.in/local_url?dq=Narayana+Giri+Guest+House+I&q=https://plus.google.com/108291092254342085853/about%3Fgl%3Din%26hl%3Den&s=ANYYN7k0lIclqwJkS6C8nqJ2qJ1kRDFN4Q&dtab=2

10. iamsrihere

iamsrihere Platinum IL'ite

To avoid all these,my sister made sure she does the tonsuring for her son in his 3rd year...During his 11th month,she shaved his head in a local salon near her place,and collected his hair to be put in the hundi in Tirumala..Not sure if your family would support you for the decision.

1 person likes this.