1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Need help with conventional oven usage.

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by stork82, Apr 27, 2012.

1. stork82

stork82 Silver IL'ite

Hi,

This is the first time I am gonna be cooking stuff in an oven(yet to decide on whether it is bake/broil) and I am nervous and excited at the same time. :)
    I need some help in understanding some basics, since I do not have the oven manual with me.

When do you use the 'broil' option of the oven?
    Are the different racks in the oven meant for different purposes?
    I will be using the oven mostly for making Veg Biryani and roasting an eggplant. Can you help me with any tips here?

When a recipe says 'preheat', I understand the knob has to be turned on to set it to the desired temperature, but how will I know if the temp is attained? I am not sure if this oven has a sensor that will beep. If it does not is there a way to find? I heard of oven thermometers, but how exactly do you use them , since it is gonna be hot inside..

Finally, when the temp is attained, how do you place the food in the hot oven? I have bought these really thick hand gloves, but they only cover the palms. Is it safe to attempt placing food inside the oven with just these hand gloves? The arms are still exposed right?

Thanks in advance! :)

2. skmeera

skmeera Silver IL'ite

hi ...:wave:wave

i guess we all had our share of excitement and nervousness when starting with the oven....once u get started u will really feel good of using it....bcoz of using less oil for roasting and all that....from what i learnt..

when u put on bake mode , the heat is from the bottom of oven and if it is broil it is from the top of oven...so when u put on broil things get browned soon.

And there are diff types of oven....some dont indicate when the oven is preheated...in such a case i guess u wait for some time until ur oven is heated and then u go about...otherwise it is not a problem u have preheating settings or the oven indicates ...check ur oven ,,u will get an idea.

not much experience with oven thermometers as i didnt find the need for one....for baking cake i just use a skewer , if it comes clean that's it....i bake pizza , or roast vegetables...and i check around the time i expect it to get cooked...say i require 30 minutes of baking i usually check a few minutes before , just to make sure.....

the last but most important, dont leave anything combustible in the oven...i have a few experiences...once i left my oven mittens inside and preheated the oven ...and u know what happened....

aah and u can find silicone oven mittens that will withsatnd upto 500 degree and also covers past ur wrist...i got mine in bbb....

happy baking...:thumbsup

1 person likes this.
  3. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

When do you use the 'broil' option of the oven?
    Broiling is like grilling. You can use it for reheating any fried food while still maintaining the crispness

Are the different racks in the oven meant for different purposes? The top rack is best for quick broiling. Bottom rack can be used for thin crust pizzas. Middle rack is best since it would have an even temperature. Use middle rack for baking cakes, cookies etc or for baking any stuff beyond 15 minutes. It is better not to use the bottom back for baking as things might start to burn.

I will be using the oven mostly for making Veg Biryani and roasting an eggplant. Can you help me with any tips here?
    Veg biryani - cook rice until its 50% done. Oven setting: 350f for 45min - 1hr

Eggplant- use parchment paper over tray. Place eggplant drizzled with oil. Oven setting: 450f for 20-25 mins

When a recipe says 'preheat', I understand the knob has to be turned on to set it to the desired temperature, but how will I know if the temp is attained? I am not sure if this oven has a sensor that will beep. If it does not is there a way to find? I heard of oven thermometers, but how exactly do you use them , since it is gonna be hot inside..
    Usually it takes about 15 minutes to preheat oven to 350. But this varies depending upon oven. If there is no beep, it is safe to assume that oven has been preheated to 350 afte 15 minutes. Increase/decrease the time depending on required temperature.

Oven thermometers: you just need to place them on the rack. But ensure that the thermometer says high heat oven thermometer. Use mittens to place them.

Finally, when the temp is attained, how do you place the food in the hot oven? I have bought these really thick hand gloves, but they only cover the palms. Is it safe to attempt placing food inside the oven with just these hand gloves? The arms are still exposed right?
    I use regular mittens that comes just short of the elbows. Usually while placing things for baking I don wear mittens. Mostly I use them for removing the trays. As long as you are careful, it should be ok. It takes less than 5-10 seconds to place the items.

1 person likes this.
  4. stork82

stork82 Silver IL'ite

Thanks a lot SKMeera and Ramya. Will let you know how the experiment turns out. :)