1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Need help to buy a car

Discussion in 'Indians in New Jersey' started by gvart, Aug 21, 2010.

1. gvart

gvart Silver IL'ite

Hi all,
    we just moved into NJ a month back and we are looking to buy a new car.........just thinking of being in US for a max of 3yrs......my DH wants a new car.........really dont know whether to leasing or owning a car with no credit......and wat aud u friends suggest a brand new one or a used one.....put in your valuable suggestions adn guide me plz......we are literally going Witsend

2. kalaprabha

kalaprabha Silver IL'ite

Hi gvart,
    Since your planning to stay only for 3yrs buying a used car is a wise choice.In US you can get used car in good condition.Remember even for buying a used car you should have credit score.One of my hubby's friend was new to USA and had a similar problem so my hubby signed him in the papers as co-buyer.Not everyone will be willing to do that.If your husband has any Good friends here ask him to discuss with them and a car dealer as well.

Otherwise lease a car.
    All the best

Kala

3. radsahana

radsahana Silver IL'ite

hi

we came year 1 yr back, and even not knowing how long we will be staying here, we bought a new car.

Actually, initially we were looking for used car, in the range that it should be 2006-07 model and with 60000 miles. But we got rate around 18K for all Toyota or Honda vehicle

Then we got offer for new car 2010 model honda for 23k on road and with loan int 3%

For buying used car, it is arund 8-10% interest.

Then we also realised, buying old or new car, anyway we will be loosing around 4-5k, when we are selling it.

Only Advantage will be if we are buying used car, without loan, than it is useful.

But like Kala said, some of the friend need to be a Cobuyer and Co gurantor.

Even in our case, my DHs close friend signed as a gurantor.

4. gvart

gvart Silver IL'ite

Thanks a lot Kala and Radhika........

Will surely update about that...........

5. shubhasiddharth

shubhasiddharth Bronze IL'ite

Used car is a good/safe bet provided you do enough research on the same. The trusted way is craigslist: lansing classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events
    there will be thousands of car listings everyday, with some fake ones too..scan through the ads to your requirements and call the contact to find out if you can take a look at the car. Always remember to ask for VIN number of the car, this is a unique identification number which helps you in finding out if the car has any accidents anytime or any other default.you can check carfax.com for the car fax reports with the VIN number.

6. gvart

gvart Silver IL'ite

Thanks Subha..........will pin down on something and let you ppl know....