1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Need advise on resolving money issues and building trust

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by chillax, Jun 16, 2010.

1. chillax

chillax New IL'ite

We are married for 6yrs. Me and DH have been maintaining seperate accounts so far. I could never take a step to put all the earnings in a joint account as my mil made him buy a house on her name with all his savings plus he took a loan as well which he never disclosed to me. I accidentally came to know about the loan. I aksed DH about the loan and all he said was he didn't want put all the money at once to buy a house so he took a loan. I asked why he didn't talk to me about it and he said he I will freak out. If I freaked out and said no he would have taken the loan anyways.

DH being the only son, mil says if he invests on her name he will be getting everything after she passes away.Moreover if we ever to get divorced all his earnings will be safe and I will not get anything. DH thinks if were to get divorced he didn;t have to give anything as am more than capable of earning for myself. I don't know how much DH has challened to MIL so far.

Since we had a baby recently I want to explore all the options to resolve the issue. Please advise.

2. Visu2k

Visu2k Gold IL'ite

Strictly speaking it is your husband's prerogative to keep the property on your name or not as that was his earning. It doesn't look nice to say "his money" but that is what it becomes if you both have not reached an understanding level as to sharing each others' money. I see that you need to develop trust in each other which I find is still lacking. There is nothing wrong in having separate accounts but you should have enough trust to nominate the others' name in any property that you buy.

Here is how it works with me and my wife, we have separate accounts and freely take money from each other if need arises. We buy properties separately with our monies and it goes without saying that we nominate each others' name (not joint ownership), primary owner remains with myself or herself (whoever buys). But again all this needs trust.

3. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  4. ArchanaP

ArchanaP Silver IL'ite

Normally poeple get married, plan for kids and their future with the family. What's with planning "in case of divorce"?
    Divorce has become an easy word to utter these days.
    God help this world.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2010
    2 people like this.
  5. Visu2k

Visu2k Gold IL'ite

Yes that is sad. And I saw it happening in case of people I know. Especially in US where people are scared to even think of marriage without prenuptial agreements. Indian laws are better in this respect where a spouse cannot take undue advantage of earning spouse post divorce.

6. radhaparth2000

radhaparth2000 Platinum IL'ite

Is there anything 'i am missing here? You are married for 6 years and now are you thinking of divorce or your husband thinks what if something happen in the future??

7. rosegirl

rosegirl Bronze IL'ite

First of all this whole logic sucks. Your MIL is just plain mean.

Secondly, its not the name of whom the property is in thats evaluated in a divorce court but whose earning it was. I spoke to a divorce lawyer when my marriage was on the rocks. He said everything the couple accumulate after marriage will be shared equally. So you can show that the property was bought and paid for by your hubby and get your share. Even after divorce your hubby will have to pay alimony (if you dont earn or earn very less) and mandatory child support.Who are they kidding and trying to fool, I am not sure. Very brainy mom and son. :bonk

Please first talk to your husband about this whole my money your money crap and sort it out. Strictly make it a rule that any investment should be discussed with you and any property should be bought in your name and DH name only. No outsiders.

3 people like this.
  8. RadiantCat

RadiantCat Gold IL'ite

Arch, maybe people are trained to plan everything and have a risk mitigation plan in place. In today's world, divorce is yet another risk that is always there which gets escalated with the severity and finally a mitigation plan comes into place.

Even PMI cannot teach a plan for divorce, coping up during and post divorce.

People with normal healthy family's must thank their stars and count their blessings.

9. sarma

sarma Senior IL'ite

Sorry. Thankfully, that's not how the great State of California (where OP says she resides) views it, IMO. If the money is made after/during the marriage they both own it equally no matter whose account it resides in (unless there is a prenup). The flight of capital in the said case is not right considering the joint interest.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer. This is a personal opinion and could be inaccurate.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  10. ArchanaP

ArchanaP Silver IL'ite

Canwait, I agree with you completely. In that case, why can't such people go for live-in relationships and spare the other spouse the pain of divorce. But I still hate the word divorce in marriage. It changes a life to an extent where it cannot be recovered. And only one spouse feels the pain. To me looks like OP's husband is threatening her to get his ways done. I hated that because I had to take that threats right from the first year until I have had enough of it.