1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Need Advice from Indian Parents living in USA on Kids Citizenship Issues

Discussion in 'Immigration Matters' started by Xoxoxo, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Xoxoxo

Xoxoxo New IL'ite

Hello,

I need advice from Indian parents who moved with Indian born kids to the USA. I have a daughter who is born in US. I am in India for two years for my husband's international assignment. We cannot decide whether we should have another kid in India or wait till we get back to US. Mainly because we don't know if Indian citizenship for the second child will cause problems for him/her.

Here is my situation:

1. I will benefit a lot from having the baby in India as my first pregnancy was very difficult and the second one will also be difficult because of my health. So I will benefit from family care I can get in India.

2. My husband will get a green card in 1-2 year after we go back to USA. So I am assuming me and our second child will also become permanent resident easily.

This is what I am asking:

1. Is green card enough for schooling opportunities or will the child be considered different than US citizens?
    2. Will there be a problem with one child being a US citizen and other being Indian Citizen?

Thanks for your time. I highly appreciate your advice as I really need these answers :)

2. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

You and your kids will be eligible to apply for US citizenship after having GC for 5-years. Educational/Job opportunities are same for GC and US citizenship (except a few like defense).

These days most go for dual citizenship with US/India so that traveling and extended stay in both countries will be easier.

Having a baby in US also good, because better hospitals/good medical care. There are good Indian female obgyn doctors (even in your regional language speaking), you can find easily. Either way, you will be fine.

3. Xoxoxo

Xoxoxo New IL'ite

Thanks. I agree with you on the medical facilities in US. I had my first pregnancy in Michigan and my ob-gyn was American and I was taken care off really well. But that time my mom could come and help. This time if I decide to give birth in USA, I will be not be able to get help from family. I was on bed rest for the first pregnancy but that I can not do now in US :(
    I can not compare facilities in India (Delhi for me) to Michigan but my sister gave birth twice in Delhi and she had a good experience too.

Thanks for the advice on citizenship stuff :)