1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Nanny or day care

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by Akanksha1982, Jul 11, 2015.

1. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

My son is nearly 3 months old and i have taken a leave from work for 6 months. After that I may put him in day care of have a nanny or take some more time off. Haven't decided. I have heard pros and cons of daycare vs nanny. Would like to hear if you chose day care or nanny and what were the reasons?

2. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

For children under three year old I prefer a nanny (or someone taking care of children at home). Small children gets stressed to be in big groups. They also fall sick very often if in daycare. The challenge is though to find a good and caring nanny.

sindmani and Akanksha1982 like this.
  3. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

@Akanksha1982

At Daycare children do fall sick very often and you have to be prepared for that.
    My DS started DayCare when he was 4months and it was winter and he would fall sick every other week. We took him out of day and was with a Nanny till he turned 1 year. Now is he back to Daycare and is doing better, infact he is getting bored at home. my DS is real explorer and he loves going out and spending time outside with lot of activities.

I would suggest Nanny till they can walk and have finger food on their own. Best time to start daycare is in summer.
    Choose one that has fewer students in each pod or class and are flexible in schedule as per kids needs.

1 person likes this.
  4. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Nanny would be a good choice...preferably at their home. In a group they fall sick often.
    Syamala

sindmani and Akanksha1982 like this.
  5. JustMyself

JustMyself Gold IL'ite

If the option to take a break from work for another 9-12 months is possible, try that. If not, for a 3 month old, Nanny is the best option.

Day care is when they can walk and express their needs in some way possible,

2 people like this.
  6. Akanksha1982

Taking a break for 9-12 months is possible, but i am already getting bored and missing work. I will be home for at least 3 more months. Maybe will extend it for a month. Yes. I am looking for Nanny.

7. Akanksha1982

Thanks @shyamala1234 @viki123 @CrayoNess for your inputs. Yes. I am also inclined to hire a Nanny.

8. SadMarried

SadMarried Silver IL'ite

dear OP , i have same dilemma ..difference between yours and mine is , we live in different country and my baby is 14 months old. Its very hard to get trustworthy and reliable nanny here in london , so im thinking of day care (2,3 days a week) , but he is very fussy eater , so m really worried what if he doesnt eat and they just give up in first try.

9. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

@SadMarried,
    I am not sure how are daycares in ur country, But in my DS Daycare there were flexible with his eating scheduled. But my DS turned picky eater at daycare, so I am sending hit favorites like pasta, sandwitch, fruits etcs. And others i feed his at home.

Also talk to teachers, they will give to feedback on what he likes, so based on that you can pack his lunches.
    Also kids starts eating on their own at daycare, seeing other kids. After 1 month he started eating along with other kids as per class schedule.

1 person likes this.
  10. Udasgirl

Udasgirl Bronze IL'ite

I put mine at daycare when he was 14 months on part time (3 days a week) and started fulltime when he was 16 months.. He goes to regular day care center so he fell sick often at beginning but soon developed immunity..
    I guess after they start solids it's good to put them in day care as they become much more social with other kids and many people around etc.. also they have lots of toys, puzzles, books and outside pay areas with sand pit etc so it helps in their development too :)

1 person likes this.