Namma Naadu Namma Sampradaya!

Discussion in 'Karnataka' started by 1anitha1978, Jul 18, 2012.

1. 1anitha1978

1anitha1978 Silver IL'ite

Dear All,

"Namma Naadu, Namma Sampradaya!"

This is my small attempt to present & preserve our proud culture, traditions and intangible knowledge from the past generations!

As I have been staying far away from home country for a decade and more, I realize and value my traditions much more than before. Hence a thought of bringing the information from all our elders under one roof surfaced in my mind. I later thought of making use of our social networking tools for this cause.

I wish to share the traditions, festivals, shlokas, culture, food, health care tips from the proud state of Karnataka.

So, this is my humble request to all Ils to help me in this attempt by providing me with valuable treasure of knowledge that you all have. I really look forward to put together this treasure all under one umbrella!

To start with I have the below categories:

1.Namma Degulagalu
    2.Namma Devara Mane
    3.Mane Maddu
    4.Bananthiya Sushrushe
    5.Sthotragalu
    6.Namma Kannada Bhajanegalu
    7.Habba Haridina - (Including Habbada Thayarigalu, Naivedya, Pooja Vidhi)
    8.Karnatakada Thinisugalu
    9.Shubha Dina, Achara, Vicharagalu
    10.Maduve, Munji, Naamakarana Ithyadi (Thayaarigalu)
    11.Haadu Hase

This is just the beginning, pl forgive me if there is any mistakes. I really hope to get good encouragement from all of you to make this project a great success.

Kindly select the topic of your interest and feel free to post any information/tips/pictures that you have. Credit will be given to the Author in every post if the information here is used in anyother place like blog.

Looking forward for a great Moral Boost from all of you! Pl pass this message on.

Please do share with me your thoughts, suggestions on the way forward!

Thanks & Best Regards,
    Anitha Murali

7 people like this.

2. 1anitha1978

Any body who did Bheemana Amavasya pooja here? Share your views, and the way you performed the pooja..

3. pinky6

pinky6 Platinum IL'ite

hey anitha good one...even i am from karnataka but married to tamilian........i can read and write kannada........even am intrested to talk about namma karnataka.........

4. pinky6

pinky6 Platinum IL'ite

i knew it was amavasya yesterday but i din't know that it was beemana amavsya.......i missed it.......:bonk

5. 1anitha1978

@pinky..thanks for your response dear.. This is exactly why i want to compile information under one umbrella.
    Great to know that you are interested to join hands. Will you be able to post any articles or information on any of the topics mentioned soon ? I am working to compile 100 posts on any of the above topics! It will be great if you can help !

6. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Dear Anitha...
    Very good topics am sure will add my views.. At our home we dont celebrate Bhimana Amavasya.. so I dont know much about it...

7. 1anitha1978

Thank you VJ, will look forward for your views..

8. lalithasathish

lalithasathish Silver IL'ite

hi anitha,
    a very nice thread with great topics..I would also try to add my views where ever applicable..i am basically a tamilian born and bought up in karnataka..so know a little bit abt kannada tradition(as we celebrate both tamil and kannada festivals) ..
    And yes i used to celebrate bheemana amavasya at my native till i got married for the well being of my brother ..here are my points below on how i used to celebrate it..

1. Bheemana amavasya is performed every year in the mnth of july -august ( also called as ashaada maasa)

2.We pray to lord Shiva /Parvathi for the well being of husbands/brother. ( i used to pray for my brother)

3.My mom used to make a dough made of rice flour with a coin hidden in it and place it in the centre of the vaassapodi(on the front door:dont remember what they say it in kannada ) .I used to put arishina kumkuma on it and pray Lord for well being of my brother.Once the puja is complete ,brother comes and smashes the dough and removes the coin and gives the coin to me(in general for the sisters praying for the well being of brothers)

4. Significance i don't remember much now though my granny used to say some story of why it is celebrated long time back.I was too young then :(.. Will check with my mom and post it in the next thread incase i gather any information on it.

5 people like this.
  9. vidchakra

vidchakra Platinum IL'ite

Dear Ani,
    Great thread!
    Like Lalli I am also a Tamilian born and brought up in Karnataka. I dont have much idea as we dont celebrate.
    I think Lalli has already shared some good info about the pooja.
    From what I have heard from my friends - It was on this day Shiva accepted Parvati's love. Hence women pray to Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvathi. Unmarried pray for good husband and married women pray for the longetivity of their husbands.

1 person likes this.
  10. pinky6

pinky6 Platinum IL'ite

hi everyone, am going to give some infomation about our temples.......
    Sri Mahalakshmi Temple, Goravanahalli....... i been to this temple many times and consider it as powerfull place......
    i googled the info and posting it here......

Goravanahalli is one of the popular pilgrim centers located in the Koratagere taluk of Tumkur district. Goravanahalli is situated at about 80 Kms from Bangalore and 30 Kms from Tumkur (District headquarters).

The temple here is dedicated to goddess Mahalakshmi. It is believed that the idol of Shri Mahalakshmi is self originated. This unique and ancient temple attracts many a pilgrims. Special pooja's will be performed on Fridays. Free lunch is provided daily for the devotees.

Other Temples at Goravanahalli:
    1. Oni Nagappa
    2. Renukamba Temple

Distances from Goravanahalli:
    Bangalore: 80 Kms
    Koratagere: 10 kms
    Tumkur: 30 kms

How to reach Goravanahalli:
    Goravanahalli is well connected by roads; KSRTC Buses (from Bus station) & Private Buses (from Kalasipalyam) ply daily to Goravanahalli from Bangalore.

One should take turn towards Goravanahalli at Dabaspet on Bangalore - Tumkur road (highway).

Nearest Railway station: Tumkur and Bangalore

Nearest Airport: Bangalore

Other places near Goravanahalli:
    1. Devarayanadurga
    2. Siddaganga
    3. Shivaganga
    4. Siddara betta

Address:
    Sri Mahalakshmi Temple
    Goravanahalli,
    Koratagere Taluk,
    Tumkur District