1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

N. Dutta, A Music Maker With A Difference

Discussion in 'Music and Dance' started by Cheeniya, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

During the course of my interaction with you on Shankar Jaikishan, I mentioned to you of his assistant Duttaram who rose to great fame with his song Ansoo Bhari Hai Yeh Jeevan Ki Raahen (Parvarish, 1958) Duttaram and N.Datta were both born in Goa within two years of each other, Duttaram being the younger of the two. Duttaram joined Shankar Jaikishan as a drummer and Dutta joined S.D.Burman.
    Datta ran away from home at the age 12 and reached Mumbai. He learnt classical music there and was spotted by S.D.Burman who took him as his assistance. And very soon, he became a noted composer. His career lasted for 25 years from 1955 to 1980. He had a strong following of fans and I am one of them. Here are some of his songs:

Sung by Lata for Vyjayanthimala in Sadhana in 1958

Also from Sadhana

From Dhool Ka Phool in 1959. This was the first song that Mahendra Kapur sang with Lata. Look at Mala Sinha's natural expressions.

Film Light House sung beautifully by Asha for Nutan

From the movie Black Cat sung by Lata and Rafi for Balraj Sahni, Minoo Mumtaz

2. Greenbay

Greenbay Gold IL'ite

I have heard many of his composed songs so many times especially aansu Bhari hai, and Tere Pyar Ka Aasraa but had not paid much attention to his filmography. It is nice of you to bring the less celebrated names like N Datta whose many compositions were as good as celebrated folks. BTW N stands for Naik, quite a common surname in Goa but quite a rarity in Bollywood music.

3. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

Cheeniya sir,
    thanks to you enjoyed a full half hour listening to the lovely songs. Although these are all time favourites and I've heard them often, had not known they were all Dutta's music creations. Listening to such old numbers truly take us back in time, nothing to match the lyrics, picturisation , music of the 50s and 60s especially.

4. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

@Cheeniya Sir,
    Never heard about N. dutta and his compositions. First time knowing about his compositions and pardon my ignorance. Thank you for sharing about him otherwise I never know all those songs.

5. Cheeniya

@Greenbay
    Thank you for your response and I am happy that you like my series.
    By the way, Aansoo bhari hai yey jeevan was composed by Duttaram for the movie Parvarish.

6. Cheeniya

Dear @joylokhi
    Thank you for your response and I am glad that you liked my presentation. I have the advantage of age to have seen the concerned movies. There is a difference between listening to these songs in movies and in radio or records. Old age is most certainly an advantage!

joylokhi likes this.
  7. Cheeniya

@Mistt
    Dear Mistt
    You will have many more 'firsts' as I go farther and farther into antiquity. I am happy that you are following my presentations.

Mistt likes this.
  8. Cheeniya

From the movie Chandrakanth by Rafi (1956). A great favourite of mine: