Mythological Stories

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by anurar20, Feb 21, 2012.

1. anurar20

anurar20 IL Hall of Fame

Offering hair to Lord Srinivasa at Tirumala

When Lord Balaji was hit by a shepard on his head, a small portion of his scalp becomes bald. There is no hair growth over there and this is noticed by a Gandharva princess Neela Devi. She feels "such an attractive face should not have a flaw". Immediately she cuts a portion of her hair and with her magical power she implants it on his scalp. Then Lord Balaji notices her sacrifice as hair is the beautiful aspect of Female, he promises her that all his devotees who come to his abode should render their hair to him and she would be the recipient of all that hair received. Hence it is believed that hair offered by the devotees is collected by Neela devi.

2. anurar20

anurar20 IL Hall of Fame

Dear SSM Mam,

You have nicely explained the story of Ganges i came across this felt very detailed so i am posting it again with your permission.

regards,
    anu

Detailed - origin of Gangas (Vishwamitra explained to Rama)

King Sagara waited in vain for the return of the princes who had gone in search of the sacrificial horse.

After some days he called his grandson, Amsuman, and said: "I am anxious to know what has happened to the princes who went to Patala. You are brave; go thither, well-armed and find out what has happened and come back crowned with success."

Amsuman went closely following the path of the princes and reached the nether world where he saw and paid salutations to the mighty elephants standing guard at the four quarters. These guardians of the quarters uttered encouraging words and said he would succeed in his mission.

When in due course Amsuman entered and went round Patala he was delighted when he found the sacrificial horse grazing contentedly there, but was perplexed and distressed when he saw heaps of ashes all over the place. Could they be all that remained of his valiant uncles?

Garuda, the bird-king, brother of Sumati, Sagara's second wife, who chanced to be there told Amsuman: "Those ash heaps are all that is left of the sixty thousand sons of Sagara who were consumed by the wrathful glance of Sage Kapila. Dear child, take the horse and complete the yaga. If these ashes are to be watered according to custom so that the souls of the princes may rest in peace, <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on">Ganga</st1:place> should be brought down here from the land of the Devas."

Amsuman rushed home with the horse and told the king all that he had found and learnt.

Sagara was immersed in sorrow at the fate that had overtaken his sons. However, the horse having been brought back, he completed the yaga. Grieving over his lost sons and despairing of ever bringing <st1:place w:st="on">Ganga</st1:place> down to the nether world, he died disconsolate.

According to the Ramayana, Sagara lived for 30,000 years. Figures like 30,000 and 60,000 need not confuse us. Thirty thousand may mean either a very large number or just thirty. If we so like, we may take these figures literally.

Amsuman succeeded Sagara as King of Ayodhya and was, in turn, succeeded by Dilipa. Bhagiratha came after Dilipa.

Amsuman and Dilipa though happy and blessed in other respects, died grieving that they were unable to bring <st1:place w:st="on">Ganga</st1:place> to Patala for the salvation of their forefathers.

Bhagiratha was a valiant king. He was childless. Desiring progeny and hoping to bring <st1:place w:st="on">Ganga</st1:place> down, he left for Gokarna for performing penance, leaving the kingdom in the hands of his ministers.

Bhagiratha went through severe austerities. With fire on all sides and head exposed to the hot sun, and taking food but once a month, he continued his tapas. Bhagiratha's name has come to signify great perseverance in any good cause.

Brahma, pleased with the tapas, appeared before Bhagiratha and asked: "What would you have?"

Bhagiratha told him two wishes: "If you have pity on me, bless me with a child to continue the line of my forebears. Secondly, cursed by Kapila Muni, my ancestors lie a heap of ashes in Patala. The ashes should be washed by the waters of <st1:place w:st="on">Ganga</st1:place> so that their souls may ascend top heaven. May you be pleased to order <st1:place w:st="on">Ganga</st1:place> to go down."

Brahma replied: "The Devas are pleased with your tapas. You wishes are granted. But there is one difficulty. The earth cannot withstand the force of <st1:place w:st="on">Ganga</st1:place>'s descent. Siva alone can stand it. Therefore direct your penance and prayers to him."

Bhagiratha renewed his tapas and continued long without food or water, and at last won Siva's grace. Siva appeared and said to Bhagiratha: "I shall fulfil your wish. I shall receive <st1:place w:st="on">Ganga</st1:place> on my head. May her grace be upon you."

When Mahadeva promised help to Bhagiratha, <st1:place w:st="on">Ganga</st1:place> began her descent as ordered by Brahma. In her arrogance, she thought she would fall on Mahadeva's head and sweep him away towards Patala

The three-eyed God decided to teach <st1:place w:st="on">Ganga</st1:place> a lesson. And the moment he willed it, the flood of waters that fell on his head were held by his matted hair as in an infinite receptacle. <st1:place w:st="on">Ganga</st1:place> tried her best but not a drop could emerge from the tangled maze of Siva's matted locks.

This was a lesson to <st1:place w:st="on">Ganga</st1:place> to be sure, but a heart-braking disappointment to Bhagiratha. There was nothing for him but to propitiate Siva with tapas. This he did to such good purpose that Siva took pity on him and gently let out the waters of <st1:place w:st="on">Ganga</st1:place> in Bindu Saras from where they flowed down in seven small separate streams.

Three of them flowed west and three east; and the seventh river followed Bhagiratha who was full of joy at the approaching salvation of his ancestors.

<st1:place w:st="on">Ganga</st1:place> followed Bhagiratha's triumphal chariot; the waters danced and shone like lightning flashes as the river made its course and the Devas and Gandharvas assembled above to witness the grand sight. Sometimes slow and sometimes fast, now sliding down and now jumping up, the river went on dancing behind Bhagiratha's chariot and the folk of heaven enjoyed the sight all the way.

On her course, <st1:place w:st="on">Ganga</st1:place> damaged the yaga platform of a rishi by name Jahnu. The rishi took the entire flood in his palm and sipped it off. <st1:place w:st="on">Ganga</st1:place> disappeared again and Bhagiratha was sorely perplexed.

The Devas and other rishis approached Jahnu and begged him to forgive <st1:place w:st="on">Ganga</st1:place> and allow Bhagiratha to reap the fruit of his great austerities and perseverance. The sage relented and let <st1:place w:st="on">Ganga</st1:place> out through his right ear. The Devas were glad and blessed <st1:place w:st="on">Ganga</st1:place> thus: "Coming out of the rishi's body as out of your mother's womb, you are now Jahnavi, Jahnu's daughter."

There was no further hindrance or mishap and <st1:place w:st="on">Ganga</st1:place> reached Patala through the ocean. With the holy waters, Bhagiratha performed the funeral rites for his arcestors and secured for them their entry to heaven. Bhagiratha's efforts having brought <st1:place w:st="on">Ganga</st1:place> down, she is known as Bhagirathi.

3. anurar20

anurar20 IL Hall of Fame

Story of the Earrings of Hanuman

Hanuman is believed to have born with earring made of five metals – gold, silver, copper, iron and tin. Hanuman got this earring when Vaali, the Vanara King, attacked him out of jealousy – fearing that a powerful Hanuman will be his foe.

Legend has it that when Vaali came to know about the birth of Hanuman. He had his fears – he thought that Hanuman will over power him and become the emperor. So Vaali decides to annihilate Hanuman in Anjana’s womb.

To achieve his aim, Vaali prepare a missile made of five metals – gold, silver, copper, iron and tin. At the right opportunity, when Anjana was sleeping, he throws the missile at Hanuman in the womb.

But the power of Hanuman was so great that the missile melted and transformed into earrings.

Hanuman was born with these earrings.

4. anurar20

anurar20 IL Hall of Fame

Why Tulsi is not offered to Lord Ganesha?

Ganesha is offered all sorts of sacred flowers, fruits and sweets in worship but not the Tulsi leaves, the sacred basil. Tulsi is very much venerated by hindus, specially the vaishnavas, but it is not offered to Ganesha because of a curse. A story says that once Ganesha was engaged in deep meditation on the banks of ganga on Vishnu. Ganesha resplendent in yellow robes looked very attractive. His body was besmeared with fragrant sandal paste and ointments. Costly jewels decorated his effulgent body. As Ganesha was thus engaged in prayers, there came Tulsi. As soon as she saw Ganesha, she fell in love with him and requested him to take her as his wife.

She said that she was the daughter of dharmatmaja and engaged in tapas in order to obtain a suitable husband. Ganesha then replied her humbly, “O Lady, marriage is a great source of all kinds of troubles. It disturbs the peace of mind and destroys tapas. Therefore I cannot marry you. I have vowed to remain celibate ever engaged in prayer and penance. Kindly choose some one else for your spouse.”

These words of Ganesha annoyed Tulsi. She took it as her insult and got angry. In her anger she cursed Ganesha saying, “You will definitely get married against you wishes”. Ganesha, the best of the gods cursed her in retaliation saying, “You would be possessed by a demon in marriage, and then under a curse from the saints become a plant”.

On hearing this curse, Tulsi grew repentant and praised and prayed Ganesha. This softened and pleased Ganesha and he said, “O Tulsi, you will be regarded supreme among the plants. All the gods will love you, but you will be specially dear to <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on">Krishna</st1:place>. Whosoever worships the lord with your leaves as offering would achieve liberation in heaven, but you will always be unacceptable by me.” With these words Ganesha engaged himself in meditation. Meanwhile Tulsi retired to Pushakara, the holy lake and began severe tapas. Later under ganapati's curse she became the wife of the demon king called Shankhachuda. She lived with him as his beloved wife, but then her husband was killed by Shankara and she turned into a plant of holy basil, so dear to Lord Hari.

5. anurar20

anurar20 IL Hall of Fame

Goddess Lakshmi and Lord Shani

Once travelling in the galaxial path, mother Lakshmi happened to meet Shani deva. Both being very top authorities of the universe, entered to into an argument as to who must leave the way for the another. Ending into a no-acceptable solution, they reached out to Indra, Brihaspati & then to the most respected trinities. But, the confused trinities were too not able to converge to a good decision.Finally, Lord Vishnu suggested to reach none other than devarshi Narada, who alone could pacify the candidates.Narada appeared there & then. Hearing to both sides, he requested Lakshmi devi & Shani deva to walk together to & fro as many times as they could.

In the course of their walk, Narada use to appreciate in a loud voice - "Very nice ! Very nice ! ..... "To this, the trinities with others run to Narada & ask who is supreme.Narada smiled & then replied - "I have observed Lakshmi devi & Shani deva very minutely. Their walk styles are highly attractive. It gives me equal comfort when I witness them here or anywhere. I rate them equal hence. "But this was certainly not an expected outcome for anybody round there. The annoyed devas asked Narada to pacify them with a more intellectual reply.

Narada disclosed - "Though the walk styles are equally attractive, still, there is a difference !! "And, what is that difference? "It is nice to see Lakshmi walking towards me & Shani walking away from me." (i.e it is good while Goddess Lakshmi entering once life and it is good while Lord Shani leaving once life) "Therefore, the enjoyment is entirely time/requirement dependent...." "Time & time alone distinguishes the importance of Lakshmi & Shani. They are equally respectful otherwise & else. "Pacified devas & trinities supported Naradas's brilliant view of tackling the problem in one voice.On the other hand, Lakshmi & Shani also blessed Narada & saluted each other also.

6. anurar20

anurar20 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Ilites,

Please share your views and stories you come accross and make this thread live.

Thanks

7. anurar20

anurar20 IL Hall of Fame

Bhima Meets Hanuman

While in exile, Bhima once had to go out by himself on a mission. Passing through the dense forest along a narrow path, he came by a small old monkey lazing wayside with its long tail stretched out on the path.

Looking at Bhima, the monkey addressed him thus: Are you not the great Bhima? My salutations to you!

Bhima was, understandingly, surprised to come by a talking monkey and said with pride: Well, I am glad you recognise me. Now move your tail away so I can pass by. It is not wont of me to walk across any creature.

The monkey said: Oh, dear, don't you see how old and sick I am? Will you please oblige and move the tail yourself?

Bhima, thinking it rather unpleasant to touch a monkey and that too its tail, stuck out the little finger of his left hand and pushed it. But the tail did not move. Hiding his surprise, he used his whole left hand and tried pushing it. Yet it did not budge a mustard seed's width. To one endowed with the strength of eight thousand elephants, this was too much! Feeling crushed, yet hiding it, he used both his hands to push the tail but to no avail. Suddenly it dawned upon his not-so-brilliant intelligence that it was no ordinary monkey that he was dealing with.

He fell at the monkey's feet and said: Oh, mighty one! I beg of you to reveal your true identity to me. I am your humble servant!

Shedding his disguise, Chiranjeevi Maruti, son of the Wind god and Bhima's brother, revealed himself.

He blessed Bhima saying: Shed your pride and take refuge in the Lord. You shall be victorious! My power shall always be with the Pandavas. I shall ride upon Arjuna's flag.

Bhima bowed down to his brother in all humility.