1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

MyBlog-12 (Happy St.Patricks Day)

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Pragmatic, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Pragmatic

Pragmatic New IL'ite

Being new to US culture, I was almost unaware about St. Patricks day untill I came across my neighbourhood lady in our apartment lift. I noticed she was wearing a green color skirt and surprisingly her pet pup was also wrapped in a green sweater..& trust me the pup was looking soooooo sweeet n bright :)

I went out for my regular stroll and noted that number of people were dressed in Green...I stepped into the grocery store and it was well decorated with Green Stuff and I could see lots of balloons stating "Happy Patricks Day"....I was happy to see the jolly environment within the store. The lady at the billing counter too greeted me with a broad smile n cheered "Happy St. Patricks Day" . I reverted her with a thanks and a smile on my face...ahh m loving it :)
    On my way back to home, tons of questions started floating in my mind...what is this day all about, whats so special , why 'Go Green' is the mantra of the day , who actually was St. Patrick?

Came back home and started browsing ..Oh I love my lappy (laptop) :) My lappy is one good solemn aunt who listens to my cribs (I type my heartburns in a notepad n shift+del ;) hurray! I feel better!), who provides me all the information, shows me movies, brings up good music for me , I can put it on and off as per my wish , who answers all my queries n never complains :tongue ...I love u lappy ;) hehhee.

okies enough of gaga about my laptop :rotfl ...so I did some research and summarized that St. Patrick's day falls on 17th Mar , is a memorial day celebrated on the death anniversary of St. Patrick , Official holiday of Ireland , season for green bear, shamrocks, green food, parade's . The most eye catching and fascinating info I got was this ...The Chicago River is dyed green every St. Patrick 's Day to kick off the weekend celebration :)
    cool !! would love to watch it once ...may be next year :) uhhh ..on a second thought ..i am wondering if this coloring of river water is safe? :confused2:

Love
    Pragmatic

2. S Priya

S Priya Senior IL'ite

Hi prags,

Thank you for sharing ur experience and giving us a good piece of information, all in green it must have been a treat to ur eyes, regarding river hope nobody jumps into to look green. Ur lappy has turned to be even ur best friend.Keep enjoying !

3. swathi14

swathi14 IL Hall of Fame

Hai Pragmatic,

Thanks for sharing the lovely US atmosphere on St. Patrick's day. We too enjoyed with you.

Happy St. Patrick's day.

andal

4. SeethaHari

SeethaHari New IL'ite

Dear Pragmatic,

St. Patrick's Day is also the starting of spring and bloomming of daffodils. With vivid colors and sunshine everywhere, its time to enjoy.
    This year we had the opportunity to watch the parade at St.Louis, Missouri with all the floats, bands, Irish dances and vintage cars and loads of fun.
    I see a new entusisam in your blogs.
    Good , march on and your happy , spring days are seen through your blog.

Take care and Happy days ahead,

5. Pragmatic

Pragmatic New IL'ite

Wow ...watching parade wud have been fun:)
    Thanks Seetha for the additional info ...yea spring is just around the corner
    Have a jolly day

6. likemychai

likemychai New IL'ite

Very nice to see it through your eyes, it's as if new for me again as well. My father's side had Irish and so I grew up with all the "greenery", lol... we had Irish soda bread and sweet Irish potato candy every year (very good, basically sweetened coconut balls rolled in cinnamon powder to look like little potatoes - try them!). My favorite part is watching stepdancers, when they get going you can feel the rhythm go right through you. Do a youtube search on riverdance and you'll see what I mean. Lá Fhéile Phádraig! (Happy St. Pat's!)

7. Pragmatic

Pragmatic New IL'ite

Amazing ...shall definetely search for riverdance..this is exciting :) i love celebrations :)
    thanks
    Pragmatic