1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My Views On English Language

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Caide, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Caide

Caide IL Hall of Fame

Hi all :D
    I always wonder why my mother tongue(Tamil) is not as famous as English :( And even i wonder and felt bad while conveying my message to someone else (even Tamil people) English is the only way. Though i feel comfortable with English, I don't like it as much as i love Tamil. Even here i am posting in English so that all can understand :)

First and foremost reason is i find the respect we give to someone while we are speaking in our own mother language is missing in English .
    Like in English"You.."
    In Tamil "நீங்கள்.."
    In Hindi "आप..."
    In Telugu "Miru.."
    In korean "dangsin"

And the list goes on but in English We can feel respect in heart but not in our conversation. We can only feel respect, anger, excitement only from the way it is expressed..

And second, Being in IT i don't like to call my colleagues with their names at all. Particularly in my team i am junior while rest are 10-15 yrs elder. Our parents taught us to give respect to elders but its is missing in IT field.
    It doesn't mean i am accusing English language i just can't accept certain things :) We feel to throw out our honorifics only with our close ones you see :)

But i like English for one thing the most :D scolding :D yeah scolding in English is far more better than using bad words of our own language :)

East or west home is the best likewise My mother tongue is best for me :) love it no matter what :)
    NO offense i am just sharing my point of view :)

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016

2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

In fact, I feel it is better to have one word for everybody - 'you'. As you say, the respect or the lack of it comes in the way we express ourselves. Besides saying 'neengal' or 'aap' does not necessarily express 'respect'. One can use those pronouns and still be cursing the person in their hearts. Besides, respect is something we should give everybody irrespective of their age and gender. Basic respect as a human being is the birthright of all. Respect for their personality and behaviour has to be earned.

The IT culture is not disrespectful. I suppose the reason for the first name culture is to bring in a bit of informality in an otherwise stressful work atmosphere. First name is not disrespectful. You can't be disrespectful to your boss in your behaviour even if you call him by name. Besides if you feel uncomfortable, it is always possible to maintain a formality by addressing someone by Mr./Ms. XYZ.

Just my personal opinion.

Viswamitra, kcb, ksuji and 6 others like this.
  3. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

@Caide

'You' is actually a formal usage in English. 'Thou' is the informal way which is considered old-fashioned, so it is almost never used. W.r.t to your colleagues, you can choose to address them with honorifics... Ms. X, Mr. Y or XYZ Sir, ABC maam depending on your work place. IMO, calling colleagues by names is in practice to encourage fair and equal treatment for all. There are two aspects to this situation: the language aspect and the cultural aspect. Our cultural expectations/practices when mixed with a foreign language causes the confusion. Treat them together or apart as per the situation/person to make it work.

Mother tongues are more popular outside of India I would say. People prefer English over other languages to coexist.

Caide likes this.
  4. Caide

Caide IL Hall of Fame

agreed but as i stated above i feel uncomfortable to represent my colleagues by their name i meant only me :) and i have also stated respect comes from heart but wat i meant was we throw out honorifics may be me only with the ones who i am close with :) yeah respect has to be earned :)
    yeah i use Mr/Ms thanks for sharing your views and commenting here :)

5. Caide

Caide IL Hall of Fame

correct and mother tongue though its famous its not used as English language and thanks for comment :)

Sparkle likes this.
  6. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

And English is quite confusing, the pronunciation, I mean. the U in BUT is pronounced quite differently from U in PUT. All European languages except English have equivalents of both Aap and Tum. English was a respectful language once but it got rid of its Thee and Thou and reduced everything to YOU and ceased to be respecter of people.

Caide likes this.
  7. Caide

Caide IL Hall of Fame

yeah :) and lots of short forms which even made google dictionary and mobile message dictionary to adopt it :) is it because of development in technology or our own laziness :) i am lazy i use short forms too :) yeah and particular confusion is whether to follow british english or american english :) and even i get confused how to spell :) Odour or odor :) Organization or organisation :)

vaidehi71 likes this.
  8. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

While talking to my DD When I pronounced Mitchelle Obama rhyming with Nickel she had a good laugh and said it should be Mishal Obama. Why the 'e' in the end which is silent. In 'philosophy' the letter p sounds like F. Strange are the ways of English but still it is the universal language of communication, which cannot be said about Tamil.

Agatha83

KashmirFlower, vaidehi71 and Caide like this.
  9. Caide

Caide IL Hall of Fame

haha true true while i was posting this thread and while reading your comment too i remembered a scene from Salaam-e-Ishq movie where one of heroine introduce herself to Govinda as "stephanie" :) he take it as "stepney of car" :D thanks for sharing this particularly smart daughter you got there :)

vaidehi71 likes this.
  10. beautifullife30

beautifullife30 Platinum IL'ite

You know what I am getting reminded of:

Sorgamae Endralum Athu Nam Ooru Pola Varuma.
    Athu Ennaadu Endralum Athu Nam Naatukkeedaaguma
    Pala desam muzhudhum pesum mozhigal
    Tamil pol inithidumaaa.....

haha....

I love all the languages J...be it Tamil, Telugu, English, French, Hindi....

Each language has its own melody.

As few of the posters had mentioned above, the MNC culture encourages you to address the person on first name basis. This is to ensure everybody gets a fair treatment. If you are uncomfortable, you can always address people as sir or ma'am.

In my team, I address people with the first names while my colleague uses the word sir to address them. Who is correct is the debate we keep having most of the times. It depends on how comfortable you are.

ME.....I love English.....inspite of India being a country with multiple languages, its only English which has united the country when it comes to languages! I can go to any state in this country and talk in English and get away with it.

But I am not demeaning the other languages...just that I am very comfortable in English. When I was growing up, my aunt used to talk with me in English only. Me and my DH converse in English only!

Me from two different states, he from two different states! (well I am counting the state you belong to and the state you were brought up in) so our common language has now become English! :blush:

Sparkle, vaidehi71 and Caide like this.