1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My Married Life - Need Advice.

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Mythi19, Oct 22, 2016.

1. Mythi19

Mythi19 New IL'ite

I am married for almost two years. My MIL is very conservative, sentimental. She argues and gets angry with anyone who tells otherwise to her opinion. She sweet talks and helps others as she believes it will do good to her children. She acts like a kind person but talks bad about almost everyone behind. My husband has been brought up by MIL in such a way that he is money minded,a bit cowardly(afraid of theme park rides, visiting dentist etc) and shouts and overreacts for silly things(on everyone at home). He talks to her so much and not much to me in front of her.
    After our engagement he used to command me a lot. Slowly started to understand that they spend money lavishly for their status(middle class), demanded a grand marriage which my father did but they were never satisfied. Except for the first time we met, I booked movie tickets, paid restaurant and credit card bills etc. till now.
    After marriage, I came to know that they had loans to be repaid taken for different purposes which my husband was not aware. He had to repay it every month and give money for family maintenence(totally his total salary). We used to make other expenses with my salary(repaid car loan). He used to behave insultingly in front of IL's and they have lot of insecurities if we go out and are happy together. Mostly he goes out alone for night show movies or out of station with his friends. They are fine with that as long as I am there at home to work. Even my IL's go out a lot for different functions or SIL place. At home, me and MIL share work. My husband used to scold me if his mom tells anything about me but never hears what I have to say. He says being younger I only should adjust. Even If IL's are wrong he will never ask them. I had to adjust a lot and slowly built a normal relationship with them(By thinking they are aged and I should respect them by not taking things seriously).

About my parents, they are both retired and live on the house rent. I have a younger sister. We have properties as well. My dad is almost 70% blind in both eyes and my mom is also not in a good state of health nowadays. My dad hates spending money lavishly which did not go well with my in laws family. IL's told not to give any household items as we are going to live in a joint family. Just after marriage when my parents came home, they demanded money saying we missed giving household items and spoke in a rude manner. My dad got angry and said this behaviour(lying) is not acceptable. They twisted it saying parents should have told softly. They were compromised by my uncle(They listened to him as he was rich :mad:) My husband rarely takes me to my momplace(just 1 hour travel) and Also my husband never used to talk directly to them. Not replies and eats properly. My mom and me have to ask him many times.My parents were not happy with the way my husband behaves as well as treats me.
    My husband and IL's constantly used to insult my parents saying they are not caring for me, not coming to our home after marriage and not giving me money. My IL's give money(mostly from my husband) and send things including food many days to my SIL(home maker) and doesnt live with in laws.
    For my pregnancy and pre-pregnancy treatment, MIL and DH said I should go only to the hospital suggested by them(Money paid by me).
    During my delivery time, my MIL created problems and my husband started shouting that he is going to leave as our family is not respecting them. My dad said in angry tone to my mom 'Let him go if he wants'. They created a big scene for that and my MIL shouted back at dad rudely. My DH wanted me to come to IL's lace and not go to mom place. My DH created so much tension in hospital that lot of people including doctors came to know. He also tried sweet talking to make me come with him. He told my mom to keep me permanently with her as I told I will not come and used Divorce word as well. I got angry on my MIL over phone when she argued that she will not come to our home for baby naming function so I should come over there.
    After coming to my mom place, they created so much tension by calling my relatives and telling them they took good care of me even though I never did any household work(Not true).Also told that My parents are selfish, never took care of me after marriage, did not give money for scans during pregnancy, and did not give me money. My mom has not served good food to her son even though he visits rarely. I got angry and told my relatives all the nasty things my IL's and husband has told me including asking to get property from my father. My relatives asked me why I did not say these things before. A common relative then scolded them saying if they give a police compliant what will u do. After that my FIL came home to see baby and my parents invited them to naming cermony. In naming ceremony my MIL did lot of commanding as well.

Now also my husband is pressurzing me to come back as soon as possible and but says he has lost all love on me as I have insulted him by telling what he said to relatives etc. He will never leave his parents to come separately for sure. Nothing happens as per wish from cooking to going out. They command all aspects of my life. How should I react with them to get my stand. Till now I have been as good to them as possible. I am confused if I have been bending so much. I have stopped talking to my IL's over phone. Now my husband has started calling many times to talk to his mom like before over phone. I am not at all happy to go back. My husband also is not very bad , I feel he can be changed. Confused on what to do..

2. Brevity

Brevity Gold IL'ite

Your husband and his family does not respect you. He has said that he has lost his love for you. Assuming that he was loving towards you earlier and yet you and your parents put up with so many insults, imagine what you will have to face now.

Please live your life with self-respect. Do not allow anyone to make you feel less. Never stand and listen to anyone insulting you or your parents.

If you go back, do it on one condition - both of you must make an effort to bring back love and respect to your relationship. It is not just your responsibility alone. Go for marriage counseling.

Never ask your parents to gift you. If your husband or in-laws ask for gifts or money look them straight in their eyes and ask if they are demanding gifts. It sounds like dowry. Tell them with you head held high that my husband and I earn and contribute to OUR household. I don't need to take 'gifts' from my aging retired parents. And you should gift your parents on occasions or without occasions. Treat them well.

Give your marriage some time to heal from past incidents. Forgive them if they make amends. If even some sort of effort is not seen from your husband's side even after some time it could be time to pack your bags.

Do not be scared if they throw divorce threat around. Make it clear that you want your child to benefit from a helthy respectful family environment. Not an abusive one. So you are not scared of his threats. Tell him to file if that is the only solution for him.

Be strong. He might come around. If notm don't waste your energy.

neel2244, dia3, Mythi19 and 1 other person like this.