1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My Grandpa’s Ghostly Adventure

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by teenulahari, Jun 20, 2017.

1. teenulahari

teenulahari Gold IL'ite

Hiii I’lites!!!

I am Lahari, I am new to this forum. This is my first post. I am not that good in writing but I really want to write and need your cheers. I love spending time with my grandpa and he is my HERO. I have grown up listening to his stories which are mostly his real life incidents. Today I want to share one of these stories told my grandpa with u all.

My Grandpa worked as an Engineer in Indian railways. The period of this incident is late 1940’s and my grandpa was around 22 year old then. I am not clear about his designation that’s why I am not mentioning it. My grandpa’s job involved lots of travelling and once he went on camp to Pakala (a place in Chittoor, A.P). He had to stay there for one week and so he was given quarters there. My grandpa’s colleague RajGopal had also come with him and they used to do shift duties (When one went to work the other had rest and used to cook food)

My grandpa’s place of work was five kilometers away from his quarters. One Saturday afternoon around 12:00 PM, after finishing his work my grandpa was returning to his quarters. As my grandpa was a bit of adventurous type and always curious to venture where most fear to tread, he took the other route that goes through a forest to reach his quarters (This route was used mostly by villagers who often come there for hunting). As he was in his middle of the forest he suddenly felt like someone following him. He turned back and found none, he looked around but no one was there. Although the forest was small it was dense and nearly looked like a horror movie setup.

He started walking but after sometime, he again felt like someone’s walking behind him and the rustling due to walking on the dry leaves was very clear. It was like someone’s moving very close to him; he again turned back and found none. This time my grandpa stood their looked around, (He didn’t fear, he waited there with the shoe in his hand…that’s my HERO) he waited there for around 10 minutes to see who it was but there was no one. He walked fast and reached his quarters. As soon as he reached the quarters the sound of the footsteps stopped.

Rajgopal came out and gave a puzzled look, he was starring at the gate behind my grandpa . My Grandpa asked him what happened he said nothing. He told him that the lunch will be prepared in another 15 minutes and so my grandpa sat on a rocking chair under a huge banyan tree and was humming a Tyagaraja Keerthana.

Rajgopal came after few minutes to call him for lunch. This time he was simply starring at the empty chair beside my grandpa’s. My grandpa asked him what happened he said nothing but there was a bewildered look on his face. He took my grandpa to the kitchen and asked him,

(Here I am writing the conversation, Moorthy is my Grandpa)

RajGopal: Who’s that Lady sitting beside you?, why did you bring her here? Why is she sobbing? Do you know what will happen if Vaini (Sister-In-Law) comes to know all these things? ”.

Moorthy: I didn’t bring any Lady, It must be your Imagination.

RajGopal: No, I saw her she was right beside you and was talking with you and you were also talking with her

Moorthy: What! I wasn’t, I was just humming a Tyagaraja Kriti

RajGopal: So, you have started lying. I shall go and ask her

Moorthy: Ok, Let’s go

They both went near the banyan tree but found none. Rajgopal went all around the quarters to search for the lady but there was no trace of any lady. Later, on Monday my grandpa enquired a local villager about the forest and found that “once there was a murder of a lady happened in the forest and the ghost of the lady still lurks in the forest.”

How’s it??

The funny thing is my grandpa for all the days he was in Pakala took the same route to meet the ghost but he couldn’t find it.

Thank U!!

dc24, Mistt, sindmani and 5 others like this.

2. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

OP, awesome story and write-up. I couldn't look up or around once, your story just held me! I couldn't wait to find out how the story would end! Your grandpa is really a brave man! Really nice for a debut post:clap2::clap2:

teenulahari likes this.
  3. AhujaGirl

AhujaGirl Silver IL'ite

Oh My! Did your Grandpa actually go hunting for a ghost? Brave man I must say!

And yeah, awesome write-up, it kept me hooked until the end :)

Keep writing more... All the very best and Cheers! ;)

teenulahari likes this.
  4. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Dear Lahari,

Welcome to IL and to snippets. Absolutely loved your narration. It is not just interesting, but very simply written and with humour added to it at the end. It's always fascinating to hear ghost stories and I too wonder how I have never met one so far. Occasionally, when I am alone at home, I suddenly feel something move past the door between my room and the next. When I look up, there is nothing. Then I just tell myself I don't begrudge the ghost some moving space in my house. It must be a friendly but naughty ghost. It never troubles me except for the fact that I find my things moved to other locations and when I ask the BH, he absolutely denies having done it. So either he is lying to me, or he has forgotten what he has done, or he does things unconsciously or there is really a ghost in the house. :)

Loved reading your narrative and looking forward to a lot more.

teenulahari likes this.
  5. sindhugowtam

sindhugowtam Gold IL'ite

WOW! My Dear Friend.., Finally u started to write.., I m very happy for u.., Even Though i heard this story personally, i got thrilled while reading again.., I m looking forward to take a selfie with our brave grand Pa...,
    Cheers to ur first Post...,:cheer:

I m looking forward to read more stories of him..,
    Note: Readers STAY TUNED..., Bcoz this is just a sample part of her grandpa stories..., There are lot more to read...,

teenulahari likes this.
  6. teenulahari

teenulahari Gold IL'ite

Hiiii!

Thank U all, I am so….happy!! sorry for the late reply I was busy with my office work ( some urgent work)..

Thank u Naari, Ahuja, Satchitananda and Sindhu (My best friend). U people really liked my story??
    Thanks for ur cheers..Dear Ahuja, yes my grandpa really went to see the ghost..he has many similar experiences.
    Dear Satchitananda, I too have similar experiences, one evening it was raining and I was alone in the room and the power went off and suddenly I saw a figure..I was frightened. I started saying Sree Anjaneyam.. Prasannanjaneeyam and went near to it and found it to be a TOWEL.

7. AhujaGirl

AhujaGirl Silver IL'ite

I really liked your story :)

And, we all would love to hear (rather read) more such stories...

teenulahari likes this.
  8. teenulahari

teenulahari Gold IL'ite

thank u AhujaGirl!!
    u people are so encouraging. I surely write some more stories.

AhujaGirl likes this.
  9. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear lahari,
    Welcome to IL and your very first post in snippets is quite interesting.

I have seen ghost story movies, but your grandpa's ghostly adventure is quite interesting to read.
    All grandpas and grandmas have lots of interesting stories to tell and sharing it with others really makes us feel harpy.
    Keep writing,
    PS

10. teenulahari

teenulahari Gold IL'ite

Thank you PuspavalliSrinivasan for your feedback, it's so encouraging for me...