1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My child is homesick.................& I am depressed

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by Vrindavipul, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Vrindavipul

Vrindavipul Bronze IL'ite

Dear Ils

Recently I came back after spending one and half months vacation in India. My child who is 7 years old has started missing his cousins and granny a lot. He is not attending his school and whenever I sent him to school he complained of some physical discomfort. I found him crying alone and he is not happy at all. Even he is not enjoying the activities which he used to and avoiding his friends. I am treating him affectionately but not working. I did everything required to make him understand. Now me, myself has started feeling a discomfort and depression. Please suggest me how to come out of this quicksand.

Vrinda

2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

vrinda, don't go that way!! You need to help your son come out. I know you said you have tried various things - hopefully he will get out of it soon. Meanwhile try and find out exactly what is it he is missing - I know sounds lame as I type it but still, is it the constant company, constant pamepering, food etc. Try and provide him the same. He seems like a sensitive child. While we want to provide our children what they like best, in reality it is not easy to simulate emotional happiness - he has to understand it and it will take time. Meanwhile, have some friend with families over, play dates, celebrate festivals, if there is a temple go, you involve yourself with his activities, his freinds etc.....I hope really other ILs will pour in more suggestions for you.

3. Vrindavipul

Dear Srama

Thanks for the suggestion. Since I posted my problem I was eagely waiting for at least one response. While writing this I am crying...........being a mother I can not bear the pain of my child. Everytime I look for a smile on his face. I will do try the tips given by you. I think he is missing the constant company of his cousin sister. I never gave him that much time. So I will try to do that.

Thanks once again

Vrinda

4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Oh Vrinda, I am so sorry you are feeling so bad, but please be brave. As a mother I know how much it hurts you, but you know what it really is not too big a problem. Yes, please do spend more time with him, help him write letters to his cousin, take pictures with him telling him that you can send to her, call up and speak, talk about what he did with her and try and play those games with him - once he relates his happiness to the activities and not to the place and people, he will be just fine (ofocurse all this will not happen as a visible thing...but subconscious one!!). Once he starts showing interest, he will come out of it. They are kids, they are resilient more often than not, it is us parents who suffer the most, so cheer up young lady....you have a task on hand. Keep us posted and :)

5. Vrindavipul

Dear Srama

Thanks a lot. I am overwhelmed. In this situation my child needs me.........but I also need somebody with whom I can share my problem. You really advised me (pl. don't mind) like my mom. Everytime I felt stuck somewhere my mom took me out. But this time I didn't want to bother her.

So thanks once again.

Love Vrinda

6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

ofcourse!!! I understand and i do take it as a compliment :thumbsup

7. Vrindavipul

Dear Srama

Thanks. I will give you fb ater 2-3 days.

Love

Vrinda