Ms In Us, Help Needed To Decide Which College.

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Rajisivaraj, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Rajisivaraj

Rajisivaraj Bronze IL'ite

Hi Friends

My brother is seeking help to decide which college to choose.
    Small intro about my brother :He joined in private company after his BE with the aim to do M.S abroad with his earnings. Ofcourse thats really not sufficient he is taking loans.Because of his hardwork he scored good scores in GRE & IELTS. And now he got offers from

1. University of Pennsylvania
    2.North Carolina state University
    3.Arizona state University
    4.University of southern California

Now he needs to know which college got good scopes. I donno anything about colleges here. So i am looking forward for your help.I know many of your family members and friends have done or doing higherstudies in US. Please suggest some opinions. It will be very helpful for him.

Thanks in advance.

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Are any of these places offering him financial aid? Living expenses will be higher at University of Southern California than the other places, if that is a concern.

Rajisivaraj likes this.
  3. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

Usually, I give this advice to my family-
    Go to the university which has a better support system appropriate for your brother's needs--

Support System---

1. Family/ Friends- If your brother is a family/ friends person and thrives well if he is around family and friends. Advice him to pick a university which is closer to your family or has more number of people from his state. EX- my cousin solely picked her university based on people from my city- coz her personality is to make a tons and tons of friends. Friends and family can basically help land a job after graduation. She did land a job before graduation.

2. Focus on Academics in his field- If he isnt a social butterfly and leaning more towards academics or landing a job in his field. I would suggest him to pick a university based on which is good in his field. Like my sister- she is not a social butterfly. Her sole focus was landing a job after graduation and she chose a university based on this criteria. She landed an internship and OPT before she graduated. My sis is a mech background and she could have got into mech schools closer to where I live. However landing a job in mech field in my state is very hard with less pay and cost of living is quite high. So she went to the university closer to where mech jobs are highly concentrated.

3. Focus on weather- Winter can be brutal in the US. Many people like my SIL couldn't handle winter although she got into a top notch school + she had GAship. After first winter she moved to a warmer place with no GAship. She was very upset at my husband for not considering weather as a negative thing when she was helped to pick the university. She too landed a job right after graduation.

4. Focus on University which will offer you scholarship/ GAship/ TA/RA- Not all universities give out these positions. If funding education is a bit difficult. I would go for a school which will support your education through these programs. Like me almost a decade ago, my sole focus was not to keep asking my parents for money. I did my Masters on GA. I too landed a job right after graduation.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    Rajisivaraj and momsky like this.
  4. momsky

momsky Gold IL'ite

5. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

1. University of Pennsylvania (private)
    Upenn is private Ivy league school, possibly, higher in tuition cost. Closer to east coast, good job opportunities for those who are qualified/flexible.

2. North Carolina state University (state)
    NC state fee could be less. Raleigh,NC - Research Triangle is popular among Indian crowd for jobs, kind of isolated/stuck? in that area.

3. Arizona state University (state) - could be cheaper than other schools? Not familiar with Arizona! Other than, it is a desert.

4. University of southern California (private), not a bad choice. West coast, endless small companies.

I would pick east coast or west coast for future opportunities!

Rajisivaraj and blindpup10 like this.
  6. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

All of these are very good universities. UPenn is an Ivy League school so it will be more expensive than others. However, all are big schools so he should be able to get an RA ship in second semester. If I were him, I would look for financial aid. It is okay to reach out to the graduate coordinator/director and ask if it is possible to get RA.
    All these places will have plenty of Indian students. Arizona state in Tucson will be comparatively cheaper to live in and is an excellent university.

Rajisivaraj likes this.
  7. boldnbutiful

boldnbutiful Silver IL'ite

Arizona is pretty good university and has good Indian community....but look which university is offering hin financial aid and part time job prospects all are worth considering....

Rajisivaraj likes this.
  8. Rajisivaraj

Thank you everyone for giving us valuable information.. Yes we did discuss.it has given a clear situation now. Now he seems to be interested in arizona University and upenn. He wanna take electrical engineering in those universities.

I am wondering if there are any alumni or undergoing M.S or friends of any who has completed courses in those two universities.. If yes please drop a message in private chat. We really feel like talking to them in person.

Thank you for wonderful support here I assured my bro that we will get solutions here and my ladies here made it happen.. Thank you all..

9. Rajisivaraj

What is an RA scholarship?? And yes he said he will try asking abt that through mail. But can you tell us a little in detail abt it dear..

10. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

RA - research assistance, financial aid. Some master program may have research assistance support.

momsky and Rajisivaraj like this.