Moving to UK next year. Need information on day care

Discussion in 'Indians in the UK' started by ptamil2007, Oct 12, 2007.

1. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

We are planning to move to UK next year by April. Our baby is due in Feb 2008.
    My husband is looking for jobs, so as such we havent decided on which part of UK we are going to be.
    He will be moving there first and once he has settled a house, me and the baby will be joining him.
    As a preliminary exercise, I am trying to find out the facilities available for the baby. I also will start working after 3 months of delivery.
    1. Are there Indian families run day care?
    2. If not, generally what are the costs for day care and how are the timings and conditions?
    3. Also we will be on a HSMP visa, so are the free medical benefits applicable like monthly checkups, vaccinations etc...

Any information on the above would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

2. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    UK is a good place.I stayed that for 9 mths and dint feel like moving out.I am a stay-at-home mom.Anyway i'll share my knowledge on the day-care.Sorry i dont know about pricing.The popular type is child-minder who r mothers and look after kids.They take them outings and the timing is 7-5.There r govt run and private day-cares.Govt run is affordable.Both r eaually good.
    Ther r NHS(national Health service) in every area which provides treatment free of cost.We stayed in london.There wednesdays they have baby clinic(vaccination,general check-up).Fridays for women.Its all free unless u r referred to hospitals for any further treatment.Pharmacies r good and give medicines for children and mothers free medicines.
    Hope this helps.

3. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Thanks Supriya for the information.

Since you mentioned that you have stayed in London, if its not of too much a problem, can u share the general household expenditure per month : 2 adults + an infant.

Basically, approx rent in metro and suburbs. Mainly I am looking for expenses per month for Indian groceries and our normal vegetables, milk curd etc....
    We are vegetarians, so that excludes fish, chicken etc...

4. Vini K

Vini K Bronze IL'ite

Hi ptamil,

We have been living in London for the last 2 yrs.Like you,we have one kid and we are also vegetarians:)rentwise,london is expensive than other places in England.The rent for a modest 2 bedroom apartment will be around £800(a little less or more) a month, the monthly expenses for one family will come to around £500 for groceries,electricity and gas etc will be another £500 per year.In suburbs,you can get a good sized town house(semi detached house as they call it here) for around £700 or so.You get furnished as well as unfurnished houses here,so you have to decide what you want.Buying things for your house will not cost too much.Ikea is a good store where things are quie reasonably priced.The white goods(kitchen stuff like gas range,washing machine and fridge)will be provided by the owner and if you don't find a fully furnished house,then you can buy your own sofas etc.You can buy second hand goods too.Flats to rent London, jobs in London, flatshare, free classified ads UK is a good place to look for second hand household stuff.You can also look for ads in daily newspapers for second hand goods.

As for daycare,since I am a stay at home mom,I cannot tell you much.But there are paid nurseries which will take care of your baby for anywhere between £40-50 a month.I used to send my daughter to a daycare cum nursery when she was 3,from 8 am to 1 am,three days a week.That particular nursery is in london, and it cost us £26 per day(for the half day session, and the full dy session was £42.But this nursery was for kids 18 months to 5 yrs.I am not sure about babies as young as 3 months old but there are facilities, and depending upon where you ultimately choose to live,you can logon to that particular council's website and find out information about daycare,childminders etc.

If you need any other info,I will be happy to share as far as I know.Goodluck.

5. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

It was nice to read your reply.
    Thank you very much Vini for the detailed explanation.

so how do you spend your time at home? probably busy with kid I guess :)

6. Vini K

Vini K Bronze IL'ite

Hi ptamil,

Sorry I could not reply earlier.Yes,my main timepass as ou would say,is my daughter.My entire day is spent around her.not much time to do other things except maybe chat for sometime with friends in the evenings.Winters here can be very depressing and it is always good if you have friends.

7. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Hi,

How are you doing? How was your diwali? I am currently working and will be going on maternity leave from Jan. We plan to move to UK by April so that by that time baby will be atleast 2 months old. I guess there are quite some Indian community as compared to here in Finland for us.

8. dhivya rangarajan

dhivya rangarajan Bronze IL'ite

also tel me someone in u.k...
    i am HR in LnT Construtions now...
    june 2007 passout , 6 months exp til date...
    if i move in june, wot r my career options? s der scope for asians in HR?