Moving to London from India - Location and School advice needed !!

Discussion in 'Indians in the UK' started by anujas, Jan 24, 2012.

1. anujas

anujas New IL'ite

Hello everyone,

I will be moving to London in 2 months and my husband would be working in Vintners Place.I have 2 little girls (6.5 yrs and 1 yr old) and I am looking for some advice on a good area to live in...a good school for my elder one and a decent locality.Can someone pls care to send their opinions !!

Thanks

2. tanoshii

tanoshii Platinum IL'ite

Hi Anujas,

I live in Essex (East of London) right now and my husband is working in central London, close to where yours would be working. The access to central London from the East part is good. Its more Indian to live in so we hardly miss home.

You could look for a house in places like East Ham (slightly cluttered), Upton Park, Barking - all having direct access to central London by a single train. Have good schools and good shopping and living facilities. Ilford, Gants Hill and Goodmayes are also good locations. There are many compact apartments (furnished and non-furnished) in all these places so its easy for people who come here on projects to rent.

If you need more help, you could visit the Indians in London Orkut community. There is quite some info over there.

3. sirisyam

sirisyam Silver IL'ite

hi anujas

tanoshii gave good info about places to live in london.

i would like to add something regarding the schools

after you start resideing in a location, better choose a good school in ur postcode area.

however as your daughter is 6.5 years, you will have to apply to ur local council.
    council will allocate seat in a school in the local catchment area based on certain criteria.

4. anujas

anujas New IL'ite

Thanks so much tanoshii and Siri !!!

Siri,
    I havent decided upon a place yet so I would be checking with the local council once I decide upon a place.I wanted to check that what is the school calendar year followed for primary schools in London(my daughter would join year 2 I believe) am I late for admissions ? when do we apply for new session ..or if you know of a website where I can go and read about it ..that wud b of great help .I would be moving by March end when my daughter completes grade 1 in India.