1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Move out or Stay in with inlaws

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by onemom, Jun 12, 2014.

1. onemom

onemom New IL'ite

Hello ladies,
    I am a mother of 4yrs old and i am pregnant now. Ours was a love marriage and my man is a real gentleman. my only problem is my inlaws. My FIL is a good manactualky. But in front of his wife he doesnt have any value, and he is a slave to her. Except my MIL , everyone at home is good at heart. But my mil is a very bad and cunning lady. She is very selfish to the core. seriously I dont see any motherhood in g0her. She tortures her own kids for her silly selfishness. I have a SIL. She is innocent. Though she is married, she is under full control of her mother.leave that apart, I will come to my problem.
    We are living in a house which my husband bought 2yrs before our marriage. only 1/4 of the loan isover and we are still paying out the loan. When my hubby got a job in thecity, my mil shifted with him and slowly entire family settled with him. I am a working woman and I have a flat of my own. Me n my hubby were staying in my house till my 1st kid was born. After that my inlwas forced us to stay with them in the house bought by my hubby. I really cried to my hubby not to move in with them as mil tortured me for each n everything. Though my hubby protected me every time, I was deeply hurt. Butmy hubby convinced me saying that his father suffered a lot with his wife, he didnt have any happiness, staying with the grandkid will make him happy. I too agreed this and moved in only cos of my FIL when my kid is just 45 days old.
    I want to mention that I am not egoistic but have self esteem, people say I am intelligent too. my mil couldnot accept my intelligence and wanted me as a slave to her. Though I wont fight argue with her, I ll make my stands clear through my husband. They have pension money. But wont spend a penny out of it. They sucked us for money. We dont mind itas long as they dont torture us. I clearly understood my mil n didnt want to go to job n leave my kid with them. But again she foreced me to join the job. But created all problems and I quit my job within a year thinking that they will move to their native. Cos thats what she keeps on saying that she wont take care of my kid and want to move to her house. I wanted to mention that it is my fil who takes care of the kid when I am away, she till date didnt do anything to my kid. In this family the fil is bahaving mother to his kids and grandkid. She is a monster, wont do any chores but thinks that she is the queen all are her slaves.
    But nothing happened so i joined a job again, and i am pregnant again and in maternity leave now, thesituation athome is
    1. We are cooking separetely for me , hubby n kid. It was not my decision, she said so. Now she wants to cook together but i am not agreeing. I dont want to cook with her anymore. This is me, i dont create any problem, but i cant forgive easily. In our indin culture, cooking separetely in a house is a very wrong thing. Buy my inlaws told so. Now i am not agreeing. I know if we cook together, she will create problems again,
    2.my husband is also very upset with his parents. He is a very caring man and does everything to make his parents happy. but he didnt expect that his parents wud treat him like this. Leave out me, they tortures him too.
    3. I dont talk to my inlaws at all. They are telling to my hubby to convince me to forget n speak with them. But they never apologised to me and I am sure even though I talk to them they will again speak ill about me,
    4. We did everything for my fil, but he never supported me. But just to convince his wife , he ill treated me many times. Though I understand he is not doing them from his heart, I couldnot accept this double standard. Will he murder me just to convince his cunning wife?

Some of my mils behaviors
    1. Once she packed all kitchen utensils and stuffed them under her cot. She was in a fight with her husband and said she is moving to her native.but she dint but left to her dd house with my fil. We were left with empty kitchen, my kid was 7 months old then. Then somehow we arranged the kitchen and instructed my hubby that his mom's utensils should not enter the kitchen again. She is still cooking with my utensils only.
    2. During a fight, she plucked/ killed all the plants i grew. I could not accept this cruelty.
    3. Her stand is that everything bought with my husband money before ourmarriage is hers. So weshould not touch the car, etc. During many fights, she would tell us not to sit on the sofa she bought. Thats the only thing which was boughtbefore our marriage. Everything else is bought by me. I forgived few times, but last time she asked my kid to get down from the sofa. He is just 3. I could notdigest, and till now I dont sit onthat sofa.i have a chair for me in the hall. During onerecent fight, she broke that chair. Imagine this iam pregnant and she broje the only chair I sit. So now I am terrified of her, she can do anything, she even kill me.
    We dont create any fights, all fights she will create for silly reasons, and torture us for 3 days and my husband has to plead withher to stop. All fights will end on me, though in 95% of the fights I am not the actual reason for the fight.
    Ok coming to the issue now, i dont want tostay with them anymore, after this delivery, i want them to kove out. Then can either go to the house i bought, or their native or to a rented house. We cant move to my house as my kids school is far from that house. Also i dobt want to move to a rented house when we own 2 houses. But it is very difficult to make my mil to move out of this house.she thinks it is her house. My concerns are
    1. My kid enjoys the company of the grandpa. And the grandpa enjoys the kids company. I geel guilty to separete them.
    2. My hubby scared of his fathers heakth. Though he is healthy now, if we are separeted,he cant stand his wifes tortures, and he will be dead in few yrs.my hubby really loves his father . Though I am angry with my fil, I too care for him.
    3. this one lady is ruining everyones lives. If there is no option I am ready to move in to a rented house and quit my job.

But 1st option ismoving them out. Please suggest how to handle.

2. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Move out. If you can't ask them to move...you move to your flat. Look for a school close by. Your fil is an enabler of her bad behavior ....don't feel guilty about leaving him. Keep checking on him every few days.

4 people like this.
  3. JustLikeYou

JustLikeYou Gold IL'ite

If i were you,
    1. I would move to my own flat and will find a school close to that house for my child. 2. Will never ever let my ILs step into my house.
    3. Your FIL married your MIL so he will be loyal to her more than to you, no surprise there.
    4. I wouldnt worry about him or separating him from his grandkids. If he is not capable of resolving the bad behaviours of his wife then that's his problem.

I would do this even if my husband is not supportive but in your case your husband seem to be understanding.
    I do feel sorry for your FIL plight but he doesnt want to help himself so no use in helping him.

2 people like this.
  4. sweetypi

sweetypi Platinum IL'ite

Move back to your own flat. Don't worry about FIL. He has lived with his wife long enough to know how to take care of himself against her. It is you and your children who are the most vulnerable. However, ensure that the assets your DH acquired before marriage remain under his name.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
    3 people like this.
  5. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

What an idiot! You should move out now and limit your child's exposure to this toxic couple. Your child might miss his grandpa but he will get over it. There is no need to feel guilty. Your child is your responsibility and priority. If I were you, I wouldn't want to let my child be in this dysfunctional environment.

Thank your stars for your wonderful husband; tell him you'd love for his dad to visit you often and move. Quick!

2 people like this.
  6. pantu

pantu Gold IL'ite

What a cruel women she is. Move out to your own flat. At least stay in peace there. When you will leave the house remind your MIL enjoy the house and the sofa. Tell her take the sofa with her to sit in the HELL. Don't worry about your FIL. He had already spent most of his life with the monster , he will be fine. Thank your hubby for his support.

1 person likes this.
  7. Denni

Denni Gold IL'ite

How did your FIL live with her for so long?. He must be a great man.

Move out dear...for your own sake. She isn't going to make your life any easier.

1 person likes this.
  8. onemom

onemom New IL'ite

Thank you all for your suggestions. Yes I thank god for giving me lovely hubby. Ideally my inlaws alsoshould thank god for a caring son. My hubby thinks as he is only son, it is his duty to take care of the parents and expects support from me. I understand him but I am not able to cope up with this kind of family. They will fight for 3 days twicein a month, she shouts all ill n bad words against everyone, main victim is me. Then after my husband's plead they will all move along as if nothing happened. You can hear all the shoutings from the road.she doesnt have any shame. But as I am a outsider, I could not forget easilyn move along. So I understood that in near future, I cant talk to them.
    I did a great mistake in my life by buying the flat next to my sils flat. Even my hubby doesnt want to move there as we faced lots of problems during our stay.my sil is not a problem, this lady created all probkems between us. As my sil is not tht matured, she gets influenced by her mother.my kid is in a very good school.there is no better school near my flat.that is not at all an option to move to my flat.

Is it wrong to separate my loving husband from his parents though he is also not happy with them? But i am concerned more about the kids growing up in this family situation.My hubby s health is also getting spoiled off late. They do see it, but dont care abt him. Even she said, ur wife didnt feed u well, thats y you are not feeling healthy. But it is all the stress makes his health spoiled.
    do we missout anything if we stay separately?

9. onemom

onemom New IL'ite

Yes. I too dont understand how my fil lived with her all these years. I asked this many times to my hubby, hisreply is he lived only for his kids and I should take care of my father somehow. But he also doesnt have an answer on how to stay put without hurting anyone

10. god2014

god2014 Gold IL'ite

Just go to your house why waste money in rented ones instead make vehicle arrangement for your kid if you're not willing to change his school. So worry not when your hubby is understandable. Let old people be alone. Don't pity on your fil, ask him to come to your house frequently. Tell your husband to pick him up and come to your house. He had got used to his wife. These many years together he spent what suddenly is going to happen to him, surely nothing. See you are not going to another country or world just a little far. Also happy moments ahead, congrats on your pregnancy. So if you worry wasting time arguing or fighting with mil it would harm the baby. It needs you to be peaceful for going well inside you, so better now than late never.

1 person likes this.