1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mother's Day Musings!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Srama, May 20, 2016.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

I know Mother's day is behind us. Why post about it now? Kids and even most adults have even forgotten that they have just celebrated that day and am sure are making their plans for the next eventful day whatever it is that we celebrate! But then I have been behind on so many things including the dishes, painting of that room, folding that laundry! Oh the list is endless. But I am still misty eyed looking at the things my DD made for me for Mother's day and DS' awkward hug!

Anyways, as I get busy wrapping up after helping the kids make a card for their moms, one of the kids casually asks me "So, what do you think you will get?". Preoccupied with cleaning up of the room, I casually say 'Oh nothing!" without thinking and without looking up. The class seems too quiet suddenly or so it seems and I look up to see an utter sense of disbelief on their little faces. Talk about kids hear everything! It then dawns on me that this day is really important to the kids and as much as I tout that it is as a Hallmark card day, I do realize that it has become tradition you know both for the kids and fathers, like Valentine day or Christmas with presents! I gather my wits and assure them that I was only joking and that I am truly happy to see that disbelief on their faces, it tells me that they did really care about making those cards and conclude with how much I enjoyed the silence even if for just a couple of minutes there. Smiles break out and they are back to the pandemonium they were creating earlier. I know I am loved as a mom and I don't need my kids to tell me that at all, no not even once not even on that special day. It is a given. Even if they did not express I would just like any other mom go about doing what I do. No question there! I go around my days with rose colored glasses and literally too. You should see the look on my face when I drive around especially during this early spring. The world looks just beautiful and perfect to me, the green green, the cows and horses, the little birdies chirping around. Perfect, just perfect!

Coming home, as I take the pup out for his walk. I cannot help but notice the worried look on that mom's face. I want to assure her that it is okay and that no harm will come to her babies. Every time I look, the mom sits still as if that would make her disappear into her surroundings and make her unnoticeable. All I do is smile and send a prayer up for the family. Then there are other days I simply tear up looking at them. I have seen another robin a few years ago lay a nest in the same vine and we felt blessed, filled with joy watching the birds from their nest building days to the babies flying away and the robins abandoning the nest finally! I look at the watchful mom again and assure her that I understand, truly! How can one not marvel about the Universe and mothers and the all pervading love - in all shapes forms and sizes. All of us know what it means to love and be loved! The truth is, that is one of those few things we can only feel and not understand. I try telling this to kids who are discussing God in the philosophy club. If I understand God, perhaps my next question might be but why is there a God? But it is refreshing to work with kids who have a lot of hows and whys and it is even more fun trying to solve with them. In the process I also hope I am teaching them just to enjoy at least sometimes without the questions! At least that was my intent in helping them do what they did for their mothers!

Scorpio707, bmaquarius, Amica and 5 others like this.

2. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Srama,
    An aesthetic piece in rememberance of mother's Day.Even for a single moment the child cannot think of mother not hugging or not giving gift or word of appreciation.The mother builds nest with so much care for the baby, but once the bird knows to fly it just leaves the nest ,goes away from its mother and starts building nest for the next generation.
    This goes on as unending cycle.
    Building nests with care, getting separated etc form a part of mother's life. a mother praying for her daughter and the daughter praying for the next generation -just like water which flows from a higher level to lower level-and the reverse can't happen.So is mother's love.
    Jayasala 42

Srama likes this.
  3. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

:lol: I hear you!

You're right, of course. But moms deserve a day — even if Hallmark benefits most from it.

Happy Mother's Day, @Srama! Today and every day. :)

Srama and kaniths like this.
  4. bmaquarius

bmaquarius Gold IL'ite

You have the best soul satisfying job I must add given your interaction with most trusting people on earth- children. I appreciate the way you've spoken of the life around you. We in associate mothers love with humans but looking around, we find nature has expressed it in abundance

Srama likes this.
  5. Scorpio707

Scorpio707 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Sabitha,

As always another wonderful post. It was a pleasure to read this one as well. A sneak peak into your life every now and then makes up for such a great read :):thumbsup: . Sorry for the delayed response, better late than never ;) .

kaniths and Srama like this.
  6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear JS Ma'm,

Thank you for such a sweet feedback and I am sorry about the delayed response. Was caught up with something else. Yes, it is around mother's day that I do get to see a different side in all the children and it is such a warm feeling all around us.

7. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Thank you Amica for your response and sorry about my delayed response. No no it is not all Mother's day celebrations. You spring calls for a lot of yard work and end of school year is always a busy time :)

Amica likes this.
  8. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Thank you @bmaquarius. I do love what I do even though some days end up in tears Yes it happens you know. Watching nature has always soothed me and I tried talking to my students about the birds and the nesting season etc. They enjoy while I talk and I only hope it will come back to them perhaps when they are older. My only hope/wish is to plant those seeds with care and love.

9. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear @Scorpio707,

just realized you had a number attached to your id!! Well, thank you for digging this post out. I should thank you if anything! Not to solicit but when I spoke of that Robin, I had shared a snippet years ago here describing in detail here Wonder and Joy! and was thinking of them. The birds are back, keeping us busy ....but now with the pup running around I can see how the momma bird feels more insecure. There are always nesting sparrows and they are as much fun too!

Scorpio707 likes this.