1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Money Matters And Owning A House

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by tulip07, Sep 7, 2016.

1. tulip07

tulip07 Bronze IL'ite

I am confused. Please help!

We are planning to buy a house abroad (where we live), and my husband insists on buying it only on his name. We both are working but since I have a temporary contract, I cannot buy a house in this country (as per the rules). I asked him to include my name as well in the house but he says if he does that, then we won't be able to buy another property here as the bank gives loan only for one property per person. So basically, he wants to buy this one on his name and in future when I have a permanent job, we can buy another one on my name.
    My question is, what if we decide (in future) not to buy another house, then I am left with nothing!

He has an NRE account in his hometown which is not joint and he sends almost all his money to the account. Whereas here : we have one joint account (with a savings account attached) and my personal account, so I transfer 3/4th of my salary every month to that joint account where we have our joint savings and he also transfers to savings after paying rent, utilities etc.

I asked him a number of times to include my name in his NRE in India but he says he will do after we have a baby. I don't understand what this means! I never based my decisions on our future baby. So this makes me mad.

Also since his parents (living in India) are dependent on him for everything, he says he is responsible for them and he knows I don't care about them and hence he is scared to put my name in his account. I don't really get all this. For me, we married each other and I will/can do anything for him and our kids but not his parents.
    (Its a different story how racist his parents are since I am a north indian and he is from south. The place where they are from is also male dominated and makes me very uncomfortable when I visit them.)

I don't feel like we are really together unless he shares everything with me. And everything means everything.

I am really confused why he is so insecure when it comes to his money n parents but expects me to trust him on everything!
    How does it work for you people? I really want to discuss this with someone and know how all this works or if this is normal?

KashmirFlower likes this.

2. beautifullife30

beautifullife30 Platinum IL'ite

I don't understand this part OP. You have mentioned clearly that you don't like his parents and won't do anything for them. And you still wonder why he is insecure.

kcb and vaidehi71 like this.
  3. tulip07

tulip07 Bronze IL'ite

I
    If someone doesn't like or accept me as I am, how can i like them?

So you get married to take care of ur in laws?

4. beautifullife30

I am not asking you to like them. I am just asking you to accept them as parents of your husband.

Like it or not, your husband is bound to take care of them. Since your views on them is quite clear, he is feeling insecure to share their expenses with you.

Outright opposition never works. If you need to be in control of things, you need a be a lot subtler.

kcb and vaidehi71 like this.
  5. beautifullife30

As long as my husband makes reasonable savings, I don't really mind not being included in his other accounts or how much he spends on his parents.

By reasonable I mean around 30%. My family runs on my income and husband's income goes to my in-laws for their treatment and other stuff. I don't differciate if the house is bought out of my savings or his or has his name or my name.

The basic level of trust is missing here.

Also I find his reasoning valid. Maybe you can buy a land or invest in other ways than just a house.

vaidehi71 and dc24 like this.
  6. tulip07

tulip07 Bronze IL'ite

Thanks. But I did not ask him to share the expenses he spends on them. And I did not tell him outright that I don't care for them, that's what he feels (and husbands always feel that unless you really do A LOT for his parents).

He has a huge saving in his NRE account. I was just looking for suggestions or may be experiences on how you guys share finances/properties.

7. tulip07

tulip07 Bronze IL'ite

Dear Beautifullife30, I think you did not really read my post. I transfer 75% of my income in our joint account and at the end of the year he transfers almost all his savings to his peronal NRE. So in this case, my savings are our savings saved in our joint account but his savings are his savings saved in his NRE.

And as far as taking care of in-laws is concerned, he doesn't speak to my Dad and only speaks to my Mom when she calls/asks for or messages him. I never made all this an issue, because I understand that the relationship between us is the most important since it was love marriage. We can never make our parents come on the same page. But this thing should apply to him as well. They are also his in-laws as his parents are mine. Why all the expectations are from a woman?

8. seekout

seekout Silver IL'ite

Hey Tulip,

I'm sorry to hear about this. When yours is a love marriage, he should be knowing you in and out even before your marriage so why does he feel the need to have a baby before including your name in the nominee?
    This doesn't feel right to me. Right now don't give importance to this topic as he will become more possessive about it. Just slowly reduce your savings in the joint account and instead save/invest in only your name and watch for his reaction. If he says anything just say,"This is how exactly i feel when you do this to me".

sslkgpaa and tulip07 like this.
  9. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

OP, Change your savings account to Individual account immediately. Not to do tit for tat but be safe. 3/4th of your income is for all expenses and savings is a big red flag. Can understand this if the Indian account had your name on it. Do not invest in a home if you are on fence. Your husband is having the cake and eating it too. He wants to a good son and not compromise his daily life. At what cost. At your cost.

First thing to do is change accounts. Expenses as to be shared according to income. Rest save in your name.If it comes to why, tell him he has to be transperant and then you can too.For right now you can put home buying on back burner. Tell him you want to wait until you get permanent job. Are you in US? If you are , I don't think your job makes a difference.

There is basic trust missing in your marriage. Don't worry it happens to best of marriages with early on factors like incessant in laws meddling and other factors. Each day we discover something about each other.( been there done that and still doing it).

Hold your head high and do some damage control. Sometimes its damage control which sets right the marriage. You never know.Tell firmly if you are spending on mortgage of the house, then it has to have your name on it.Otherwise pass on it.Good Luck.

10. tulip07

tulip07 Bronze IL'ite

Hey @seekout thanks for your suggestion. Its just a misbelief that one knows you in and out in love marriages. The reality comes out when you actually start living with each other. Also,he thought I would integrate in his family and start caring for them eventually but that did not happen because of my FIL's behavior as he is a very foul mouthed person who always say bad things about north Indians and thinks men are superior to women. Not only does he (my FIL) think so but also tells me everytime I am there.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016