1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Moments For Each Other - a book by Robert Strand :-) - Day 1

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by jayyu5, Nov 30, 2011.

1. jayyu5

jayyu5 Gold IL'ite

Hi Friends...

I happened to buy this book from a library for just 15rs...would you believe it...? Well its a small book..but the information in them are like ....WOW:thumbsup

So me planning to share this book topics...one by one each day...:)

I feel this book is extremely recommeneded for a happy married life

Day 1:

The First Valentine

The story of Valentine's Day begins in the third century with an oppressive Roman emperor and a humble Christian martyr. The emperor was Claudius II, the Christian was Valentinus.Claudius had ordered all Romans to worship 12 gods and he had also made it a crime punishable by death to associate with Christians or worship their God. Valentinus was dedicated to the ideals of Christ and not even the threat of death could keep him from practicing his beliefs. He was arrested and imprisoned.

During the last weeks of Valentinus' life a quite remarkable thing happened. The jailer, noting that Valentinus was a man of refinement and learning, asked if it would be possible for him to bring his daughter, Julia, for lessons, for teaching. Julia had been blind since birth and was a beautiful girl with a quick mind.Valentinus read to her stories of Rome's history...he described the world of nature to her... he taught her mathematics...and told her about Gd. She, for the first time, began to see the world through his eyes, trusted in his wisdomm, and found a special comfort in his quiet strength.

"Valentinus does God hear our prayers?" Julia asked one day.
    "Yes, my child, He hears each one," he replied
    "Do you know what I pray for every morning and every night?

I praythat I might be able to see. I want so much to see everything you've told me about."

"God does what is best for us if we will only believe in Him",
    Valentinus said.
    "ooh,Valentinus, I do believe," Julia said intensely. "I do!" She then knelt and grasped his hand. They sat quietly, she kneeling, he sitting, each praying. Suddenly there was a brilliant light in the prison cell! Radiant, Julia screamed, "Valentinus, I can see! I can see!"

On the ve of his death, Valentinus wrote a last note to Julia, urging her to continue her learning and encouraging her to stay close to God. He signed it..."From your Valentine"

His death sentence was carried out the next day, Feb 14, 270. He was buried at what is now the Church of Praxedes in Rome. Legend tells us that Julia herself planted a pink-blossomed almond tree near his grave. Today, the almond tree remains the symbol of abiding love and friendship. On the anniversary of his death, Feb 14, St.Valentine's Day, messages of affection, love and devotion are exchanged.

Today's Quote: They who love are but one step from heaven. --James Russell Lowell.

Today's Verse: and now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

Thats it...sorry for typo errors..read and enjoy:thumbsup

3 people like this.

2. Raindoll

Raindoll New IL'ite

Nice write up. Thanks ...:)

3. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

thanks for sharing the information:)

4. riyagan

riyagan Gold IL'ite

this thread might get moved as i see christian and christian related... or might not be..