1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Mom is traveling to US and don't know english; How to face immigration?

Discussion in 'Immigration Matters' started by uma321, Jan 23, 2014.

1. prettydevil

prettydevil Platinum IL'ite

Flash cards is very good idea ...

also... at Banglore airport...there will be many travelling... look for some students or anyone who is willing to help. Request them to look after your mom, especially during changing ports n all or fastening seat belts or ordering food/drinks.

wheel chair is a good option, but let me tell you my own experience.

I was at NJ airport, waiting to board flight to some place. There was an old women who didnt know english at all who was also going to board the same flight.

This lady was suppose to get wheel chair at NJ airport only to change the ports, but she didn't and someone helped her to get to this port, where even I was waiting to board the plane.

The flight had got cancelled... and there was no one even to tell her about it and she didnt even understand also. I communicated this to her and and explained her and then somehow got tickets via diff plane to that place. I requested wheel chair too... just for the fact that she was very old and the destination airport was pretty huge to walk for her. I think she barely understood this too.

In the flight we did not have seats together, but I could see her... she was seated some seats ahead of me. The air hostess offered her water/juice/tea... but she still didnt understand.... so the air hostess didnt even take the effort to ask her again or hand over a water bottle. By God's grace, to next row, there was an Indian guy... he then took everything from air hostess and handed over to her....

Later when the destination place arrived, I got down , and as mentioned by the air hostess I asked that old lady to wait in the flight only for wheel chair. Somehow I didnt feel good leaving her alone, so after getting down I waited there only for her. Few min after everyone got down, I saw this old lady too and without wheel chair. Then I didnt feel right, so almost had fight with the ppl there requesting for wheel chair, as it should have arrived on time.

Both of us then waited for around 20 min or so, but still no wheel chair. I went again and asked.. they said that wheel chair is on way... still 15 min passed by... no wheel chair... finally I somehow explained it to that lady and then walked her down to the baggage and waited till her son in law came.

That day I really felt very bad her and for everyone who are not able to communicate.

Another incident ... not trying to scare you... but just sharing...

my friend was coming from Hyderabad... I guess at NJ port... there was an old woman who had lots of jwellery and was taken by the officers in the room for questioning. They were constantly asking her about the jwellery in english and she was trying to tell them that all the jwellery was for her DIL and it was old and from mrg... but they didnt understand each other. and this went for few min.

I dont remember how... but my friend she saw this and requested hard to some officer outside to let her in that room for translation. Thank God they let her in somehow and then she was able to translate and then after that only they let that old woman go.

My mom n dad too when they were travelling for the first time...they weren't able to read well due to small letters on I94 form. A student was sitting to the next row and was kind enough to offer them help. And then he himself filled both the I94 forms for them. I still thank him in my heart for his help.

I really hope your mom's journey is smooth and safe. Just try to find someone at the airport only who can help.

Good Luck!

1 person likes this.
  2. uma321

uma321 Platinum IL'ite

Thanks ladies for your inputs.

Mom arrived home safely. She said, with wheelchair, anyone can travel internationally. We already printed the custom declaration form, filled with her information, and gave a copy to her before she boarded the flight. She copied the information from the duplicate form and didn't even have to get help from others.

On the way from Dubai to US, there was a tamil guy next to her and he guided her to operate the TV. Besides that she said she didn't need any help.

Overall, she got wheelchair all through the end. My husband was waiting outside the arrival gate and the wheelchair lady didn't let my mom leave outside without anyone. So, she called me to find out where we are. She was with my mom till the end and left only after my husband met my mom.

Overall, my mom had a smooth journey with no hiccups :thumbsup

Now I'm enjoying some yummy foods from mom and becoming lazy without doing any work at home.

Thanks so much again for your inputs. They were very helpful. :thumbsup

2 people like this.
  3. shrutimanjunath

shrutimanjunath Platinum IL'ite

Hey Uma,

Great to know this. I could not ask you about her travel all this while..
    I am really happy to know that you are enjoying and you' ve got only 22 days to go Yay!!!

1 person likes this.