1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mission Impossible

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by BeeAmma, Aug 14, 2009.

1. BeeAmma

BeeAmma Silver IL'ite

Keeping my house clean and organized is impossible. Don't get me wrong, I am not looking for glossy-magazine clean. Being able to walk over the carpet without having to dodge toys, clothes, envelopes and books will do just fine. It was challenging enough with a husband who thinks the floor to be an extension of the closet and desk. Now we are joined by a toddler who views the house as her toypen. As a result I am constantly scooping up toys, clothes, books and bills. The husband magnanimously volunteered to cook last night only to have me cleanup a mini hurricane in the kitchen after the event. By the way, the pizza turned out very well so 'thank you dear'.

Are the homes in these magazines and sites for real? Do real families live there and are they always as clean? Or are they like the airbrushed models--digitally remastered after heavy makeup aimed at pushing the rest of the population into self-hate. How do the people in these homes convince the rest of the family to keep the place tidy? Time for the media to do an exposee at real homes on an averge weekday just like the ones where they show stars and models without makeup. That is one show or site I am willing to frequent.

2. Paulina

Paulina Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hi Bee,

That was a candid outburst from the mother of a toddler ......thoroughly enjoyable.
    Let me hasten to assure you , I have been there and wondered about those spic 'n span homes amidst the glossies and longed for the kiddies to grow up overnight and make their own beds etc.,But today having become a grandma and the kids all flown away , I do long for those days when I had to dive under beds to retrieve the missing hair brush or a sock or two ! So once in a while pause and enjoy the confusion , for these messy surroundings will be gone for ever before you know it, taking with them the gurgles and giggles of innocent chilhood and infancy.Then you'll feel like trading an orderly home for a bit of disorder if only to relive those youthful days once more !

3. BeeAmma

BeeAmma Silver IL'ite

Thanks Paulina for the beautiful reply. Agree on enjoying the little one at every stage and marvelling at their tendencies :).

4. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Dear,
    Even withoutkids sometimes not all things are its place. If a home is like a picture then it will be difficult to live. You will find yourself doing nothing but cleaning & will have no time to stop and stare and enjoy.
    If you have a growing kid at home it is bit more difficult.Having a 31 yr old boy i have to do cleaning after he leaves home. There will be trail of clothes behind.
    We have an option cry and rave or just go with it, try the best and find something humorous abt the situation.
    Jaya

5. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Amma

What you have written every woman faces. Now only me and my husband are at home. My husband does not like me to touch his papers etc. So however he has kept it , it should be like that only. Otherwise he will say I have misplaced something. So I have to be careful while cleaning the table.

When my son was there he used to say you go and see in my friend's place it will be like that only. He used to say if the house is very clean, then it is not a house. Usually boys dont bother much .

Once upon a time I also used to keep the house clean, but now due to back pain I am not able to do so.

love
    viji

6. vase

vase Senior IL'ite

Dear Paulina M'am,

Your reply to BeeAmma is really really touching and it made me pause and have a re-look into my own self! My kids are grown up now (but still not in college yet...) .... yet sometimes I feel that it would be great if they are 'kids' forever.....

Hi BeeAmma, I sure can understand what you are going thru... but it's just for some more years....

Cheers!

7. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

Hi BeeAmma

Even I have wondered if those houses in the magazines are for real or not..
    A little bit of disorder gives life and colour and warmth to the house. Else it is tooo cold and unwelcoming. There are people who spend pretty much most of their time and energy just cleaning up and cleaning up and cleaning up..... My ex-boss is a good example. I am not sure how she manages to do that and still have the energy to do rest of the work and deal with three children.

8. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

BA Dear totally understood with kids at home, dreaming of those picture perfect houses is not so possible..atleast till the kid is of certain age...(i think at diff. ages they define their kingdom..so until they are 3 or 4 yrs old whole house is their kingdom)

my worst nightmare is not to topple or tumble over the toys and fall down and break my back....these days i get to see small parts of the toy cars in my rice bag and in the kitchen cupboards with spoons and laddles..and other day i saw spiderman with his bike in the pooja room :)

so cant say enough...enjoy and forget about those picture perfect stuff for few yrs...there is always time for it

9. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

BeeAmma,

The best show to watch is the "Clean House" which is being telecast on Style network.
    If you see those homes..you would be satisfied, that ours is better..

I too emphasised to be the house clean..but now I am accepting the fact, that we cannot change the house or the people in it..to keep it clean..

sriniketan

10. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

dear BeeAmma,

HAHA.You hit the nail on the head.Every house is untidy and dirty.You see my office u will wonder, full of files and [piles of paper, home is ok with maids keeping it clean, but still not spick and span as seen in the magazines.

And the difference in the hotel and the home is this only.Good blog and so true.

Regards

kamal