1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mission Impossible

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sreesakthivel, Jun 28, 2012.

1. sreesakthivel

sreesakthivel Senior IL'ite

It all started with my neighbour (Ex-Army Major) planned to attend his friend's wedding in Delhi. After so many rounds of discussion it turned out to be a family [Ex-Army major, his wife, their son 18 months old, my hubby and myself] trip.

We geared up our wheels and headed towards Delhi [in Flight] on a february wednesday afternoon in 2011. Reached Delhi around 5p.m, did some shopping and boarded the train to Jammu.

Thursday morning We woke up in Jammu station, did some brushing and had our breakfast [Poori with chole] @ the famous 'pailvan' restaurant. Then took army jeep to Katra, refreshed ourselves and took horse. On the way we enjoyed the scenaries, had some snacks and reached the temple by 7p.m. Had good darshan of 'Ma Vaishno Devi' and on our heels reached back to our hotel around 3a.m

Friday morning 5a.m boarded bus to Pathankot and we were dropped in the bye-pass road. As per our actual plan we were behind the schedule and we thougt we will not be able to make it.:drowning..Luckily or by God's grace my hubby noticed a private cab driver dropping his customer. Immediately we heired his cab, reached Amritsar. Had good punjabi lunch, headed to Wagah border. We charged ourselves with Indian patriotic songs, march and the flag formalities. And we spent the cool evening in Amritsar golden temple. Did shopping of Walnuts, almonds, hing, pappad, pan..For the dinner enjoyed 'sarson ka saag' with yummy butter rotis and boarded the train to Haridwar.

Saturday morning we were in a hotel just opposite to River Ganga. Took a cab to Rishikesh, had holy dip in 'Lakshman jhola', visited few temples in and around Rishikesh. In the evening had 'Ma Ganga Aarthi' darshan and boarded the train on sunday early morning 12a.m

Sunday 5a.m we were in Delhi to attend the wedding!!! :thumbsup

4 people like this.

2. dakshayaeni

dakshayaeni Silver IL'ite

Can understand your excitement dear...good that you all enjoyed!

3. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Hi Sreeshaktivel, a very memorable trip indeed, I am sure. It was a very long time ago that I travelled with my parents to Jammu and Srinigar. I can never forget the journey. On the way from Delhi to Jammu, the train stopped at Pathankot station. We had already finished our dinner. At the station there was someone selling masala dosas. Dad and myself immediately jumped up, went and had one each to the utter disgust of mom who thought we were being hogs eating so soon after dinner. The scenery in the morning before the train reached Jammu was absolutely beautiful with fields and flowers on both sides.

The trip from Jammu to Srinagar by road was really scary what with the hair pin bends, narrow roads, bus drivers shouting out profanities at each other (which to my 14 year old ears sounded very exciting!!!!!). A few days at Srinagar (where we got off at 6degrees with bitter winds blowing), sight seeing trips to Gulmarg, Pahalgam and then back were very memorable. All along the drive the song "Mere naina saavan bhaadon" was playing in the bus. :-D