Missing The Food In India..

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by anika987, Dec 19, 2019.

1. SpringB

SpringB Platinum IL'ite

Samosa pakoras tikkis pani puri vada sambar who wouldn’t love it on a cold wintry night. When I am in India I enjoy the authentic taste and when I am outside the country I enjoy the opportunity it gives me to try & taste multi-cuisine from around the globe. In today’s world making all those mouth watering snack varieties at home is no big deal right? Make them enjoy them during Winter holidays !

Thyagarajan, anika987 and Sunshine04 like this.
  2. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Oh..dear. Don't curb that enthusiasm to vent. Crave is good.
    Someday soon our OP could compile a large book of it all. Like War&Peace.

Someone may invent a "Replicator" like they showed on StarTrek. It looked like a microwave oven installed on a wall. A crew member would walk up to it, and order whatever; within a few seconds, after a few whirrs, and bleeeps, the door will open, and voila that whatever the heart/tastebuds desired would be there on a plate/bowl. Never saw any character order pani puri. But, it is certainly not out of the realm of possibilities. In StarTrek-II, the replicator was just a table top. Like this:

I like the comparative lament threads of anika987 ; very thought provoking. Could make one introspect and wonder if there is a problem with the self for not missing so much one ought to.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I do miss the food in India, but I just savor every moment while I visit and then file it away for next time. It's certainly not something that would give me angst about wanting to return. Each unfortunate Priyanka Reddy incident just makes me more glad that I am fortunate enough to live here.

4. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

True, we are getting almost all indian vegetables, fruits here but the taste doesn't as how those vegetables and fruits in India and especially I have been missing the taste of custard apple, sapota, goose berry and malabar plum.:yum:

Thyagarajan and anika987 like this.
  5. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

Grass is always greener on the other side.

Thyagarajan and anika987 like this.
  6. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I found the frozen amla in the Indian store tastes pretty decent in pickle.

7. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

Malstrom, taste of frozen Amla is okay and I like Amla pickle which available in Indian store but as you know, nothing beats the flavor of fresh fruits.

anika987 and MalStrom like this.
  8. virtualkv2020

virtualkv2020 Platinum IL'ite

This thread is making me home sick :( I miss jasmine. The round variety and other varieties like sanna jaaji and vira jaaji.

Thyagarajan, anika987 and Rihana like this.
  9. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Anika, I was going to quote couple of other posts but then it'd look like we are talking about you in the third person in your own thread. : ) So, quoting yours and here goes:

Like KavithaUS said in this post, you have a knack for writing posts that effortlessly draw responses and thread multiplies in pages just like that. You rarely or never IIRC get into a heated exchange over any responses. Others will get worked up, while you just move past those back and forth's. Used to make me smile to see in the Latest Replies as you jump from hot thread to Big Boss thread or good looking heroes thread. I think you start the threads when the thought comes to your mind, but apart from the usual 'wish I had', it is not something that is making you deeply sad at a level of unable to function or causing permanent change to disposition. I love the threads you start, the ease of narration in the first post, and the responses that pour in. Such as in the 'million dollar a year salary.' thread.

I was reminded of your recent threads when reading these last night:
    As a Mom, I Will Always Need to Be Needed
    When a New Car Feels Like the End of Your Old Life
    I Miss the Way We Were, Even Though Having My Kids Fly Was Always the Goal

Keep the threads coming ... Only you can do it the way you do it. IL was super slow past few days, I tried with this parent pranks thread, even after a kind CPR from amulet, it didn't go beyond 3 posts (2 by me!). LOL. : )

OK done, back to regular programming in next post. : )

10. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I am tired of listening to which all restaurants are now doing home delivery in my home town. Don't know why but this winter, I am missing things like never before. I made podi for gutti vankaya (stuffed brinjal) from scratch. Cooled the spices and crushed some between my fingers to smell. Smelled again. Whole kitchen has the smell, but I thought the spices are not right. Mood just switched off, told DH to grind it, cool it again and put it away. though usually I do it myself so it remains a bit coarse.

Oh well.. it will pass.

I miss the maruvam (Marjorum?) leaves .....

Ok I am out of here.. the heart can handle only so much nostalgia on a day.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019