1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Milk shake recipes for toddlers

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by writeme, Feb 7, 2012.

1. kavitha12345

kavitha12345 New IL'ite

hi friends,
    can anyone share appam receipe.

2. reena2012

reena2012 Junior IL'ite

My baby like a banana and strawberry smoothie. Just blend 1 banana, 2 strawberries (peeled) and some milk. No sugar needed.

You can also add orange section to this. It is delicious.

You can get some good recipe wholesomebabyfood.com

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  3. writeme

writeme Silver IL'ite

@kavitha..

This is the detailed recipe for kerala appam.

for appam..

ingredients

idli rice - 2 cups
    cooked rice / soaked thin poha- 1 handfull
    shredded coconut - half a coconut
    yeast - 2 pinches
    salt & sugar for taste
    water

soak raw rice for 6-8 hours. grind it well. add shredded coconut to it and grind. then add cooked white rice/soaked poha and grind. cooked rice/poha makes the appam soft. make sure the batter wont become too watery. let it have the consistency of idli batter. then take 2-3 spoons(very less water) of WARM water and add 2 pinches/ 1/4 tsp of yeast. u can see bubbles forming when the yeast dissolves in water. if the water is too hot or cold, this may not happen.. so make sure its just WARM. once dissolved fully, add this yeast to rice batter, stir WELL so that yeast is mixed well with batter. Keep aside few hours for fermenting. Once ready, the batter would rise and will smell sour.

Now add salt and few spoons of sugar to the fermented batter. Taste a bit and see if both are proportional. If you need more salt or sugar, add appropriately and stir the batter well. If the batter is too thick, you can make it loose by adding some HOT water. Hot water also makes the appams soft, but add it only if the batter is too thick.

Keep the appam kadai in medium flame for few minutes. Once its hot enough, pour one big spoon of batter to it (one and a half dosa). Hold both the handles of the kadai, rotate the kadai so that the batter is spread in the shape of the appams. Also, if u see bubbles/small pores on ur appams, it means, the batter is fermented enough and the appams will be soft.

If you dont have the appam kadai or appachhatti, make appams like thick dosa in a dosa pan. Adding sugar is optional, according to your tastebuds. you may find appam flour also in supermarkets; the instructions will be available on the packet.

Adding a picture of appachatti. images.jpg

1 person likes this.
  4. pursuit247

pursuit247 New IL'ite

Dear ILites.

My son loves the veggie soups-- just steam the veggies in the cooker(any that you like) and then grind them. heat adding a little water and then add salt and ground pepper just a sprinkle. you may add milk before you serve for some soups.

Also my son who is just over one year loves the ragi,oats, leftover dosa batter or rice flour and wheat flour dosa that i make. The recipe is as follows:
    Sieve the ragi powder (available in market) to get the fine powder.
    Next take oats and dry roast it in a pan. Dont let it brown, just stir a few minutes. Cool and grind to powder.
    Now take one cup ragi, 1/2 cup oats, 2 cups dosa batter or rice flour, and 1 cups wheat flour and mix it adding enough water to make a dosa like batter. add salt to taste.
    heat the tava, put the dosa and put very little oil. cover the dosa to cook. turn it over and cook the other side. take it in a plate and serve with sugar/jaggery with ghee.

another addition you can make is add jeera powder and tomato slices to the batter. that tastes yummy too!!

hope this helps.

let me know.

regards,

pursuit247

1 person likes this.
  5. ramyastar1

ramyastar1 Junior IL'ite

Wow .. these Recipes are really good

My toddler Girl is a Picky Eater too.. I would really love to try these for her.. Thank u all for Recipes

6. Ishika84

Ishika84 Silver IL'ite

My son like avacado shake, mango shake & banana shake...
    Take equal quantity of milk and fruit add 1 tea spoon sugar/honey and blend it

7. pamchoos

pamchoos New IL'ite

my son doesnt eat fruits... i have tried shakes too but he doesnt want to drink... what to do?
    he only eeats bananas and raisins...

8. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

pamchoos my son was exactly like yours...
    Me and hubby then decided we will make him eat every fruit that we eat.
    So everyday whenever we ate a fruit we gave him the same...intially he puked...he cried...but in a month or so he started eating them.Now i can proudly say he atleast tries all the fruits...even now he hates tasting few fruits like grapes...it might take time but works for sure. :)

1 person likes this.
  9. neetamenon

neetamenon Bronze IL'ite

Smash banana into milk and serve this drink to your toddler.

10. ramyastar1

ramyastar1 Junior IL'ite

Thanks Ladies for wonderful soups and Milk Shakes recipes!! My toddler is a Picky Eater Too and these recipes will surely help me to plan her nutritious diet ! Thanks Again :)

1 person likes this.