1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mil Wants To Keep My Gold At Her Place

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by nakshatra1, Jul 25, 2017.

1. nakshatra1

nakshatra1 Platinum IL'ite

I'm newly married and MIL is insisting to keep my gold at her place.
    Me and my husband are currently in a different city. and I don't feel comfortable to keep my gold at her house.
    As per her, whenever I visit them, I should be wearing considerable amount of gold in-case we decide to visit any of her relatives, since I am newly married. While that reasoning may be correct on her part,I am simply not comfortable leaving my gold at anyone's house.

I do not want to take any risks with my gold.It's the only property I have.My husband doesn't have a single saving since he has been supporting the entire family.Nor do we have any property. My gold is all that I have and I don't want to take any risk. My husband is personally not interested in this, but due to pressure from his mom, he asks me from time to time and it creates awkwardness at home.I am visiting inlaw's place next month and my MIL will be disappointed to know I did not get my gold.

EDIT:-Currently, it's in my locker. However, we live in a different city.
    She wants my gold to be with her, at her city. Currently, she wants to keep it at her house, but if I insist on locker she will eventually agree. But it will be a joint locker with her, at her city. And I do not want to have any joint locker with her. Maybe I am a bad DIL , but I really don't want to give my MIL access to my gold. It's the only property we have and I am very possessive about it.Moreover because, she has given me some reasons in the past to not trust her completely.

Please suggest me what to do.I really want to avoid this, without sounding rude or distrustful.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    oliswell, zeppelingirl and Sandycandy like this.

2. sumzaya

sumzaya Gold IL'ite

Secure it in bank locker ... Thts more safe.. n inform MIL tht u ppl are soo concerned as any thief might attack her for gold..., :)

3. nakshatra1

nakshatra1 Platinum IL'ite

Currently, it's in my locker. However, we live in a different city.
    She wants my gold to be with her. Currently, she wants to keep it at her house, but if I insist on locker she will eventually agree. But it will be a joint locker with her, at her city. And I do not want to have any joint locker with her. Maybe I am a bad DIL , but I really don't want to give my MIL access to my gold. It's the only property we have and I am very possessive about it.

4. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

I can understand, I have heard of stories from some friends about their mil keeping the jewelleries. Some has turned out ok, but in some cases, they never saw it again. Because whenever a need araised, it's the dil's jewelleries that was touched first.

It is your safety n you need to safe guard it. If she can lie to her own son to get more money, then it feels like she's not a safe option.

If you really do use the jewelleries at your in laws place 'only', then get a bank locker around their area and safe keep the jewelleries there. It's worked for me too. Or get a bank near your area.

That way, it's kept in a safe place rather than anyone's house and safe from any burglar claim or sold or pawned during any family 'emergency' that they may claim.

5. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Don't encourage discussion. State somewhat vaguely that you don't like wearing much gold and "I don't see a point to ferrying MY gold here and there.<change topic> I'm making myself some tea. Would you like some?"

And leave it in a locker at your mum's. Any further questions, say, "MY unworn gold is safe in MY locker. Why is this such a big issue when I don't want to wear it?"

Don't give explanations or details or excuses. Just say I don't like to wear much gold. I don't feel safe ferrying it around. I don't like it being in the house unguarded. I am fiercely protective of my space and this that I don't feel comfortable even to leave a pencil in someone else's care. Counter it at every turn. You don't have to feel or make it awkward or apologetic. Just look bemused like you don't see why it is such a big deal and refuse to budge.

All nonsense about prestige should be laughed off as old fashioned and that you don't subscribe to those 1950s thoughts

A decade and a half and mines still at my mum's. Stay mild but firm.

6. IniyaaSri

IniyaaSri IL Hall of Fame

@nakshatra1

Try whether it is possible to open a safety locker on your name in the city you live. Try it before you go to your MIL's place. She says she wants you to bring the jewels so that you can wear to the relatives house right? Tell her you will bring few jewels while you come and take back while you go. According to me its not that dangerous to travel with jewels in your bag. Unless and until you never let anyone to know about that. And safeguarding jewel during travel should be primary thing.

But parallely try opening an account in the city you live. If still she insist you to keep it in her place, tell her that you would wear it often. May be a Friday pooja? or any small occasions or tell her you love wearing gold for small occasions like birthday parties, weddings and such stuff. So you cant come and take the jewels every time. Give it as a reason. Show yourself as one who will often wear jewels for all small or big occasions.(since you don't want to sound rude).

If you want, you can wear light/thin jewels to any occasions and click pics so that she will believe. After one or two occasions you can skip wearing gold if you don't want and gradually she might forget. Even if she asks, you can tell her I wear at times and show her the pic.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  7. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

You are not a bad DIL, so stop feeling guilty. It's your gold and your choice . Doesn't help that your MIL hasn't been truthful before. Don't have a locker in the city that your IL's live, your husband or MIL will eventually pressurize you into letting your MIL have access into the locker. Like others mentioned just tell the husband and MIL that you don't like wearing too much gold and you want access to your jewelry by having a locker in the city where you live . Tell MIL that you have a heart of gold and that should be enough to show off when you visit her friends or family !

8. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

You have all the rights to be possessive about your property. Also you have the rights to protect it as well.

You are not a bad dil, you are just a normal person.

Joint locker - no good.

How long can she keep asking? Maybe a year? Or two? Anyway you live in a different city. She n your dh has to get tired of it at some time.

Convey to your dh that you are severely protective about it and keeping it at home is not safe. Just stay strong till then, give excuses, divert the topic n jus keep buyin time.

At some point, she may get the point. Even if not, jus continue your excuses. Don't make it look like it's even a issue. Don't give any importance.

yellowmango and nakshatra1 like this.
  9. teejay

teejay Gold IL'ite

op,

Keep the gold in locker in your name. My gold was with my MIL after my marriage and it stayed there for over 3 years. I was naive then and did not think much about it. but she pawned some of it with out asking me and took a loan of 3 lakhs. Needless to say I was super pissed. I live outside India.so the very next time i traveled to India, i took my gold out and kept in my name. It did strain the relationship a bit and my sis in law was not happy that I hurt her mom. Hubby kept his silence and took a neutral stand.. The gold which she pawned is still with her though..This is per Dh's request.He wanted some gold to remain with her just in case there is an emergency. I am confident that I can get that gold back if and when i need it.SoI let it be. But from my experience, I would advise you to keep the gold with you to avoid problems in future

IniyaaSri, nakshatra1 and Sandycandy like this.
  10. VaniVyas

VaniVyas Platinum IL'ite

This is just the beginning... :facepalm:

Sunshine04 likes this.