1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Method of preparing bias strips

Discussion in 'Sewing & Stitching' started by artvani, Aug 5, 2011.

1. artvani

artvani Platinum IL'ite

Bias strips are very essential for sewing. It is also called cross piece.It is used for curved edge as well as straight edge finishes. Fabric tubes are prepared from bias strips and used for decorating neck and sleeve edges.
    Method of preparing Bias strips .
    Fold fabric on bias along the line G-H as shown in the figure 1. To get true bias strips fold line should be at 45° to the grain lines .(selvedges}Mark lines at equidistance and parallel to the fold .The distance between the lines depends upon the width of the bias tape needed. Cut along the lines A-B, C-D, E-F and the fold line G-H. It is always advisable to prepare true bias strips as it stretches well. Sew them together using ½” seam. To secure the stitching one more line of stitching is done above the previous line. Open the seam and press. Figure 2 and 3 show the method of joining the bias strips
    13.JPG 2.jpg 8.jpg

1 person likes this.

2. kssuma14

kssuma14 Bronze IL'ite

Thanks for sharing.... New learning for me

3. Bheemireddy

Bheemireddy Gold IL'ite

Thank you very much vani.
    Before reading this I used to cut straight strips and attach together.
    Now I cam to know how to do it.
    Thanks alot

4. outofthebox

outofthebox Platinum IL'ite

hi vani, thanks for your post on how to make bias strips....i had posted separately abt cross piece method for sewing on to necklines, armholes.....i wanted to know how to stitch these crosspieces for neat finishing of armholes......am not sure in which post i had asked this query...but anyway, if possible, can u show using some pictures on how to stitch these bias strips for stitching onto armholes/necklines ? just by instruction i am finding difficult to follow, hence need some illustrations ! really looking forward to your help ! thanks in advance...

5. anvita

anvita Gold IL'ite

Hello vaani
    this is good idea !!
    vani can you please help me to stitch dual side dress for children. that is both side you can put the dress i am confused can you please send the draft?and the idea?

6. sritas

sritas Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Another very useful method you have shared with us, Vani............very lucid and clear method of cutting and joining cloth for piping.
    Regards

7. outofthebox

Hi Vani !
    I am really desperately trying for links on the net on how to give a neat finish to sleeveless armholes, necklines...

I found this one on net.....pls let me know if this is anywhere close...and it would be really great, if even you could prepare some video tutorial or picture to explain the same with your own tips !

Applying Bias Tape on Arm and Neck Holes « Make it Modern

8. artvani

artvani Platinum IL'ite

I will teach you an other method of finishing neck and arm hole.Give me some time.You try both and decide which is easier and also gives better finish.

9. outofthebox

Hi Vani, I hope the above post was addressed to my query on how to give a neat finish for neckline and armholes? If so, I am eagerly waiting for your post...and as I said, if you can give me some illustrations with pictures I would find it easier than text ! Sorry for the trouble, and thanks in advance!!!!! :)

I have just started learning tailoring...and even to make a jabla I struggled for over 3 weeks, as I get to work only in weekend...and now I am trying another simple one, but I want to also give neat finishes for my work...this forum is very useful for people learning tailoring !!!! thanks a lot !!!!

10. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Dear Madam,
    Thanks for the tutorial will you please give tutorial on attaching waist patti and hook pattis...Thank You once again