1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mere Boodhape Ka Sahaara (my Old Age Support)

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:A susport scene in the hands of smiling Mahathma Gandhi - the father of Nation - drove away the obdurate British from India ending the colonial rule. It also reminds me the Tamil anthology queen Aavaiyar standing erect infront of unreasonable kings of ancient Tamil Kingdoms.
    Wielding with a majestic WALKING - stick reminds me charlie CHAPLIN'S inseparable support. Hero’s like Bachman’s & KAMAL Hasan singing and dancing wildly with a scared young lass by their side in snow clad mountains.
    2. In old age support is needed during arguments and possible altercations and it is mutual between hubby and his spouse that mere show of stick would eSe the situation.
    3. Yes our tradition foreseen such circumstances and your statement in the post of KASI STICK handed over to the groom with a hand fan is indicative of potential use in self defence or self offence!
    4. The highlighted quote is icing on the cake for this thread.
    5. During dad’s sadabhishekam - completion of 80th birth anniversary - invitees presented him with as many as 12 walking sticks of various designs hues and materials. He did use these sticks during his evening walk with my mom and mom used to say that she had to support him to enable stick with him in measured pace. Later he himself used some of them for other purposes such as warding of four footed animals - cow buffaloes cats and dogs. He and mom found many uses for it like spreading wet clothes on dry lines, leading the choked drainages and cobwebs et al.
    6 In olden days orthodox women used these sticks to take out and hold dried clothes from dry lines fixed in the roof to their green room a dreaming untouched by others.
    Carrot comes to mind as I think of stick as old age support.
    upload_2019-1-30_19-52-27.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    satchitananda likes this.
  2. Thyagarajan

Deleted.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  3. Thyagarajan

The fb of mine should precede with these lines.
    The stick in the hands of a smiling, bespectacled, minimal attired Mahathma - father of the Nation - supported the cause of the freedom and drove away the imperialist and spelt the death knell for colonial rule in India.
    A stick in the hands of Tamil savant Avvaiyar United the warring kings and United them.
    A stick supported Charlie Chaplin walking along full of glee helped the Hollywood in yore of days.
    A stick and carrot irrespective of old or young strongly recommended to solve issues.
    Regards.

4. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Thyagarajan likes this.
  5. Novalis

Novalis Gold IL'ite

Why not four birds with one repurposed umbrella?

Satchoo, you must watch edgy gangster and spy movies to realize the potential of an umbrella not as lathi-sathi but as sinister contraption (third bird). After the pen, the umbrella is the covert tool to knock down your enemies. A waylaid greeting, sting from the umbrella tip, lethal substance injected into the foot, and your blacklisted enemy will never see another umbrella in their life.

Moreso efficient when the loyal umbrella is enslaved (fourth bird) into a trusted Kasa-obake, umbrellas from Japanese folklore turning into animated companions and acquiring a soul for having serviced man for long. Command that minion umbrella to do your grunt work -- dust, mop, wash dishes, take doggie for a walk, and sting your enemies further.

But then when will it offer shade (first bird) and walking support (second bird) if that obake is overburdened with poisoning your enemies (third bird) and obliging the household chores (fourth bird). Exactly! You can convince your DH that you need no such irresponsible umbrella which cannot offer the foremost bird and dispense with it. Repeat, buy an antique umbrella, summon the yokai (spirit) inhabiting that forlorn umbrella, enslave it in mundane chores, and complain to DH that the birds are flying erratic against his large stone-sized grand umbrella proposition.

satchitananda and Thyagarajan like this.
  6. satchitananda

Wow! Had never thought of third bird and did not know about the existence of the fourth one! Now, to be honest, if you had told me of this a couple of decades ago, I'd have considered killing the third bird, but wellllll....can't say I'm in a mood any longer to indulge myself with such games anymore. :) As for the fourth bird, now that is really interesting. What would I not give to have a companion from some other world?

7. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

:roflmao:
    A humorous snippet @satchitananda .

On a serious note, hope your pain goes away soon. My wishes to read your snippet on how you tossed the cane into the air and danced to the tune of the fastest rock 'n roll song, (or any of the Bollywood gyration numbers). I look forward to that snippet.

Amica, Srama and satchitananda like this.
  8. satchitananda

Thanks a lot Kamala. Hope your hubby is doing better now! Just read in Sabitha's thread about his surgery. All the best dear!

kkrish likes this.
  9. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Thank you Sats!
    He is mending slowly... my nursing skills are in full force, so much so, that sometimes I wonder if I missed my call :)

Srama and satchitananda like this.
  10. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

Yeesh! Don't throw in the towel so easily, Satchi. Paint your stick in psychedelic colors, attach a strobe light to the top and carry it with flair and aplomb. Soon all the teens will want one, too.

And dye your hair purple while you're at it. :cool: