1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Memory

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by LakshmiKMBhat, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Rajeni

Rajeni Moderator Platinum IL'ite

Dear Lakshmi,

A very nice write-up on 'Memory'. Memory is a magical attribute of the human mind. Every person's memory is different. Some more capable than the other. Some memory can store vast variety of information while other looks deeper and stores the finest details. Some memory store in black and white, while other records the entire movie. It also depends on the type of information it stores, extreme emotions whether good or bad, are etched in the memory more like a movie, recorded scene by scene and remains afresh even after years. I also, think there is no hard delete to memory. Some memory long forgotten, suddenly pops up and catch us by surprise/shock. But, we can push the negative ones down and replace it with the positive ones, instead of brooding over it - It up to us to decide which ones we should store in the RAM and which ones we should lock in a hard drive folder.

Its really sad to read about the memory loss. As people age, like all other parts, the human brain also weakens and memory fades. Its interesting to note that, the memories stored when they were young would still remain strong and fresh, its only those which the older brain stores that tend to fade. My parents often remember with much clarity what happened during their childhood and adulthood, more than what happened the previous day!

And, thats a good one about the Media memory. When media has become a full-time business without any social responsibility, its only appropriate for them to conveniently forget things as it happens. Only the TRP matters.

2. LakshmiKMBhat

LakshmiKMBhat Gold IL'ite

Very true Joylokhi. My father had dementia and it was really sad to him withdrawing into himself. He passed away last September. I think we all pray that we be mentally and physically fit till the end. Regards and thanks.

joylokhi likes this.
  3. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Lashmi
    God has set time limits for each item of our life to be retained in memory. We forget what we ate the same day last month. We forget the colour of the dress we wore on this day last month. About the earth shaking events of our childhood we just have no clue today. These are petty things but at the time of their happening, we are so obsessed with them. I have heard of guys who physically thrashed their wives for an unpalatable dinner. What will happen if these insignificant events get firmly imprinted in our minds like the birth of our child. We cry buckets at the death of a close one but at the very first anniversary, we are all smiles while welcoming our guests.
    I suffered a stroke a few months back and my memory was impaired in several areas. I am now slowly getting back my memory but getting the names of my friends is still a herculean task! A friend of mine told me that he never suffered a stroke but has been having problems with names for several years now!
    Sri

LakshmiKMBhat likes this.
  4. LakshmiKMBhat

LakshmiKMBhat Gold IL'ite

Thank you Cheeniya Sir, long back my husband's Sir had told the students that people would go mad if they remembered each and everything. Very true.