1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

# Me Too And A Knee-jerk Reaction By Men

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by GeetaKashyap, Oct 13, 2018.

1. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

@Sunshine04,

This was the precise answer a male friend gave me!

Sunshine04 likes this.
  2. GeetaKashyap

Disgusting! Many people claim that they are good face readers. How come we never heard a murmur about Aloknath before this #MeToo? To everyone, he was the face of Sanskar and goodness!

He sure must be a good actor!

Sunshine04 likes this.
  3. GeetaKashyap

@Rihana,

Here (#MeToo), all kinds of cases are there. Everyone has their justification; behti Ganga mein sab haat dho rahein hain!

In India, women, in general, don't get a hearing, justice or prompt preventive action by their higher ups. The police is overburdened and when such complaints are taken to them, women are dissuaded or ridiculed. Recently, when well known activist Anjali Damania wanted to file a civil complaint against a politician, she wasn't allowed. She staged an overnight dharna, along with her supporters, in front of the police station and only after a senior police official's efforts, the complaint was registered. In today's Newspaper, there is a report that an actress by name Kritika Sharma was refused by the Versova police station when she tried to register a complaint against the casting director, Vikas Sadana. She has complained to the State Home ministry.

Any wonder then that many women are drawing strength from the mass movement on the social media and the relative anonymity it is offering to some?

4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Using social media to share about police not recording a complaint is different from going straight to social media with sexual assault or harassment allegations. Problems with lodging complaints against politicians or rich people, celebrities are present across any type of complaint. Do we want all people with complaints to start using social media?

You mean remaining anonymous while using social media to make accusations? If any one is even remotely in favor of this or counts it as a positive, I don't know what to say.

GeetaKashyap likes this.
  5. GeetaKashyap

Rihana,

I have my own internal debate on the anonymous call outs. But having some remote experience of the harassment, I can empathise with the victim’s trauma and fear. I am not inclined to share all my experiences as I have moved on by changing tracks. I am also aware of the chances of flimsy call outs to settle scores! That’s the reason, I started my previous response with the line, "Here (#MeToo), all kinds of cases are there. Everyone has their justification; behti Ganga mein sab haat dho rahein hain!”

#MeToo is a powerful movement where many harassed women are coming out with their accounts, many of their cases are old and feeble without any credible evidences. It's difficult to have evidences against creepy hands and sexist remarks. Victimization may be proved to some extent if there are documentary or circumstantial evidences. In physical harassment cases, it is her word against his and often he is powerful or the society simply tends to give more weightage to his words. In the Kannada film industry, an actress has named a powerful hero. Hero's mother has the guts to say openly, "women must know what to expect in the industry, bear with it, make name, fame and then retire. How dare she to name my son!" With this one sentence, the lady has bared the societal attitude and many professional men and women from that industry are slut-shaming the accuser. Looking at the solidarity they are displaying, I feel sorry for that woman who dared to speak out! Yet these are the truths many women can easily empathise with as they are experiencing it on an ongoing basis. This movement has the power of clipping the entitlement mentality of those abusers and it can potentially make workplaces safer for women.

In general, our society supports men and women’s concerns are neglected and trivialized. I don’t see why we should disbelieve the truths of so many women and indirectly support the bullying men! According to the spirit of the saying, "People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones," women who have dared to bare have risked their reputations too! If the accused manage to disprove their accusers, these women stand to lose a LOT! Even after the incident, our society (many men and women) will easily forgive the men but not the women. That is the reason, in our society, rapists and acid throwers proudly get married and live their lives like anyone else!

Though going to the media bypassing the legal route is not right, we have to acknowledge the strength this movement has given to many. Even anonymous and vague accusations are acknowledged. This acknowledgement itself may help some. The victim's fear and trauma can be crippling, yet many women want to have their say. So anonymity is their strength. Their cases may not reach any conclusion but it can give them a closure.

Here, if one visits a police station with a complaint of any sort, that person will mature and become wise overnight! This is the reality;hope you read between the lines and understand what I mean.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  6. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

Geeta,
    What you said was +100% true. A few only understand the victims trauma. That is our society!

GeetaKashyap likes this.
  7. ano

ano Silver IL'ite

GeetaKashyap likes this.
  8. GeetaKashyap

I agree that politicians do try to divert nation's attention from time to time from the burning issues but the attitude of this legal eagle is appalling! He trivialises a women's issue and this man is yet another MCP!

You are right, @ano, a woman can never trust the society with these mentalities for justice.

9. GeetaKashyap

[​IMG]

@Rihana, check this article to find the ground realities in India.

10. GeetaKashyap

[​IMG]

I knew this was waiting to come out!#MeToo>Men

shravs3 likes this.