1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Married Filing Taxes Seperately

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Independentgal, Nov 30, 2018.

1. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

I wonder how its possible. I thought IRS will fine you if you dont file your actual tax. Be careful. Go to IRS website to explore more. I think there are some contact numbers you can use . Do all homework and confront him. Being silent wont help you. I think your gut feeling is right. Take control of your life. I wonder how you can continue with such a secretive person.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    shravs3 likes this.
  2. Independentgal

Independentgal Senior IL'ite

3. Independentgal

He files my taxes with using initial salary amount.I saw that on the tax summary document from IRS website.He didn’t change my salary amount since last 4 yrs.Not sure if IRS will make this an issue because I get my salary after tax.

4. Independentgal

He said I can go ahead and file seperately.I said he doesn’t have any problem with it.He told don’t come back in the future and ask to file joinltly

5. Independentgal

He does itemized deduction because we have rental property in our state. For which I don’t know how much the rent is. So if he does itemized I think also do it that way.

6. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Define "we". If this is joint property then you need to file taxes for the rental income too. Any other joint savings? Anything you probably don't know about? You should get with a tax agent to do this. Take last two/three years returns and see what is filed and start from there. I hope your husband hasn't done anything this year finance wise without your knowledge.

7. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

That hope would also apply to the wife. She can inadvertently volunteer some new or wrong information on income, and trigger audits of her joint returns from previous years. The husband's cavalier attitude regarding wife going ahead with separate tax return may come back to bite him.

Yes, she needs a tax agent/lawyer.

Intuit(Turbotax) would advice the higher income parent to claim all the children as dependents -- i.e., if the couple are amicable in filing their returns separately. Lack of inter-spousal coordination might result in the same child claimed as a dependent on both returns. However, the new rules from the Trump Tax Cuts had changed this complexity...now there is something called "child tax credit".

source<==
    The "Tax Cuts and Jobs Act," nearly doubles the standard deduction to $24,000 for married couples who file jointly and $12,000 for singles.

That's up from $12,700 for married couples and $6,350 for individuals in 2017.

The increase in the standard deduction comes at a cost, however: Starting in 2018, the tax overhaul repeals personal exemptions, which are valued at $4,050 per taxpayer, spouse and dependent in 2017.​

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    Laks09 likes this.