1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Marriage Is Failing...help!!!

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by pinky2cute, Feb 14, 2017.

1. pinky2cute

pinky2cute Platinum IL'ite

Sir, he has lied a lot about his finances, never gifted me anything not even for my birthday or our 1st anniversary though I did gift him. I never expected fancy or expensive gifts but even a small gesture to show the love would have made me happy.
    He never took me out for a single holiday till now not even honeymoon!

Thank you sir. I shall follow your advices.
    By saying the above "If he understands me and is willing to be my man.." I mean that I wish he understands that I'm his spouse/soulmate and not 'Friend with benefits' as he is treating me till now.... hiding his finances, not discussing anything about his life with me, hiding things and taking decisions relating to house/his life etc without even informing me, discussing any single dispute between us husband n wife with his parents, involving his parents in our fights, etc.

He loves me but is very immature and like a school kid goes to complain or discuss everything with his parents despite me telling him many times that he should be transparent with me and also not to involve his parents between our fights but he repeats it again.
    I never told him to separate from his parents for me. I never even asked him how much he spends on his parrnts. Infact I told him he will always be their son and should take their financial/emotional responsibilities esp since pils are not earning.

But my goodness is never appreciated or is rather taken for granted by the greedy pils and they had manipulated my husband that I'm separating him from them.

My husband gives an account of every rupee spent on me to his parents while he never shares where n for whom all he spent money. Yes I know he is earning and it's his money, but after marriage am I not too his responsibility? We are gonna share whole life with each other. Why give an account of every dime spent on me to his parents when I'm not involving in how much my husband is spending on his parents?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  2. pinky2cute

I loved reading your last few lines. I hope too that we stay away from both sets of parents and build our bond stronger and grow closer. I doubt it will happen with pils poking their noses into our bedroom.

sindmani likes this.
  3. pinky2cute

Firstly, I never used the word "SPINELESS" ... that word is too sttong to use atleast for my husband.
    I just said he is immaturr and not a very responsible husband and that is truth. He is indeed momma's boy because they brainwashed him against me and he instead of sering my unconditional love and support for him, believed in his parents lies and fought against me many times.
    I suggest you to interpret lines from other perspective before misjudging.

4. pinky2cute

Ofcourse....wife and husband are equal. Nobody is playing power games here. I wanted the husband to support wife when he knows she is right. If she is wrong, he has every right to point that out and correct her. Sameway wife will support husband when he is tight but if he is wrong, he needs to be corrected.

5. pinky2cute

Please read my reply to viswa sir for why I used the term "momma's boy" to my husband.

And I never called my husband spineless.

6. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

@pinky2cute
    Hope you have read the remaining lines of my post too...
    Leave this momma's boy or spineless argument, and my comment was in general... not specifically for you.

Dear, please leave whatever your imagination about an ideal marriage. I am sure, no one could come here and say, that their marriage is ideal as per the books, thus they are happy.
    Some, like me openly vent here, share our history and the path how we traveled. Some prefer not to share their personal life on-line, some chose to fake a perfect life here too.
    But in reality every marriage has its own dark area, where there are some or the other problems both the spouses need to work out.

The journey is not always easy... It has its ups and downs, but the travel is interesting and unavoidable.

A marriage is not always about your spouse. It is about the family, that include children, extended family, finances, job security, health, right attitude, etc..etc...

For some, their spouse may be the gift from God. An ideal, romantic, handsome, passionate husband may be a blessing. But that doesn't mean their life is always a bed of roses. Childlessness, hard and long fertility treatments, terminal or chronical illness, disability caused by accidents, and more importantly the permanent physical or mental disability of their kids can be their own dark areas of their marriage.
    Despite of the extra super spouse, they too may be combating some or the other issue in life just as you and me. That's how life is fair for everyone.
    Accept this reality and move on.

A person with a super duper husband may argue that it is a must to treat wife special, gift her on special days, and to stand up for wife all the time no matter what, and that's what called marriage. She may insist on this, because she believes in this, and lives by this.
    Her dark area of life may be something different. Perhaps a disable kid.
    Now can you argue with her and say, a child should be perfect, and bold and beautiful just like many kids, thus she should not accept this kid with disability?
    Of course her child's disability may be a huge problem in her life, and she may be combating with that paying much more efforts, and of course loosing her sanity. Perhaps, that's why God has gifted her a great spouse to balance this. Perhaps that's why she is feeling normal about her child and living a normal life despite of it.
    Life is a package. Each package is same with different combination. Accept it.

Of course your H and PILs are wrong. No doubt.
    But if your choice is not to walk out of this marriage, then you must work towards making it better.
    Doing anything to harm the marital harmony, although it is perfectly right as per you, is not a great idea, provided your ultimate goal is to live in this marriage.

Looks like your husband will not leave his parents or do anything to hurt them because of his love for you. Accept the fact that you are given a husband, who is not that ideal.
    But what you can do with this not-so-great husband is the game here.

Point is he loves you, and guarantees that he will not hurt you. Great.
    Take advantage of it, and ensure you or your family is not hurt the next time when he tries something to please his folks.
    My H has taken his own time to trust me fully and disclose his financial status despite of so much hiccups in between. Even though ours was a love marriage, and I am more than good at finances.
    My bro has shared his pay ch on the first month of his salary after marriage. He has shared all the accounts and investments in joint names with SIL immediately.
    But that alone doesn't make my bro a super husband, and my H a bad one here.
    In general, I am happy with a kind of H I am blessed with. He is more comfortable, open, and life is equal with him.
    My bro is conservative, and SIL has to obey his commands and sometimes I do feel that she is like a parrot in a golden cage. But she likes it.

So, don't compare your marriage with that of others. Not even with that of your imagination.
    Accept it and move on... If you can't accept, divorce.
    Don't dwell in two paths....JMo

sindmani, SadMarried, shifas and 2 others like this.
  7. pinky2cute

HI, I never believe in fairy tale romances or perfect marriages or perfect life or ideal husband or such terms.
    I'm a doctor and have seen many deaths infront of me, have dealt with varied emotions of patients,their relatives, etc ranging from the pain of the patient to the pain of patient's loved ones, their fear of losing a loved one.... their endless prayers to Gods and us doctors hoping for a miracle, their anger and abuses when they lose their loved one....etc.

I'm not a teenager or an ordinary college goer girl who had time for boyfriends and get pampered by them etc. Or be showered with gifts.

All my college life was spent in the company of books, books and books alone.
    The main reason I married my dh was also because I just expected a good character person who would love me, respect me and share his life with me as I would too.
    I was too busy becoming a doctor that perhaps I never had the time to even think of romance, love, physical intimacy etc. Like normal my age girl would dream of.

After lot of hit n miss matches for my marriage, when this alliance came in, I was prepared for another "NO" But somehow my husband and me connected to each other in first meet. I weighed my pros and cons and I knew there is no perfect life partner n hence I chose him mainly for his innocence and good character ( don't ask how i know his character in one meet... I have taken my own time and I have a 6th sense probably due to me being professional doctor who also has knowledge about psychology).

Now after marriage, I was hesitant at first to be comfortable around husband as I am so independent and used to living alone owing to my medical education which kept me away from parents for years.

Slowly I got accustomed to his presence....i started loving him....we got closer physically, emotionally....
    He made me feel a woman while I was just a doctor before that.
    He developed the girlish feelings in me... I started wanting to dress up for him (while as doctor I never dressed up much except formal kurti legging ...never used makeup)... I awaited his compliments for me....
    I wanted to be loved....

IS THAT A CRIME? I don't think so.

All my life I have seen endless struggles in my own life and have been a son to my parents ... I have been independent always... helped others even when I'm in pain....
    Some may think I'm bragging about myself...but no... I have suffered too much in life with respect to health issues of myself, my parents, ...spent sleepless nights at hospitals treating patients...

All i expect now is a lil bit of love from my life partner.
    If i wanted expensive gifts or luxury vacations, I would have married a millionaire.

Money is not what makes me.happy.... but fact is that money is needed to survive in lofe apart from love. I just need some love, honesty, trust, transparency in marriage.

I am not dwelling on two paths. I am not comparing my marriage with anyone. I'm more mature than my age to think of.
    I'm just wanting the base of the marriage be built on the walls of trust, honesty, respect, transparency and a floor of love.
    But in marriage "I" cannot alone build these. "WE" can build it together and in my marriage, therr is only 'I' but not 'We' till now.
    Hence I'll try to give my best to this marriage and see if he turns around and joins me in building "Our" marriage.

sindmani, NeetaR, SGBV and 4 others like this.
  8. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I want to pretend to have fever and come to your clinic/hospital just to hear this from you. : ) Is like heart-touching dialog from a Mani Ratnam heroine.

Good post. Tell him some of the things you wrote in it. Or maybe you've already...... Tell again ......... Men can be remarkably obtuse.

sindmani, NeetaR, SGBV and 2 others like this.
  9. larsonreever

larsonreever New IL'ite

Just relax, wait and see. Give time to everyone. I don't support dowry in any forms.

10. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Pinky2cute,

After reading your last response, I am fully convinced that you did everything possible to make your marriage work and if you were my daughter, I would have been very proud of what you did so far.

It is my humble view, once a person marries a woman, he should understand that he had agreed to share everything in life with his better half. There has to be a total transparency between the spouses. You have every right to know the finances of your family whether it is earned only by him or both of you.

It is also my view that two important things need to happen in order to make this marriage work. The love you both have for each other should develop into trust, respect and care for each other and it takes time. In a marriage, both spouses are equal and hence he should provide the same level of attention and courtesy that he would provide to himself. Second, sharing of information happening between the spouses with the parents is very silly. Your husband should handle it like an adult. Your husband should understand the love he has for you should culminate into healthy married life resulting in providing complete support including emotional and psychological.

Your openness in sharing the information about what went wrong in the marriage convinced me that it is your husband who need to change himself in order to become a better husband. It is clear that you are very bold and brave and hence I am sure you will handle it well. But if he reaches out to you, listen to his viewpoints including what you said earlier in a heated exchange. So far you are doing great. As the final conclusion, let me share something important. 1) Have full confidence that your husband would lead a perfect life with you over a period of time and as JAG mentioned that would be reassuring to yourself to work on it with confidence. Please don't let your mind to write your future by thinking negatively 2) Take the first step of getting together unconditionally and seek support from him in small doses. In other words, don't seek solution for all of the problems in one discussion that too before getting together and do it in stages. 3) Assure your husband that your intention is not to strain his relationship with his parents and you fully support him helping them financially with your knowledge. 4) Many will advice starting the family will help resolve issues but please understand the child should have an environment that is very conducive for the child to grow in love. Hence you both need to be perfectly in sync before starting a family.

Your last communication gave me a good feeling about your great level of understanding of life. I wish you very best of luck in life.

Viswa

sindmani, pinky2cute and yellowmango like this.