1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Marital Rape in the context of Sustainable Development Goals of a country.

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by vidhyabaskar, Mar 17, 2016.

1. vidhyabaskar

vidhyabaskar Gold IL'ite

Furthering our discussion on the thread :

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/married-life/282225-marital-rape-cant-crime-india-5.html

I would like to bring the following newspaper report, detailing what the International body, United Nations top official, (UNDP Chief) Ms.Helen Clerk said on it :

She brings criminalizing marital rape as a Sustainable Development Goal.

What I have understood so far on Sustainable Development Goals for a country are Infant Mortality Rate and Maternal Mortality Rate etc,

These are the parameters by which one judges the overall development in a country. It is fascinating to see, how a UN official sees, not criminalizing marital rape is a violation of Sustainable Development Goal for the entire country.

Here is the said news report, Read it and then comment :

Interview with the UNDP chief Helen Clark: Criminalise marital rape, says UNDP chief - The Hindu

2. WhytDove

WhytDove Senior IL'ite

The only sad part about the report for me is that India falls under the list of countries where it is not a crime.

I agree with every word in the news report and with what the UNDP chief said.

“I don’t have anything to say on any particular individual, but it is clear to me that the critical issue is one of consent,” she added.

So true are her words.

1 person likes this.
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I went and read about the Sustainable Development Goals - there is grand list of 17 goals to be achieved by 2030, such as 'No Poverty' 'Zero Hunger' 'Life on Land' 'Life below water' 'Gender Equaity' etc adopted by 150 countries.

Last time I took U.N. very seriously was when preparing for some U.N. exams in school. We got a prize for scoring well in that, and if lucky, the prize could be a book other than Wren & Martin.

Coming to the question in first post - the Sustainable Dev Goals do not seem to be defined well. The one marital rape would fall under is "Gender Equality" (Goal 5). The "targets" list of this goal include warm-and-fuzzy words such as 'strengthen' 'adopt' 'enhance' 'empower' 'recognize and value unpaid domestic work'

How can all countries have similar goals and targets?

In India, we have bigger and more elemental goals to aim for, such as more access to education for girls, more knowledge about and easier access to birth control, more training to be financially independent.

The UNDP chief saying that marital rape not being a criminal offence puts a country in contravention of the Sustainable Dev Goals is laughable. BTW, Saudi Arab and the Vatican have protested and 'have reservations' about the inclusion of homosexuality and reproductive rights. :) Will she say that Saudi and mostly Catholic countries are also in contravention of the SDG's? Pro'lly not, as she has plans to run for UN Secretary Gen position, and how many countries can she antagonize.

1 person likes this.
  4. APS45

APS45 Silver IL'ite

These are more of wish list than goals. Is there any country taking UN seriously, what are its achievements since inception, it is simply veto'ed by veto nations all the time. The positions in UN are like governor's position in India, you can relate what they can achieve.

Regarding marital rape law, it will add more harm to the delicate relationship issues between spouses than helping equality, whether it is in India or somewhere. More so, when the law presumes one gender is eternal victim and another is eternal criminal. Secondly, there is no single answer what constitute marital rape. Let us bring the consensus and clarity on that first.

In my opinion, gender relationship issues including marital consents for sex, are better dealt through social awareness, counselling, and providing education from school level for better understanding of own as well as opposite gender- physical, biological, emotional make up, uniqueness of both gender, contributions, rights and responsibilities with in the context of family, and benefit of supporting each other, and so on.

I believe, goal of equality can be achieved only on the bed rock of marriage and family system, with healthy and meaningful relationship between husband and wife, setting good example for their children to learn and adapt. Law can do nothing to build the relationship between husband and wife, between men and women in general.