Mango Contest - May & June 2010

Discussion in 'Topic of the Month - Contest' started by Laxmi, May 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kanchanarao

Kanchanarao New IL'ite

Mango- The very word sets our taste buds to a relishing mode. It is the very first fruit that most kids first develop a taste and then a craving for. It is one of the blessings of the harsh summer. One can safely say that Mangoes make the summers 'bearable' by their seasonal appearance!

Our Indian cusine does not allow us to relish this king of fruits only in its natural form. We have umpteen number of recipes available using this fruit both in its raw and ripe form. I will share two such recipes with the members of IL.

Ripe mangoes-

Take 3-4 ripe and juicy mangoes, preferably ones with a lot of fibre. Make a few oblong cuts on the mango deep enough to cut the skin. Then pull out the skin squeezing out the juice from it. Now squeeze out the pulp of the skinned mangoes. Retain some of the pulp on the seed. To this mixture add jaggery and coconut milk. This mango preparation is delicious to drink chilled. It can also be served with a variety of dishes such as chapathis, pooris, iddiyapams, for which it complements surprisingly well.

Raw mangoes-

Cut and boil a raw mango along with turmeric, salt, a handful of jaggery and water. Fry 2 spoons of urad dhal, 1.5 spoons of channa dhal, 1 spoon of white til, half spoon of methi, 3 red chillies and bay leaves in a little oil. Grind this with half a coconut and add this to the boiled mango. Cook for few minutes till the mixture boils and serve with rice, chapathis or even idlis.

2. pandusk

pandusk Gold IL'ite

According to me mango is

M MOUTHWATERING
    A ATTRACTIVE
    N NECTAROUS
    G GOOD FOR HEALTH
    O OUTSTANDING FRUIT

3. Saisakthi

Saisakthi IL Hall of Fame

Mango & Life Harhar
    Lovely Life :) tastes astringent
    Like just transformed Mango from flowers
    Lifts up sour :ranttoo, at times,
    Life is SWEET many times as
    :wow RIPE MANGO :bonk

Attached Files:

4. hamsadhvani

hamsadhvani Junior IL'ite

Hi all
    Have anyone tried the mango variety available only at Mayiladuthurai? called Pathiri mango. It was planted by a father of a church long ago and so called as pathiri mampazham. Even though i tried lots of varieties but yet to find a tasty and very unique flavour of the mango. It is only available in Mayuram or Mayiladhuthurai. Every year during the mango season people ia mauram buy this and send to their relatives.
    After my marriage i moved to Chennai my mom will buy and send it to me who ever comes to chennai. Now i am singapore i really miss miss miss the mango and i really want to eat this. Even though i get few varieties of Indian mango in Singapore its all only secondry in taste and the flavour. Even the alfonso.
    When me and my sisters were young each of us take one full mango and go to our garden and climb on to the bamboo poles ( maligai pandal) supporting the jasmin plant and sit there and eat the mangoes. Every year we plant few of the seeds in our garden and every day look in to the place for the new plant and after some time we forgot about that.
    Even though i am reaching to be 50 in few years of time i still remember all this and always sing "Antha naalum Vantidatho"
    I want that mango now.
    Any one from Mayuram will say ya its true.

5. hamsadhvani

hamsadhvani Junior IL'ite

Mango morkuzambu.
    Mango 1 (Not a fully ripened )
    Coriander seeds 1 t.spoon
    Cumin seeds 1 t.spoon
    kadalai parupu 2 t.spoons
    Soak these 3 ingredients and grind it with 3 table spoons of grated coconut, a piece of ginger and few green chilies.
    Slightly soar curd 1 cup
    Cut the mango keep aside
    Boil the grined paste and curd and add mango before it boils too much. simmer the stove and boil it for few mins. Add salt.
    Heat 2 spoons of coconut oil and add mustard seeds and curry leaf. Add to the kuzambu and cover the vessel.

6. kaviarora

kaviarora New IL'ite

Mango fruit has been found to protect against colon, breast, leukamia and prostate cancer. Fresh mango is a very rich source of potassium, potassium is an important component of cell and body fluids that helps controlling heart rate & blood pressure.
    Mango peels are also rich in phytonutrients.
    Cutting Tip: Using a sharp knife, cut through the flesh down either side of the central seed. This way you get two big haves of a mango. Then, take on half and score the flesh in a horizontal & vertical pattern taking care not to cut deep through skin. its like a chess board now invert the whole half to push out the cubes.
    Mango latex allergy especially with raw, unripe mangoes in some sensitized individuals. Immediate reactions may include itchiness at the angle of the mouth, lips and tip of the tongue. In some people the reactions can be severe, with manifestations like swelling of the lips, ulceration at the mouth angles, vomiting and diarrhea. however, people with known case of mango allergy may have to avoid them
    Mango are wonderful blood cleanser and also prevent body odour & its provide the body with strength & stamina.
    Beauty Tips Taking mango regularly makes the complexion fair & the skin soft & shining.
    Tips for health Roast a ripe mango on hot stand in a pan. Sucking the juice of this mango eliminates all the bronchial congestion & gives relief in cough. sucking the juice and not eating cut mango is better for health.
    keep in a cool place.:bonk

7. madhuharini

madhuharini Silver IL'ite

Wow, Mango, when u talk about it it was mouth watering.
    In my moms home there are 45yrs old mango trees give shelter, breeze and mangoes in season.THey are malgoa and imampasand varities.They are very sweet and my mom send all our relatives atseason.I know all of u know many ways of cooking with mangoes.Here
    FEW RECIPES IN MANGO.

Pickles: Vadumanga: Take the small non growed mangoes called maavadu,wash them and let it dry.Add little caster oil and let it spead.then add salt powder(note:make the salt powder,not the sale salt powder),chillipowder,turmeric,and asafoectida powder.Mix them well.Put in a mud pot or glass jar.Close the jar by a clean cloth.After 4 days mixit with a dry spoon.After 10 days u can use it.
    Pachadi: Cut mangoes in square pieces and cook them adding turmeric powder.Take half cup of coconut and grind it with jeera and green chilli.put it into the mango,add salt and little jaggery.After 5 mits add frid mustard and karuveppilai.
    Mango payasam: Cut well riped mangoes into small pieces and boil them.Stir with a wooden spoon make it a smooth paste.Add sugar cordamum powder.Cook for 5 mits.add fried cashewnut and kunguma poo.
    Add little milk when serving.If u want chill gheer kept in fridge.:biglaugh

Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
  8. uma_vijayakumar

uma_vijayakumar New IL'ite

Real Mango Juice
    How to have?.............

No sugar...No milk... No other Process

Take a fully ripened Mango
    Just rub it with hands around all the sides..like we do the lemon for juicing
    Pierce a hole at the top of the Mango
    Suck the juice...by pressing the fruit from the bottom side to top
    We used to have real Mango juice like this.. And will get the real taste of it. :thumbsup

Loving,
    Uma

9. archanagee

archanagee New IL'ite

Hi all,
    Yummy thread I would say..
    But when i am asked to write a few words on mango, I could think of it only with a note of sorrow because what comes to my mind now is a famous poem in malayalam called "mambhazham"[means mango] written by Vyloppilly Sreedhara Menon.
    Its a story of mom who lost her little son. The synopsis is like this:During a mango season, the kid plucks the flowers from a mango tree and plays with it[spoils it]. Seeing this, the mom scolds him for spoiling the flowers which would have otherwise turned into ripe mangoes and also says"you are the one who has to pluck and enjoy the mangoes when it ripens. Still you spoilt it!." The kid becomes sad. Tears rolls down his cheeks and he says "I am not coming to pluck the mangoes." and it so happened that those words turned true.
    The kid dies of some disease before the flowers bloom into mangoes.
    The ripe mangoes are left in the tree itself without having anyone to pluck them. The guilt and the sadness hurt mom very badly. In the end,she submits 2 mangoes at the kid's grave and she feels that her son comes near her as a breeze.
    Its such a touching poem. I studied it when i was in 6th std. Still I cant forget it. :-(

10. libra4164

libra4164 Silver IL'ite

Hi Ladies,
    Just the thought of mangoes makes my mouth water, ripe or not! I remember as kids we used to go to our grandparents' village and enjoy the mango season to the fullest. There were rooms full of a variety of mangoes from different trees with different tastes. Just the thought of those days brings a smile on the face and tears in my eyes. Those days will never come back but then those memories will always be there in my heart to be shared with my kids.
    One of my favourite ways of enjoying the delicious taste of mangoes, long after mango-season has ended, is by making Murabba. Murabba is a sweet mango pickle that I can store in my fridge for an entire year! I'd like to share my recipe for Murabba with you, so that you too can enjoy mangoes all year round.

Ingredients:
    1 Dozen Alfonso mangoes (not too ripe and not too sour) peeled and sliced
    6 cups of sugar
    1 cup of water
    4 limes' juice
    Saffron
    1 cinnamon stick
    A few cloves
    Cardamom seeds
    A handful of almonds (skin removed by dipping them in hot water for a couple of minutes)

Method:
    Mix sugar and water in a heavy bottom pan and keep it on medium flame. As soon as all the sugar has melted, add in the mango slices. It will foam slightly on top; this foam can be discarded. In about 10 minutes, add the juice of 4 limes. After that, add all the spices. Let it simmer on medium flame, until the syrup becomes a bit sticky.
    Store it in clean sterilized glass bottles so you can enjoy mangoes all year round!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.