1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Making Guests More Comfortable In America

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Rihana, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

What are the little and big things you do to make guests in your home more comfortable? Or seen people do for you when you visited their home.

This is about guests staying for a weekend or a few nights. They might be visiting from India or elsewhere. Could be family or friends.

I am suddenly craving the praise or title of "she takes such good care, so thoughtful", so looking for suggestions.

All ideas most welcome, but actively seeking ones that don't involve cooking.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    sindmani and Nonya like this.

2. Rihana

Here's a few things I've done for guests sometimes that they said were thoughtful, and sometimes remembered for long after the visit:

Like a hotel, set up supplies of new toothbrush, small toothpaste, 2-3 kinds of soaps, lotions, shampoo, small paper bags for discrete disposal of feminine items. Skipped the mint on the pillow and shaping towels into animal shapes.. that would be too weird.

Provided comfortable slippers to wear in home.

Provided a mug with handle, so they can use water instead of toilet paper. : ) This was before the bidet came along.

Amica, sindmani and Sunshine04 like this.
  3. Deborah

Deborah Gold IL'ite

i do the same in the guest bathroom.Also keep the guest bedroom closet stocked up with extra linen,blankets ,towels ,laundry bag etc.

Amica, Rihana and sindmani like this.
  4. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Most of what you listed. I also leave a carafe of water, Wifi password, subway passes and a list of websites for local areas of interest.

Amica, Rihana and sindmani like this.
  5. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

Nice to have this list. Like @Rihana said, if the host over-does this, she'd end up getting tips.... or at least having the guests talk about it among themselves.

In addition to the lists above, as our home is a no-shoe zone, we offer indoor sandals with ankle elastic straps (so that they don't flip or flop), and if they are from forin (usually they are), then we offer local mobile phone for use while loitering in town on their own.

Amica and Rihana like this.
  6. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

There is nothing more to add.
    BTW . you may become the house for everyone to crash in. Then you will be lamenting here like vedhavalli

HazelPup, BhumiBabe, Amica and 6 others like this.
  7. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Quelle horreur! No one-size-fits-all fleece bath robe and continental breakfast in bed?

I am never going to bunk at your inhospitable place. Whump!

The next door Bramarambika Agarwal has promised 1 GB complimentary data download with a reasonable 2 cents per MB tariff on excess.

Sunshine04 and Rihana like this.
  8. SriVen

SriVen Silver IL'ite

We use to give our master bedroom.Morning before they wake up,I finish making coffee and breakfast.After their return from site seeing providing dinner.sometimes packing lunch too.But nowadays feeling little tired of doing everything.

Rihana likes this.
  9. Rihana

: ) We are past that stage of life and of being unable to say No. Had one experience of self-invited guests with little kids, and after that learnt to say No. A quick enough learner I am. : )

Friends and old classmates are now more able to travel alone or just with spouse, and it is nice to host them as their staying in a hotel lessens the hours to talk. The experience is indescribable as we catch up and talk on topics we didn't even think of. Such as, "so do you think marriage is worth it?" That each one pauses and really thinks and gives a well thought out answer, is beautiful to behold. The least I can do is make such guests more comfortable. : ) : ) As a bonus, conversations are sometimes with the spouses around.

So, I wanted to update my hosting finesse and habits. : ) I was thinking there must be so many more articles, gizmos and disposable things available that I never knew. I am not talented at cooking, and that is a huge advantage.

Sunshine04 likes this.
  10. Rihana

Hmmm.. that can be a lethal combo: giving up one's bedroom, cooking early in the morning and growing older doing that..

Used to do some of that. Now, no cooking, and they are mostly on their own during the day, and I also have the convenience of an in-law unit. A separate entrance to their room.

SriVen likes this.