Maha Shivarathri 2012

Discussion in 'Pujas Prayers & Slokas' started by malaswami, Feb 12, 2012.

1. malaswami

malaswami Platinum IL'ite

Maha Shivarathri

This festival is particularly awaited by Hindu women. On Maha Shivarathiri, married and unmarried women perform puja with great faith, as Goddess Parvati who is also called 'Gaura', is regarded as the giver of 'suhaag' - good husbands, marital bliss and a long and prosperous married life. One can therefore see find women enthusiastically observing the fast and performing the rituals Shiva Pujas on the day.

It is also believed that on Shivarathiri, Lord Shiva became 'Neelakandan' or the blue-throated by swallowing the deadly poison that came up during the churning of "Ksheer Sagar" (Amrit-Manthan) or the milky ocean.

The poison was so deadly that even a drop in His stomach, which represents the universe, would have annihilated the entire world.

Again On the advice of Lord Vishnu, Gods approached Lord Shiva for help and protection as only he could swallow it without being affected. On the request of gods and out of compassion for living beings, Lord Shiva drank the poison.

However, Paarvathi - Lord Shiva's consort pressed his neck so that the poison does not reach his stomach. Hence, He held it in His neck, which turned blue due to the effect of poison. Shivarathiri is therefore also a day of thanksgiving to the Lord for protecting us from annihilation.

Maha Shivarathiri is the auspicious festival celebrated by devotess of lord shiva all over the world.This is considered as the special day to worship Lord Maheshwarar and mediate on him to obtain the blessings of Sadashivan.

Lord Shiva is known to have given Yoga to humans for their welfare through her first disciple Maa Paarvathi in the start of creation.

6 people like this.

2. shashiv

shashiv Gold IL'ite

Dear Swamji,

That was good said about Maha Sivarathiri.... Thanks for sharing this info...

Shanti

3. sitharaj

sitharaj Gold IL'ite

when is shivaratri this year?
    i remember my (Kannada) friends fasting the whole day during shivaratri; but in my place (Kerala)- i have seen the practise of staying awake the whole night...

what is the correct way of doing the rituals on that day?

4. ssm014

ssm014 Platinum IL'ite

Thanks for the post

very informative

Can you also please tell us any guidelines for fasting, prayers etc....

1 person likes this.
  5. malaswami

Please check the following link on Wikipedia for more information on Maha Shivarathri rituals and practices

Maha Shivarathri

Thanks and regards to all :)

1 person likes this.
  6. malaswami

But my tradition is to Chant Sri Rudram and Panchakshari Mantra the whole day
    and perform my regular Pooja to my Lord Shiva.
    Thanks again

7. LLavanya

LLavanya Gold IL'ite

Thanks for sharing this news.

8. pranatim

pranatim Platinum IL'ite

Very informative post. Thanks for sharing it. This year its on 20th of February. I fast on that day and lit lamp in the temple in the evening and then have food.

1 person likes this.
  9. malaswami

my Lord Shiva always bless you Pranatim

Regards
    Malaswami

10. murphybaby77

murphybaby77 Gold IL'ite

As Mahaswamy says MahaSivarathri is a thanks giving day to Lord Siva.different states in India celebrate in different ways but ultimately the whole concept is the same.yes they pray to lord siva.shiva is abhishekapriyan. Hence whole day 24hr abhisekam is performed in temples,with Sri redraw chantings.

At home siva podia is performed specially.

Some places rudrajapam,homam etc will be arranged.

In north especially in Delhi I have seen people collecting money like vinayaka chathurrthi,arrange bhajans,make models of kailash,amaranth,Etcreally it will be informative to children.sweets &candies will be distributed for the whole day.

Which ever way we do prayer it will sure reach god.so let's pray lord Namachivaya.

1 person likes this.