1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Looking For Some Wise Advise/help!!!!

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by unluckygirl123, Jul 25, 2016.

1. unluckygirl123

unluckygirl123 New IL'ite

Hi,
    Very long post Alert!!!

This is my first post in IL. I am here for some moral guidance from you all. I am from Trichy, 28.5 years old, working currently in Chennai and my boyfriend in SGP. I am in a serious relationship with my collegemate since 8 years now. My family is not from a high financial background and my BF knows this. Father has some loans to settle and I have helped whatever I can so far. When I opened up to my family regarding our love few yrs back, they opposed very strongly that I even had to leave the family for 4 years with no contact. My boyfriend family had half-heartedly agreed 3 years before (i.e., they dont know my family background then). Initially his parents told even if her parents dont come we ll get u married stuffs. Later when we asked them to arrange for wedding, they told get her parents only then we ll arrange for the wedding because people will ask about the girl's background/whereabouts. So I struggled a lot to make my parents accept for the wedding. Now they have reluctantly agreed. Hence I asked his parents to come and have a formal talk. They also came and after coming to know that we are from a poor background, insulted my parents badly that we are behind them for money and laid so many other accusations on us with lot of thimiru talks. This has left my parents really hurt. My boyfriend is ready to accept me whatever the situation is. He is ready to leave everyone for my sake. He even wanted to go for court marriage which I strongly objected as I wanted to marry only with both parents blessings in the formal way and also want to stay with in laws and other relatives. My friends advise me to just get married to him privately and not to waste time on parents anymore. Advising is easy but my conscience does not let me to.

So ladies, I really appreciate any suggestions/guidance/advise from anyone for my following questions.
    >Should i wait for both parties to reconcile and get us married in a formal way?
    >or should i just get married to him privately and start my life?
    >Did I commit a mistake of loving someone who is in a higher status than mine?
    >Will we both be able to manage ourselves with no family support?

Thanks in Advance for all your advise.
    -Unluckygirl since birth

2. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

this looks like movie love...

so tough..should we hurt parents for love or should be give up on love??
    Hmm..
    well..wait for some more time to convince them,if not choose your "priority"

If i wear you,I will be practical at this time.how?
    If the guy looks good,educated,good human then I will go ahead and get married..
    coz we also have to think about our future?love is one thing but you should see how secure your future also is with this guy.
    If this is jusst blind love,i will wait for him to get settled and then see what needs to be done

PhoenixAwoken and unluckygirl123 like this.
  3. sanarthi

sanarthi Silver IL'ite

Hi Unluckygirl123,

this was the same situation with my marriage also. But we waited for 7 ( 2003 to 2011) long years for the parents to calm down.
    when we both waited parents themselves came down and arranged for marriges inspite of the finincial differences.

The key here is your thought. You have to be confident and believe that this marriage will happen with all the relatives and parents around. People around can tell you to marry and not to waste time. you have waited all these 4 yrs, try waiting more for 2 years... Believe that marriage will happen. dream about your marriage. you can feel some philosophy. But this is the truth with my side. had i not believed, 2 families with different background both financially & culturally would not have come down to arrange our marriage

Based on my situtations i am suggesting you..

Good luck friend.

unluckygirl123 and anika987 like this.
  4. unluckygirl123

Thank you Anika and Sanarthi for posting your views. Well, regarding securing our future, I would say we both are in a good position. The point here is after so many insults to my parents, will the boys parents come down to arrange the wedding? We both are 29 now I dont mind waiting provided his parents agree to the wedding without stating financial reasons. Looking at the way his parents spoke, they just wanna insult and get rid of us so that they can find a better match for him. That is what confuses me.

5. sanarthi

sanarthi Silver IL'ite

In all love marriages, parents wanted to cut off the pair and wanted to arrange a good pair for their ward, regardless of their ward's happines.. This is not a new issue.

In every part of India, even in arranged marriages, Boy's parents will have these kinds of attitudes.

if your bf stands aganist their parents letting them know what ever time it takes he will marry only you, sure they will come down. It is in your husband's hands. Tell your bf to talk to some of his relative so that they can convience his parents.

At your side, you have to be strong aganist your parents. Sure your love will workout. Never let doubts creep in..

Belief works best only if you believe in.

blindpup10 and unluckygirl123 like this.
  6. unluckygirl123

Well, we are trying all possible ways to convince each side. When his parents accepted, my side was not ok. Now when mine is ok, his side is backing off. His relatives are the main cause for ruining our relationship. They say some nonsense to his parents that the girl would separate your son from you, she will use your son's money for her family loans, etc etc stuffs. My bf is well aware of that. He is just annoyed with all the politics happening inside due to his relatives.

7. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

And you still want this......

Why? Why do you want both sides in a formal wedding when you know the economic difference is too great and it matters to his parents?Do you want your parents to be formally insulted in front of a larger audience for something they have no hand n and no control over.?Is this the return they get for loving you and raising you?

Why do you want to live with them after marriage?Do you think they are going to change as people or their thinking is going to change?

OP....do you trust this guy to stand by you?
    Do you think you both can have a good life with what you earn?
    Do you think this guy will be okay living without the luxury that his financially strong family provides him?
    Do you think he will be able to do this without resentment?

If you feel the guy is gong to stand by you and you both can have a good life ....go head and have a court wedding.Take your parents too for the wedding.Don't burden your parents with having to deal with people who are likely to humiliate them.It s also not fair to expect them to conduct a wedding that is beyond their means.

If you choose to have a court wedding....plan for it.
    Find a place to stay,save a few months rent.Buy some of the basic stuff that you both will be requiring for the start of new life. Then only marry ,Sometimes the reality of life makes the romance fade away.

Good Luck.

8. sanarthi

sanarthi Silver IL'ite

I agree with YellowMango on the below.

At times The reality of life makes romance fade away.

On trying to convience both parents we lost our temper and his parents seeing his boy completely changed and stubborn came down.

Relatives are always the same. His parents will get a point / situtaion where they have to choose between their ego and their son.

Sure that point they will come down. be confident

unluckygirl123 likes this.
  9. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

If you do choose a court marriage. Inform in laws in advance(a few days if in the same city) and send them an invitation /card(even if it is hand written) to the court with date and time.Rest leave it to them.If they want to come,they can come.

If they relent and ask you to stall and have a proper wedding,plan a simple temple wedding instead but do not postpone.Give them the option of organizing the reception if they want.

NeetaR and unluckygirl123 like this.
  10. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

I want to add something,

Even if you get married now, after few months or years or after baby is born your in-laws will come into picture. Now itself your BF can't stop insulting etc to your parents. tomorrow can u be sure that they may not be insulting you.
    Before marriage u think after marriage everything will be ok, but after marriage u are tied, if ur H is not nice and can't stand for u that is the problem.

It all depends on how the guy is, is he very nice human with good values and as a person general is he good? Do u think he always impresses with his good behaviour. You both discuss all these issues tomorrow will come , if u both together in everything and discuss other can't separate you both,

NeetaR and unluckygirl123 like this.