1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

living with inlaws...lose of freedom....its hell...

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Ria84, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Ria84

Ria84 Bronze IL'ite

How to live with inlaws who treat you like u are an outsider (70 % of the time) and my kids and their son as theirs.

My H is the only son....and I was very naive when I got married ... didnt know any of these...I wouldnt have married their son at all. I have to live with them all my life and it is a hell. AM I meant to do their seva all my life? Damn...

Although My FIL and MIL are within age range of 65 to 75, they are healthy. Why the hell shd I do their seva when they are healthy and can do it themselves..like serving food etc...They do all sorts of seva to their child and grand kids. They never even bother ask have I had anything. Shd I do their seva thinking I am serving GOD inside them (mentioned in the hindu scriptures) even after they treat me like that.

Dont mind doing it when they are ill.

I feel like running away...seriously...I cannot be in that JAIL. My sister is soo lucky...she is staying in the US and What have I done..like bad karma in my previous births that I have to live with them.

2 people like this.

2. tulip2012

tulip2012 Silver IL'ite

Dear Friend,
    Cool down.. we are are here to support you.
    I can very well relate to what you say.
    As if you are some alien who wouldnt want any care or fair treatment.
    Same happens for all.
    First thing I say is to become engaged in a hobby and have your own time for your own wishes. Dont compromise on that.
    Slowly create a space for your own.. and start living your self. I am not telling you should stop doing things for them
    Do but do not over do.

3. JigsSM

JigsSM Silver IL'ite

Yes I agree with what tulip2012 says.

You can try to do some hobby.
    See i know that all DILs have problems with their PILs in some way or other. So i would suggest you that either try to develop a good relation with them if you do not have. Try to talk to them and ask about them, i feel if you give respect to them they will in turn ask about you.
    If they are orthodox or of old beliefs that DIL has to be behaved like this then i am not sure this will work, but you can try.
    For E.G. sometimes you can ask your MIL to prepare something which she knows and you do not know. She wil also get involved in household work. You can ask her to share your work. Try to do some part-time job which will keep you busy.
    Get confidence from your DH to talk with his parents to behave nicely with you.

I know its like a JAIL when we stay with in-laws like thre are some restrictions. But due to this do not try to stress yourself and your life. You be happy and make time for yourself. be involved with your kid.

Also never compare yourself with others. it makes your life more HELL. you never know what is your sister's destiny. May be there will be something good for you too. You need to try to be happy in this situation as well you never know... & thinking that they will be always with and cursing yourself is not a solution.

See if ti works. All the best.

4. pear

pear Gold IL'ite

Comparing life with your sisters life is not going to improve your peace of mind.Your sister could be facing a different kind of problems.Life is not always rosy in US .There too you have new set of difficulties.All those rosy face book pic dont show any of it to you.

Be happy with what life has given.Try to improve your happiness quotient by bringing changes in your daily living.If you dont like to be in the beck and call of your inlaws opt for a job or do a course that can fetch you one.Break your routine with something interesting.Its not a fault to get jealous of your sibling who had flown to a lively dreamy life making you feel that you had been short sighted in your choice.But the same attitude is not going to allow you to have a peaceful mind. Sit calm ,analyse life,think of what could make you happy and bring those changes in life.

4 people like this.
  5. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

1)Don't compare.
    2)Stop having expectations from in laws.You have your expectations from husband and children to love you .
    3)Set happiness goals for yourself.What do you want that is missing from your life(other than same treatment from in laws).What do you not like about living together.
    4)Find ways to solve them.

e.g...If lack of privacy is an issue....make a little life for yourself within your home. Make your bedroom,balcony your retreat.Make it as comfortable as you like.If not getting to watch TV is a problem...get a second tv and keep in bedroom.

If too much work is a problem....get inlaws involved in some work.Keep a maid to help out.

Make alone time with husband. Leave the kids with in laws and go for movies,shopping with husband.Take advantage og in laws presence.

If finances is a problem...ask husband to give you spending money,work towards getting a part time job and save.

You respect in laws ...but don't run circles around them. Do the basic.They are healthy...if they can take care of son and grandchildren...they can serve themselves.
    Don't add on new jobs for yourself.Delegate.

8 people like this.
  6. Iamagoodgirl

Iamagoodgirl Platinum IL'ite

Do you do job?If not then start immediately.Many women do job to maintain their sanity.

2 people like this.
  7. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

You all did a nice job of telling the suffering OP how to adjust. :-(

3 people like this.
  8. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Ria, aside from having to do their 'seva', do you face any issues with them? And by seva, what do you mean? Do they object to you sitting with them and eating? Do they expect you to serve them, pick their dirty plates etc.,?

9. confusedwoman

confusedwoman Silver IL'ite

Dear OP,
    I am assuming you can't leave and get a different house due to husbands refusal.
    My solution is become the mistress of the house. Put your foot down if you don't line anything....anything at all like you don't want children to go out as they have to sleep, you are ok with them going after half hour. You don't want to cook Saturday and Wednesday as you are fasting for pooja. Who want food can cook for themselves.Servant should let you know before getting anything into home or when she is coming and leaving. Don't go to parties unless you have been told a week or so before. Own that house, let's see how you will be an outsider ;)

1 person likes this.
  10. monita

monita Platinum IL'ite

1 person likes this.